Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I still think that someone needs to question either an engineer or maybe someone in the hotrod association regarding possabilties of building a 195? AC ace and hot rodding it.

I would do it but I have very little time during normal business hours and I am so far away from where it is most active.

I am a member of a few hotrod sites so I will post the question in them to see if anyone can shed some light.
Unfortunatly a very good website for this sort of question has recently closed down so I cant ask there.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, 302Windsor HO Stock
Not Ranked     

I've heard that a lot of rods are only able to be driven to & from an event or on special permits. Not sure about the facts of this though, but is that a limitation you'd want on your car. Not being able to drive when you want??
If the motor looks stock, clean but stock then how are the EPA knobheads going to know if you've stroked or polished or ported or balanced.
I know the usual plan is to put rocker covers with big writing about Edelbrock or Trickflo etc but if you hold off on the show pony gear then you should have a better chance of cruising through a spot inspection.
My 2 cents worth
Cheers
Batman
Old 03-31-2005, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Batman

I think you are on the right track.

Mass air flow sensors, throttle bodies, injectors are all things that can be altered and show some significant gains and are not obvious.

I attended at the EPA inspection point in Hamilton today to get some details.

I was shocked to find out that the noise level is 90dBA for cars built registered after September 1983. This did not sound right to me.

I later checked the RACV site under noise/emission and they also state the level post September 1983 is 90dBA.

OK has someone removed or moved the goal Posts. As I did not think the 90 dBA was in until late 1990's..

I can only say, that this sh!t is very serious stuff and I'm quite happy to contact anyone. Just PM me and I'll ring and fill you in.

This three month campaign by the EPA will be ongoing and its guaranteed that we will get caught in the net they are throwing to get the f!ckheads off the road.

Street Rods in Victoria have the option of going on SR.... plates. This is Special Registration (some think SR stands for Street Rod) and is similiar to CH plates.

Read the warning about CH plates and use of them on the
VicRoads site. They are really clamping down on frequent use of vehicles on CH plates.

Additionally, the Street Rod Federation - Victorian Branch has a set of guidelines for Street Rod registration with carbies etc. etc.

The guy in Hamilton indicated that these guidelines are up for review and there is a possibility that some Street Rods will be looked at. There is a concern that some Street Rods have been registered under the guidelines and have been altered afterwards.

..now who would do this.

The EPA guy in Hamilton told me that they are really focused on noise at the moment and have set the new flying squad (his words) up to round up the noisy and emissions illegal cars.

Much of this appears to be to satisfy residents near freeways etc.

Have fun whilst you can...

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 03-31-2005, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC. 306 Windsor, TFS Track Heat heads, X303 cam, TFS Upper & lower manifold. Accufab t/b, 24 lb inj's, Autronic ECU. Tremec 5 speed,
Not Ranked     
Red face EPA's words

Straight from the EPA website.

"resist the temptation to ‘hot up' your car - research has shown that cars altered beyond manufacturers' specifications do not run as well and are considered worse polluters. Besides, in Victoria it's ILLEGAL to modify a vehicle. So, if you are caught, you will not only be fined, but you will have to change it back!"

That does it; I'm shifting states.
Chris

Old 03-31-2005, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

F*ck it!! I'm moving to Queensland and taking my tax dollars with me.

The EPA and the Vic Government with their legalised extorsion policies can kiss my pimply white ass!!

Old 04-01-2005, 12:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

OH NO!

NOOOOOOO

You mean we gotta put up with you lot as well as ya smokey alloy blocked chev powered toys.

Thats polution at it's worse.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If we all go to Queensland the I.Q. level of both states will increase.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

LOL at SVO429, I had to think about it for awhile but then I figured out how both could go up.
Hmm does that make my IQ fairly low?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

hehehehehe!

I thought that was pretty funny too.

well...sorta
Old 04-01-2005, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Tiny rip off of an old Ozzie Kiwi joke but Ill let you get away with it.

Speaking of which...Go the Tahs against Canterbury tonight. Les...just what is going on with the reds this season?????
Old 04-02-2005, 12:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill

I was amazed today when reading a certain site how easy it is for "Concerned Joe Citizen" to ring a car number or log on a car number that they feel is noisy.

I guess by now, most people have seen the dob in a driver in who throws rubbish out of their car. Adds will soon appear encouraging "Concerned Joe Citizen" to dob in a noisy or smokey car to a 1800........ .... phone number.

Guess next time someone cuts me off in the Cobra, I'll wave and say that's OK no problem.

Bernie

Bernie
Old 04-02-2005, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thats right Bernie

I was reported to the E.P.A. by Vic police .I was unaware of this untill i recieved a letter from E.P.A. stating to get the car tested at a licenced testing station (usually an exhaust fitting place nominated by E.P.A.). This was two years ago and it had to be 90 db measured at one metre and 45 degrees from the ex pipe at 2/3 of its power potential, this works out at about 3300 rpm.
They also use an independant tacho,so you cant fool them with a recalibrated tacho.

Good luck with your projects.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill

It appears that the EPA have no power to take you down to 90dBA. That is assuming your vehicle was registered and engineered at 95dBA.

You get it checked. The tester tells you that you are 95dBA and that you fail.

You send the check report to the EPA and tell them you failed current legislation but meet your registration level of 95dBA.

That I am told by a legal eagle is the end of it.

The 90dBA is not back dated to 1983. As much as they would like it to be.

The 90dBA is back dated to 1983 for any vehicle that is presented for testing for registration today. You take in your 1984 car for registration today and it must meet 90dBA. Per Schedule 1 - 2003.

If its currently on the road engineered and registered at 95dBA then its 95dBA.

Let me say 95dBA is very quite. XW/XY GT's stock exhaust levels.

Bernie

Last edited by BMK; 04-07-2005 at 05:51 AM..