Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2005, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     
Default How much HP is ENOUGH?

Simple enough question really, how much horsepower is enough? How much horsepower do you all have and if you have put your Cobra down the strip what does that horsepower equate to in terms of quarter mile times? I am sure 422hp/312kw by Mr Garrett H would be an insane car to drive and am wondering if he thinks if he has enough. How much horsepower in a Cobra is enough to say blast a SS or Rex or even a R1 back to hwere they come from. I am sure this thread will cause some great debate.

Blair
Old 06-27-2005, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Daytona Coupe done to replicate CSX-2299 at the '64 LeMans
Not Ranked     

I don't know.........I'll tell you when I get there!!

http://www.rehobothproperties.com/coupe.htm
Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

12.20sec 1/4 mile: Gold DRB(Peter Hancock), Ford 302 EFI N/A(mild), 250rwhp, street tyres, T5, Ford 9" live.

12.24sec 1/4 mile: Black Harrison(John White), Lexus 4lt EFI N/A(stock), 220rwhp, street tyres, Tremec, Skyline independent.

These two guys can punch out these sort of times all day. Were also 2 fastest cars(5lt class) in 1/8th mile drags at Nationals last year.

The Harrison is approx. 200kgs lighter than the DRB...not due to any great engineering, just didn't fit all the creature comfort and polished stuff when we built it.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4819, 427 all aluminum
Send a message via AIM to CWCobra
Not Ranked     

If you can leave a black mark from where you power out of a turn until you have to star braking going into the next turn, then you have enough HP. Conrad
Old 06-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

At over 600 horse I had "to much". The price for that kind of horse power, in my case, amounted to an engine just barely suitable for the street and the constant search for "race gas".

I dropped the horse power to about 500, with lower compression, "softer" Holley carbs and a more mild cam. I couldn't be happier. Was running 11.90 and now running 11.99. In both cases a nice easy launch and NOT trying to set any records. It's "fast enough", gets better mileage and is totally "street friendly"!
Old 06-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Awhile back someone knowledgeable said "If you can't break the tires loose at any speed in any gear, you don't have enough horsepower, but if you can, you have too much...so what's the right amount?"
Old 06-27-2005, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: The one leaving fat black marks
Not Ranked     

Excaliber... sounds similar to what dad has just done... not the times though

I have seen cars with half the power out perform cobra's on numerous ocasions...

What is your primary use for the car? Drags? Track? Road?

Drags - too much Horses are never enough, but dont forget the suspension and drivetrain have to go OK too... but out & out power will be suffice.

Track - get your car handling righ twith good suspension and even better tyres... people spend all this money on engine then go out and try and drive and the tyres let go first... ( NO NAMES:ROLLEYES: )

Road - make a good blend of drivability and power... you will find that your standard quad cam with some small tweaks will waste a WRX on the go, and a HSV will be left in your wake from any point... compare it to a euro car (say a 330 bmw) which has a blend of power & refined handling and you will probably wind up following in its wake around a track if they can drive.

(they can watch TV too )

I hope this makes sense...
Old 06-27-2005, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 89 KEITH CRAFT ALL ALUMINUM 427 WINDSOR
Not Ranked     

If you spend the most money that you can afford, then add in another say 20 to 25 percent more money for a little more horsepower than you will be getting real close to having about enough. But for some of us enthusiast the more the better, you can never have to much really. Then the fun starts trying to put it to the ground. JMO

DON
Old 06-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up All Of Them!

There is no such thing as 'too much horsepower' just 'too little talent'!

jdog
Old 06-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Jdog,
I like that! I'm gonna steal that line.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Todd makes a good (and deadly serious) point about the tires!!! FIRST thing I did was get some traction by going with the BIG letter Goodyears. AND they look great.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I drove Garrett's Blown LS1 (in 550WRHP tune). Drove is probably not the right word gritted my teeth and bunched my underwear whilst pressing the loud pedal and hanging on is probably a better description.

I also drove Phil's stock LS1 on the same day. I've come to the concluson that a mildly worked stock LS1 will be more than enough mumbo for me.

Putting your foot to the boards in either one is frightening. I reckon 550RWHP on the street wouldn't get much of a chance to flex it's muscles. You would be able to use much more of the potential of the largely stock LS1 without the hassles and still achieve the same silly grin. And at least the mild LS1 won't be so bad for my laundry bill.

Cheers

Old 06-28-2005, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Mike...gotta agree with ya.

On another thread I mentioned that 420 - 450 is about right.

I believe a cobra with that HP/torque in an excellent handling package is bluddy hard to beat.

Get it to stop properly, get the handling right, and the low track times will come with much less pain in the wallet and would be a much more reliable outfit.

That silly grin gets huge when you can get all that to work on a track.

cheers
Old 06-28-2005, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by mr0077

Awhile back someone knowledgeable said "If you can't break the tires loose at any speed in any gear, you don't have enough horsepower
Or you need better tires

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 06-28-2005, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     

IF you breath on the accelerator pedal and the rears break loose, you MAY be goosing too many ponies. Given the light weight of these cobras, I'd say anything over 500HP would be "overkill", IMO. (still, a 600HP MONSTER would be nice to have IF I owned stock in the tire company that manufactured my tires)
Old 06-28-2005, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Mark Donohue had it right. See quote below. When you can do that, go to a softer compound.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 06-28-2005, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: The one leaving fat black marks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

Todd makes a good (and deadly serious) point about the tires!!! FIRST thing I did was get some traction by going with the BIG letter Goodyears. AND they look great.
Can you tell my dad that... he doesnt quite understand that cheapo BFG's are great for mileage, but when youa re throwing $90 into the tank each 400km, surely you can get some decent tyres to make the car perform when you hit the go go button...

Tod
Old 06-28-2005, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Tod: Tell Bernie to get on Tire Guy's waiting list. If his tires come out as advertised, your dad will donate the BFGs to the Salvation Army and never look back. That's what I am planning to do. For the track, Goodyear slicks do a good job. But with 558 HP, I've learned that squeezing the throttle with a little sensitivity helps keep my rear end from trying to pass me. And I don't got to worry 'bout no stinkin'BMWs! Rich
Old 06-28-2005, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

At over 600 horse I had "to much". The price for that kind of horse power, in my case, amounted to an engine just barely suitable for the street and the constant search for "race gas".

I dropped the horse power to about 500, with lower compression, "softer" Holley carbs and a more mild cam. I couldn't be happier. Was running 11.90 and now running 11.99. In both cases a nice easy launch and NOT trying to set any records. It's "fast enough", gets better mileage and is totally "street friendly"!

I don't think your first engine had 600 HP, or anything close to it. If it did, you should be running about mid 10 sec 1/4's @ 130 mph on street tires.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-28-2005, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 425 Windsor
Not Ranked     

You will never, never run mid 10s on street tires. 125-130 sure, but if you run 11s with this MPH you will run 10s on slicks. Get a bike and you can yun 10s on the street.
How ever much horsepower you can afford is never enough, but just think about what you want to do with the car. Any where from 350 - 750 is about right.