Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2005, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     
Default CR v's Homebush Fibreglass

Hi,
I am tossing up between Classic Revival and Homebush Fibreglass, anyone that has seen the two cars side by side can they give me their opinion on which has a better shape? I have viewed both bodies but not together and i am leaning towards the CR myself. Can anyone who has or knows someone who has built a CR or Homebush car tell me of any fitment problems they may have encounted. Any help would be great thanks!

Steve
Old 07-01-2005, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1st Harrison with Gen 3 , 6 speed ,Godzilla diff & brakes
Not Ranked     

Hi Steve
I have a harrison but when i got my kit the other one that i was tossing up was the CR . Alot of people here have the CR Kit so that is testoment to how good they are .

Paul
Old 07-02-2005, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Sorry can't help either...
Up here in QLD, CR, Homebush, Dax, Robnell, SPF etc are pretty rare. We have them...but you would be lucky to see them.

I've seen them all and in my experience I wouldn't say one is any better than the others when it comes to recommending kits to people. Different cars suit different people...they all offer something different and that's great. We wouldn't all want to be driving around the exact same cobras, be a bit boring.

Most of the cars(regular) in club up here in QLD are DRB & Harrison, and some old RMC's.

Owners of DRB(Peter Ransome) & Harrison(Warrick Harrison) have pretty strong ties with club and attend most social & race meets. They are also the first people to jump in and help fellow club members, lending equipment, services etc if things go wrong. With that sort of support & commitment it's pretty hard for most people up here to choose anything else.

Even with my DRB GT40, Warrick is keen to help. He is happy to help with any type of kit, he is just that sort of guy.

I'm a little biassed towards Warrick though, having bought two Cobra kits from him.

So my recommendation is to first find kit that suits you and then make sure they have service to back you up. And go along to club meets etc and ask plenty of questions. So you off to a good start there.

It certainly makes things easier if you go with a local product.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Gotta confirm what Craig said...Warwick Harrison is a class act.

Cheers
Old 07-02-2005, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hi Steve, When I was looking into kits to purchase I knew that I lived along way from help and was thinking (rightly so) that any help I needed I would most likely find the answers here.
Personally my choices where CR or Harrison.

But in your instance you live in or near Sydney so it would be a smart move to select a kit that is manufactured locally, I know the CR kit is made in Sydney but I dont know anything at all about the Homebush kit or where it is made

When looking into a kit you need to list your main priorities and decide form there.

The CR is a very easy to assemble kit and most things bolt straight in. Having some mechanical knowledge certainly will make life easier (but I think this would be the same with any kit)

The Harrison kit certainly is another great starting point and all owners seem to be very happy with there cars.

The only reason I didnt select the Harrison (strictly personal choice) was that the body is bonded to the chassis.

1 point regarding the CR that I didnt think about when buying was that you are not going to be able to fit deep dished rims (I prefer the look of the deep dish)

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Hi Steve,
I would agree with every point that Boxhead has made. The main reason I went with CR was that it doesnt run a Jag rear end with inboard brakes. There are some things that Im not happy with my kit, but as stated previously, all kits have somethings that could be improved.
Like Boxhead I didnt realize the rear wheels would end up with the same dish as the front, no dish. For this reason alone I would not buy CR. It cost me over $5500 to have the rear end engineered, then have made, new upper and lower arms, new bushes, new axles and cut down the wheel alignment adjusters at the rear of the suspension.
Also if you look closely the front wheel arches are much larger than not only the original cars, but other kits such as Harrison, G Force, RMC and Homebush, the other kit your looking at.
Further to this the relationship between the tyres and both the rear and front guards are not as tight as they could be. there are large gaps at the bottom of the guards that to me dont look right.
As far as the car going together, I couldnt agree more with Boxhead, its easy and really good fun.
I dont know a thing about Homebush but I would take a look at G Force in WA. His car is about as good as you can get for shape and I understand that he has started to install the Jag XJ40 rear suspension with its outboard brakes.
Thats my 2 cents worth.

Regards.

Last edited by Mando; 07-06-2005 at 04:16 AM..
Old 07-03-2005, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Steve,

I went with CR because it seemed like a well thought out kit and I live just down the road from Ians workshop.There are things that need improving with the CR and some of these have been addressed on this site.

Shelby 400 will probably give you better insight into Homebush kit.

If I was doing it all again I would seriously consider a Harrison as I believe his kit has a better suspension set up and weighs at least 100 to 200 kg less than a CR

I think a Harrison with a Gen 111 would be hard to beat.I cant comment on the body work of the Harrison but was impressed with the CR finish out of the mould.

Depends a lot on what you want. I think the CR would be easier to build as the inner panels are all glassed in where I think the Harrison needs panels made up.

But I like the idea of better power to weight ratio.

Phil
Old 07-03-2005, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: The one leaving fat black marks
Not Ranked     

The bodies are probably out of the same mould originally
Old 07-03-2005, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Nope Todd, you're wrong.

It is well known up here where the Harrison body came from.

I must admit that if I was in the market for a kit it would be between the G-force ( new body) and the Harrison.

More likely the Harrison as it's local and I like the body shape.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Steve,
The Harrison bodies I have seen from his current fibreglasser look very good. The body and panels are bonded to the chassis. There are no additional panels to fit other than ones required to finish off the interior. It is easy to work on with all brackets and mounts fitted and majority of the holes drilled and taped if required. Everything fits in how it should. From what I have read on this forum from other kit builders and from my own experience with my kit I am building you couldn't go past the Harrison for
ease of building.
As well the front and rear suspension are a big positive.

Warren
Old 07-04-2005, 12:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi All,
Thanks for all the great replies, does Harrison have a web site?
Rebel1 where does a Harrison body come from?

Steve
Old 07-04-2005, 12:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by WKB

Steve,
The Harrison bodies I have seen from his current fibreglasser look very good.

Warren
I was that impressed with current Harrison fibreglasser, that I have used them for all the body modifications & work required on my GT40.

Harrison also does a lightweight race body for their dedicated race cars. They are currently supplying one of these to a customer.

Harrison Website:

http://www.cobrakits.com.au/
Old 07-04-2005, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, The Harrison body is not terribly unlike an RMC.

Very nice shape indeed. All the curves in the right places.

Cheers
Old 07-04-2005, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys, just had a look at their website, there ia a sweet burgandy with grey dash Cobra that i think looks awsome.

Steve
Old 07-04-2005, 01:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually Steve, that car changes colour.

If it's the car I'm thinking of it's a chrome illusion paint job. Changes colour depending on the light.

Nice tho hey?...very nice upholstery.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rebel1 is that a custom interior and do you know where i can see more pics, it is a sweet car?

Steve
Old 07-04-2005, 01:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: The one leaving fat black marks
Not Ranked     

Custom interior? All Cobra interiors are custom... you basivally design what you want and get the upholsterer to make it for you.

Depending on budget, what you are after in terms of feel (period, modern, racer, etc) you work from that.

Todd
Old 07-04-2005, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve..Just as Todd said....all interiors are custom.

You start with a bare body with 2 doors and a dash, a trans tunnel, and a couple of seats.

That particular car is prolly one of the fancy ones....PCC on here has a DRB with fancy interior also. Do a search on his name (PCC) and look at his.

Most folks settle for somewhere between what you see in that Harrison car and the basic cobra spartan interior.

Depends what you want..

Cheers
Old 07-04-2005, 02:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1st Harrison with Gen 3 , 6 speed ,Godzilla diff & brakes
Not Ranked     

Steve ,
Building my Harrison has been extremely easy and although i live in SA i have called Warwick a few times for info and he has gone well out of his way to help . The diff that he supplied to me when i got the kit was faulty and when i asked about it he sent me a new one the next day so if you want my opinion Harrison is the only way to go . You dont need to make up any inner guards or any other panel for that matter it is all done at the factory. As you can see in my gallery i have opted to line everything with alluminium for looks but you dont need to do this as there is fibreglass panels there . The CR has a fibreglass cockpit where the Harrison is Alluminim and steel so when you look from underneath its all shiny .
A few weeks ago Mando came up nad looked at my Harrison and was extremely impresed with the whole package .
Interior is as everyone has said totaly up to you and your budget you could do it cheap for a few grand or go nuts and spend 15g easy . I am currently doing mine now so i will post some pics in a week or so , But so far it will be about 5g hopefully it looks good in the car . Ideas in the head dont always look good in the flesh .

Paul
Old 07-04-2005, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Paul,

Interested to know what diff ratio you plan running? One of the NSW Cobra guys has a Harrison with a 4.11 diff and while he reckons it accelerates like a rocket he feels it revs a bit high when touring. What other ratios are available for the Nissan rear?

Thanks,

Phil