Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2005, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default AU rear end question

I know this has been asked and answered on this forum before but Ill be stuffed if I can find it. How do you remove the drive shafts from the Au diff? Also. How can I tell if my diff is lsd or not?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1st Harrison with Gen 3 , 6 speed ,Godzilla diff & brakes
Not Ranked     

Hi Tenrocca

Im not sure with the au diff but normally if you jack up one side so it is off the ground and spin the wheel it should stop spinning after a few revolutions if it keeps on spinning then it isnt an LSD

Paul
Old 07-06-2005, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

The axles are held in by spring loaded C clips on the ends of the axle splines. It's just a matter of puting a pinch bar or a large screw driver between the diff housing and the axle flange and levering it out. The C clips are rounded and designed to compress so it doesn't take much effort.

To tell whether it's an LSD jack both wheels off the cround and turn one whilst someone holds the other. there should be a lot of resistance between the two sides. An open diff will turn one wheel freely.

Cheers

Old 07-06-2005, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

There should be an aluminium plate retained by the fill plug that talks about the special additive required for the LSD.If its not there you either dont have an LSD or the diff was not modified(new seal and additive) in service. I belive the additive is in all late model diffs and it was only the early series 1 that had the mod done. The series one had the thin discs, 13mm wide I think.

Phil
Old 07-06-2005, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. LS1, T56, Billy Cart
Not Ranked     

Tenrocca,

Pete and I made the mistake of undoing the CV boot (on one side) and then having to repack it (thanks Phil for the boot strap tool) lot's of fun trying to regather the escaping ball bearings.

Exactly as Mike said, just a big screwdriver and lever it out. We put the half shafts back in on the weekend and they go back really easy as well, just a bit of pressure and they snap back in place.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Beautiful. I knew it would be easy. There is a plate on the drain plug that says "high performance, use approved lubricants only". No mention of additives though? The guy I got it off said it was a series 1.

Churchy....you clearly are not referring to the comprehensive build manual which illistrates the drive shafts removed with both boots in place.

Got an eamil off Ian....my cars due to be ready in about 4 weeks. Whoooo hooooo I better make some room in the garage.

Last edited by Tenrocca; 07-06-2005 at 04:00 PM..
Old 07-06-2005, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. LS1, T56, Billy Cart
Not Ranked     

Yay, your build is about to start, yipee. Pete and I are having sooooo much fun already, and we have only been going for 4 weeks. Only lost one thumb top so far

We also did not refer to the comrehensive build manual that says to use soapy water when putting the new front lower control arm bushes in. First one we tried for about 1 hour, then read the book and the next 3 took about 2 seconds each. RTFM is now written all over my face..
Old 07-06-2005, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

To check if it is LSD or not while it is out of the car it is easiest to turn the pinion flange (where tailshaft bolts too).
And have a friend hold the drive shafts, if it is LSD then both shafts will turn, if it is not then 1 shaft will turn and the other one will be able to be held.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HELP!!. One side popped out easy, 3 skinned knckles later and the other does not want to come. Any suggestions?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

. I left it a while to let it think about the pain and suffering it had caused me, and when I came back it was repentant and gave way. All is forgiven. :P.

I dont need to keep the sway bar do I?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Keep the rear sway bar to hit things with. I have a matching front one I bought from Ian that is also only good to hit things with.

When you get to sway bars talk to me . I just got one made by Pedders but do not know how it will perform. Should know after the August practice day at Wakefield.

Great to hear your chassis and body are nearly ready.

From your description of thye tag sounds like you have a LSD. If you dont /havent drained the oil all should be good. I'll check what my tag says ( if its still talking)and let you know.

Its 27 degrees in Townsville today. Iam burnt to a cinder, well at least my face is. I am applying Coopers internally to ease the pain.

Phil