Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2006, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Tri wiper blade length and placement

G'day All

I am slowly working through all the old threads to hopefully avoid repeat questions however I have been beaten to the punch on this issue and need some quick advice.

Current cars now need three wipers for Vic rego. (no suprise) but in chasing donor parts I have been asked what wiper blade length I require. Can anybody advise me further?

Does the donor componentry play a part in deciding blade length or are they all similar and so it doesn't matter? I nominated either a marina or mini source for these parts, are these the same?

Whilst on the issue can anyone advise on the set out locations for the three
wheelboxes? I have seen one thread discussing twin wiper layouts but not three.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Regards
Old 03-20-2006, 01:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Blade length on my three wiper setup is 250mm.Can't give placement as car is in spray booth but a call to Don Pilling at Snake Bite would probably serve you well as he faxed a diagram with measurements down to me which has since been lost. I know I used a mini drive motor but bought new gearboxes and blades from Don.Just have to make sure the sweep angle is 100 degrees. This is stamped on the drive cog in the motor.
Hope this helps.
BJ
Old 03-20-2006, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     
Default Wiper Blade set up.

Stephen,

There are (hmmm were??) plenty of threads on this topic. Blade length is normally 10" (250mm) some guys have run 11" blades. TRICO have a kit with adjustable wiper arm and connects to many blade types. Wiper angle can vary as windscreen angle varies. Be careful of this you may have to play around with the wiper cam to get the right blade sweep. From memory if your windscreen angle is around 55° a 105° wiper cam will work. I have a two blade setup but I built an adjustable cam to get the sweep right.

Don Pilling (Qld) has a diagram to set up both two blade and three blade setups with measurements, he also sells wiper kits (Reasonably expensive but they are new). If you want I can find the drawing, scan it and email for you. Send me a PM with your email.

H&H Spares (Jaguar) in Ringwood have Lucas wiper wheel boxes and cable wiper motors. I think the Marina set have the same set up. You may find the Mini set up has different wheel boxes (Number of teeth). You may want to get them to shop around for a good set. You want the 32 teeth wheel boxes as they match the cam angle in the wiper motor (ie cam will have 105° - 32T or similar)

Good luck. Try to get a look at someones car that has done all the work.

TC

Last edited by Tony Cram; 03-20-2006 at 01:27 PM..
Old 03-20-2006, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

We always thought you had to have 3 wipers as well, and built the previous Cobra with 3 wipers because everyone else was. But black Harrison was registered with 2 wipers thanks to OzVenom's design etc. This is in QLD though.

Wipers are tricky to source all the correct parts, but not impossible.

One thing I would recommend is getting them right, don't skimp and save a bucks. Because when you really need them, you really need them. Seen so many QLD Cobra's stuck travelling interstate in bucketing rain and having wipers that are not reliable or up to the task.

Don sells the complete Lucas 2-speed kit, it's all new and all set up. Comes with instructions, wiring diagram etc:
3 x Wiper Drive Bezel Kit
3 x Wiper Wheel Boxes
1 x Wiper Motor
1 x Mounting Pad & Strap
1 x Drive Cable
3 x Wheel Box Inner Spacer
1 x Bundy Nut
4 x Bundy Tube cut & flared to size
1 x Ferrule
1 x Multi Pin Plug

From there you buy wiper blades and then only need some form of wiper switch, the Lucas one is still available.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Stephen

do yourself a favour and aim to reg. without a windscreen as I did. I had fitted the screen & wipers etc. but removed them when it went to reg. This meant they are not considering many things to knock you back such as wipers operation, demisters which are mostly chrome which causes problems with those reg. guy's. That way you can select a late model 2 wiper setup which I wish I had done instead of 3 which looks ordinary in my book

Also I think the 3 wiper installation was the single hardest thing during my build.

Cheers Leeroy
Old 03-22-2006, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks again guys

Craig

Am awaiting Don's price list CD as we speak, cheers

Leeroy

My engineer indicated to me on the question of chrome that this ADR requirement is no longer an issue. I particularly asked him about this as I want to run smith replica gauges with the chrome bezels.

I would guess he has had previous success's arguing previous cases for this anti glare issue for him to state this straight up. Anyway I'm in his hands for this.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony

Yes I will take you up on the emailed diagrams.

Home email address is low.benholm@optusnet.com.au

You can call me on 0400 934 027.

Cheers
Old 03-23-2006, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

The 3 wiper Lucas system in my opinion was the most cumbersome inefficient thing to set up during my build. It still and probably never will work well.

If anybody knows of a decent alternative please please let me know.

Brett

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Use Rain-X

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead
Use Rain-X
I'd expect a reply like that from a Territorian.

Do you have floaties on the car for when it really rains up there?

I'm having to work with "four-seasons-in-one-day" Melbourne here!!

But nice to note that it was the day after the Commonwealth had finished that we got our first rain event!!

Will work towards a 3 wiper system. Rainex was only good on my bike helmut when I had the bike!

Ciao