Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Not Ranked     
Default Say What !!

Garrett,

my ears are still ringing from the test drive at Winton, and I think the mic on my video is shattered...... not quiet enough for rego.... geeze, not quiet enough for War Games

Cameron
Old 05-01-2006, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance AUS002, Chev 5.7 with hairdryer
Not Ranked     
Default Huh

" What ya say Cameron " speak up
Old 05-02-2006, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Garret,
I met a freind of yours the other day. I know it sounds terrible but I cannot remember his name. He is from up here but now lives in Macedon. We met while perving at a mutual freinds GT40. He is a freighter pilot and was telling me about his BMW he rebuilt.
He was telling me of a freind's crazy loud turbo'd cobra and it turned out to be you!!
He actually spoke very highly of yourself and was saying how when you have driven over at least they know you have arrived without knocking.

Gav
Old 05-04-2006, 12:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbetter
Guys,
Im gunna have to post here, i had a coppied version of ( work on the car when i've finished everone elses stuff, and then dreaming of future stuff for mine ) Mikes side pipes and they are not quiet enough to get the reg process. So the suggestion is to have a $hit house looking under body kit to get passed then throw on the live side pipes, i've tried a couple of versions now and run cats and mufler in the tube at the required length, and with out extending the length up like a truck stack some 1.8m high, doubt i can get any quieter.
Ah but i like it loud and have the 4 RTA slips to prove it with fines and mods last year costing over 4 k even now its quieter but not legal, sorry for the news. But have been busting for Mike to fire his magic motor up.

4 slips and 4k....

Not trying to be too pessimistic but I can see a potential problem if lots of people have loud side pipes or obvious mods for that matter. If some sh!thead from the RTA gets wind of all these loud, smelly & fast cobras then we could all be stuffed. Just ask 750HP (Craig)

It would be concerning if a few cobras got pulled up enough times to make somebody take a closer look at the cobra scene. All it takes is one RTA moron to come along to a meeting, take down a few number plates (or even just vet the RTA database) and bingo – audit notices are in the mail.

I’m all for having fun but I think when it comes to modding cobras, and lets face it, there are more than quite a few that are, I think we need to think globally instead of how deep our own pockets are.

I can think of no more obvious illegal mod than working sidepipes. There are more subtle ways to get HP.

Last edited by NASSTY; 05-04-2006 at 12:18 AM..
Old 05-04-2006, 12:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Side Pipes

Nassty, I hear what you're saying but if we are all encouraged to think on a global front wouldn't we be better off lobbying the powers that be to allow working SP's??? By this I mean if the HOT ROD fraternity can get their working side pipes plus a host of other "legal mods" OK'd, then why can't we.

It seems crazy as hot rods are all one offs. A modded cut and shut illegal derivitive of a once legal street car. None were ever homologenised in their respective HOT ROD form. In fact the truth be known they were illegal when these guys modded their cars 30 years ago!

My way of thinking is that at least Cobras were a real production run and all we're doing is trying to recreate what actually was???

This is off thread/topic I know, but I for one will be running working side pipes and will also prepared the results. I guess if you know what you create is illegal according to the ADR rules then you can't complain when you get pinged!

Nassty, sadly you're so right though... it only takes one inspector to create havoc for many!

Just my 2cents worth.

Spookypt
Old 05-04-2006, 12:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt
Nassty, I hear what you're saying but if we are all encouraged to think on a global front wouldn't we be better off lobbying the powers that be to allow working SP's??? By this I mean if the HOT ROD fraternity can get their working side pipes plus a host of other "legal mods" OK'd, then why can't we.

It seems crazy as hot rods are all one offs. A modded cut and shut illegal derivitive of a once legal street car. None were ever homologenised in their respective HOT ROD form. In fact the truth be known they were illegal when these guys modded their cars 30 years ago!

My way of thinking is that at least Cobras were a real production run and all we're doing is trying to recreate what actually was???

This is off thread/topic I know, but I for one will be running working side pipes and will also prepared the results. I guess if you know what you create is illegal according to the ADR rules then you can't complain when you get pinged!

Nassty, sadly you're so right though... it only takes one inspector to create havoc for many!

Just my 2cents worth.

Spookypt
I agree with you too Spookypt re lobbying. That's been discussed many times. ATM though, changing the regs in the near future doesn't appear to be likely so we all have to make do with the current regs.

I'm not saying that modding is bad. All I'm saying is I think it would be better for cobras to be more subtle about their mods so as to not attract undue attention from the boys in blue. Loud doesn't necessarily equal fast. 400TT proved that at Shelby Fest 06. He was the quietest cobra there yet he was also the quickest.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Loud doesn't necessarily equal fast. 400TT proved that at Shelby Fest 06. He was the quietest cobra there yet he was also the quickest.
Except for the blow-off valve, it was the noisest part. You could only hear it because the exhaust was silent. And it's all road legal, would be one of the few on that track that could say that. Even the turbo is approved. Also don't confuse me as the driver(my brother), I doubt I could pedal that Cobra that quick around the track. It scares me enough on the road.

Moves are happening up here in QLD already about getting changes made to the reg's. Les is involved in it. We've been basically backed into a corner by all the regulations in recent years and have little to lose, so are having our say.

Last edited by 400TT; 05-04-2006 at 01:17 AM..
Old 05-04-2006, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT
Except for the blow-off valve, it was the noisest part. You could only hear it because the exhaust was silent. And it's all road legal, would be one of the few on that track that could say that. Even the turbo is approved. Also don't confuse me as the driver(my brother), I doubt I could pedal that Cobra that quick around the track. It scares me enough on the road.

Moves are happening up here in QLD already about getting changes made to the reg's. Les is involved in it. We've been basically backed into a corner by all the regulations in recent years and have little to lose, so are having our say.
From the drivers seat the blow off may be loud but from trackside it sounded like a gentle sneeze.

It's great that Les is looking into the issue! I'm sure he'll jump on this thread soon with some updates.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival LS1 6spd
Not Ranked     

I have been reading everybodies comments about side pipes but can anybody tell me if you can actually get your car registered with working side pipes. It appears from most of the commemts that you have to register the vehicle with under body pipes, them install working pipes after reg.

Rod
Old 05-05-2006, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Roda,

In a word. No.

It is hard enough with an underbody exhaust to get down to the legal limits, but with side pipes you also are firing the noise sideways too. I do not think the RTA likes hot exhausts near a doorway either.

Ben
Old 05-06-2006, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODA
but can anybody tell me if you can actually get your car registered with working side pipes.
Rod
In Queensland the only thing I know that stops us is you can't have exhaust exiting from passenger side of vehicle. So in theory you can have 1 x drivers side pipe. The same way that some flatbed trucks have exhaust exiting to drivers side behind the cab.

This rule can also get you even if your exhaust exits at the rear. If the tail pipe twists towards the passenger side, then it is illegal. This is a pretty common thing on grey imports, so they have to modify the tail pipe to get them approved.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Real: Southern Roadcraft, SRV8, 351W stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Side pipes

I could be wrong but I believe the Robnell Cobras were registered with live side pipes on both sides.
The pipes were well heat shielded and exhaust turn outs pointed to the ground.

Cheers,
Bryan
VK3KDN

Old 05-06-2006, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

In WA I believe the sidepipe exit must be at 45 degrees to the ground. I quite like the look of the tip pointing towards the ground and will probably leave mine that way... at least that's what I think now!