Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     
Default CR Sidepipes

I have started on my sidepipes and thought I would post a couple of pics.

I have used a 3" collector with a 4"-3" reducer that has been cut down, same with the outlet end but have used a 3" bend for the tip.

Both the front and back assemblys have a sleeve welded in from the inside to locate the outer 4" section of the pipes, these will be attached with socket head cap screws around each join.

I have located 4" cats which will sit in the 4" pipe and the remaining will be a home made hotdog muffler.
Expanded metal mesh rolled into a 3" pipe will go up the centre and as you can see in the pics on my gallery ceramic fibre wool will be wrapped around it.

The wool is used for boiler refractories and the like and is great stuff its not even itchy if you get it on your skin. You can hold an oxy torch to one side and your hand to the other, so hopfully the outer of my pipes will not get too hot.

The wool is not that dear either, enough for a set of pipes would only be worth about $20. I buy it by the roll so if anyone wants some give me a ring on 0407 110641.

I had thought about sandwiching it between a sheet of ally or stainless over my pedal boxs to keep out the heat

Gav
Old 04-26-2006, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Looks great!!!That is one long pipe there Gav......

Sidepipes is one thing Im very keen to have a go at, but I really only have a vague idea how they all come together (despite studying yours and uncle Mikes posts al length!!). Have either of you guys actually made up drawings\measurements\material lists (ie instructions )?

Cheers
Old 04-26-2006, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Tenrocca,

Mine are off the car at the moment if you want you can come over , pull them apart and measure . I would do a few things different second time round.You could even get the guy who built mine to copy the headers section if you like as they are off too.

ring me on 8824 1030 if you want to arrange.

Regards,

Phil
Old 04-26-2006, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Thanks Phil, I may well take you up in that next week. Ill give you a call.

So if they are all off, whats going on with the "as featured on the Classic Revical web site" machine?? Spending more money to gain those magical tenths of a second?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Looking realy good Gav,

Who made those cleanly formed collectors? The ones I get need a heap of panel beating before they look any good.

You can also buy 3" perforated tube for the cores. It might be easier than rolling a section up.

Cheers

Old 04-26-2006, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Phil's Cobra has caught a cold. You might hear it sneezing at the next track day outing.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

Phil,

Your not are you?

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 04-26-2006, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Something will happen not sure what yet. Gotta keep Phil M honest

Mike I noticed those collectors too...nice bit of work.

Tenrocca, look forward to catching up.

Phil
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Hi Gavin, pipes are looking good. The guys are right those collectors look pretty sharp. Itll be great to see some pictures as you go along.

Regards.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. LS1, T56, Billy Cart
Not Ranked     
Default Can I invite myself ?

Gav,

Yep, they are lookin real good

Phil,

I am also intending on making my own sidepipes, and headers and would love to have a sticky beak as well if I could.

Seeing as there has been little progress on the build lately, I may as well discover a few more black arts that are going to confuse the Cr4p out of me.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone,
Its amazing what you can do flying by the seat of your pants!
I think you will find the camera has been kind to the collectors they're OK but I'm not going to write home to mum about them.
As for the long side pipe, I'm building a limo!!!!
All my bits where bought from a local muffler shop and and came from Pacemaker I think?
The expanded mesh I'm using is in the shed and I'm too tight to buy some perforated pipe until I know whether these will sound OK.
Do you like the black case paint to hide, sorry enhance my tig welding?

Gav
Old 04-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default Black Paint Cures All

Gotta love the black paint - makes eveything so uniform.

Just like it was meant to be - my fabricated bits are well doused in the magic black spray.

LoBelly
Old 04-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gav, are the pipes stainless, any idea on the end cost of parts?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had toyed with the idea of stainless but could not be bothered with the welding. The pipes you are welding together require to be filled tig gas whilst welding in order to get a reasonable joint with no leaks or porosity.
To be honest I just can't be fagged and the coatings available for pipes now are great.
All up I have bought 20 small radius bends, 4 large bends, two flange plates for the heads, 2 colectors, 4 reducers, 2 3" bends for the tips, 2 3m lengths of 1 3/4" pipe and 1 3m length of 4" pipe.
All up it has set me back around $800 bucks.
The four larger radius bends are the killer as I was charged for a die change for their bender.
I was going to tig every join but will probably just use the mig in the engine bay and linish the welds.

Gav
Old 04-29-2006, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance AUS002, Chev 5.7 with hairdryer
Not Ranked     
Default Noise

Guys,
Im gunna have to post here, i had a coppied version of ( work on the car when i've finished everone elses stuff, and then dreaming of future stuff for mine ) Mikes side pipes and they are not quiet enough to get the reg process. So the suggestion is to have a $hit house looking under body kit to get passed then throw on the live side pipes, i've tried a couple of versions now and run cats and mufler in the tube at the required length, and with out extending the length up like a truck stack some 1.8m high, doubt i can get any quieter.
Ah but i like it loud and have the 4 RTA slips to prove it with fines and mods last year costing over 4 k even now its quieter but not legal, sorry for the news. But have been busting for Mike to fire his magic motor up.

Last edited by justbetter; 04-30-2006 at 03:22 PM..
Old 04-29-2006, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

I think the days of trying to comply with noise regs on a modified car are over. There is a Classic Revival just completed in Sydney that had the legal system on at the last club meet. No one could believe how quiet it was. It sounded like a Corolla! To achieve the 100mm ground clearance the muffler was inside the rear wheel arch, and 15" x 7" wheels fitted.....

I am going to have manifolds made up to suit my live side pipes, but with a lower flange blanked off. For rego the side pipes will be blanked off and an underbody exhaust hooked up. At least this way the engineers certificate will show the side pipes fitted.

One of the reasons that I decided to build a Cobra is that if you are going to build a weekend car, it may as well be as grumpy, impractical, noisy, thirsty and have no roof.

Ben (wishing his car was ready to drive)
Old 04-29-2006, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

When I had my pea shooter exaust on for rego the poor Ls1 had trouble reving past 4K it was llike blowing threw a straw.

Craig W
Old 04-30-2006, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra.au
When I had my pea shooter exaust on for rego the poor Ls1 had trouble reving past 4K it was llike blowing threw a straw.

Craig W
That just cracked me up. Sadly I've also been there done that.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic revival 302w
Not Ranked     

hey gav
nice work by the way just a quick tip dont forget that the right bank sits more forward than the left on a ford that is chev might be the opposite side
cheers
jess
Old 05-01-2006, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Doing it again

Gav,
Nice work on the side pipes. I have a similar style muffler inside my pipes. They are nice and quite when you are at low revs but once you open it up they get very loud.

When building my pipes I was concerned about "over exhausting" the engine and actually reduce low end performance. After asking many questions I built a TRI Y set up. The headers are 4 into 2 and then the 2 go into the 2 1/2 inch perforated tube muffler. It looks as they are a 4 into one system.

Unfortunately with the new engine a 4 into one system is needed so all that work for nothing!!!

There is nothing better than loud rumbling side pipes!!!!

What are you up to phil???

Phil