Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default Update - Finally

Well my springs arrived at last on Friday, and after a bit of work with the angle grinder to fix up to some minor clearance issues, I finally got myself a billycart. Here she is:

Ive posted some other pics in my gallery.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Looking Good

HI Andrew,

Looks good, I like the colour of your suspension parts.

They would have to be the strongest tank straps I have ever seen.

What spring rates did you use? and where did you get them?

Phil
Old 06-10-2006, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 1999, 302w
Not Ranked     

Hey, looking good! very neat! It almost makes me wish I built mine instead of buying it already done but then I wouldn't be driving it yet would I?... Keep up the good work and more update photos!!
Old 06-10-2006, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. LS1, T56, Billy Cart
Not Ranked     

Andrew,

Looking great mate. Get a car trailer and bring it over and we can have billy cart races down Sydney road at Manly.

Churchy
Old 06-10-2006, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Phil, The Shocks and springs are all from a mob called "Autofab race cars" in the US. Good prices, although getting the springs was a saga to say the least! All QA1 shocks and springs except for the take up spring which is AFCO as the QA1's were on back order for eternity. They were supposed to be chrome, but the splash of yellow doesnt look too bad I reckon (lets face it, after a few weeks it'll be covered in crap and no one except for me will know how purdy they are underneath!). After seekig advice from nearly everyone here, and using the online spring rate calculator mentioned in a previous thread, Ive just gone 425 lb front and 400 lb rear, with the take up spring, rather then Ian dual rate spring set up. I dont know how its going to work, so when I take it over to marks for some billy cart races Ill let you know.

At the end of the day I think I should have taken note of the paragraph in the comprehensive build manual that says something like: "Use the recommended componants, other wise youll get yourself into $hit". I had to relocate the front top mounts, and build a new bottom mount. The had to take a notch out of the pivot bolt arm bit as well. I am happy with how its ended up though.

Mounting the tank was interesting. As everyone knows its not really a drop in fit. I made some new straps out of some 50x6mm aluminium I "found" at work. At the back I have welded bolts straight through the frame, to hold. At the front I could use the drivers side threaded insert (I think the one standard mounting point I did use) and welded on a extra braket on the passenger side. My Tank also had a mounting hole on the front left, so I put an extra nutsert in the chassis just above that to hold it all snug (mainly to help when I was making up the straps). I polished up the straps a bit and I reckon they look pretty good. Not as good as alloy tank, but later when the budget allows perhaps. My only concern is if I can get at the rear nuts once the body is on (so I may have to modify). By the way, I reckon the most useful tool(s) I got for this is a set of ratcheting ring spanners. Fantastic for this fiddley stuff

Getting the whole thing off my "coffee table" stand was interesting to say the least. I nearly went the Phil N method of setting fire to the legs, but luckily a mate popped around at just the right time to give me a hand. Went something like this..."Right, how heavy is the front?..not too bad...Ill lift it up and you smash the legs out with a hammer....OK....done...its getting heavy, come here....let it down gently...OK...put it down...$hit its rolling.....grab a brick. Right. good. Now the back...this is the heavy end. You grab a hammer and Ill grab a hammer....right. on the count of three, we wack the legs, and it should drop down nicely...and pull your arm out bloody quick....one to three.....bang...crash....down...beautiful"....and not a scratch to show for it .

Next up Ill finish off the pedals I am most of the way though. Ive got a seat and the wheel in so I reckon Im ready to take churchy on. Im at the top of a big hill here, so I reckon I might go get some practice in.....
Old 06-12-2006, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I like your Nardi steering wheel, I was touch and go between Nardi and MotoLita.
I only went with mine as the price was too good.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the thicker grip on the nardi, but I do prefer the look of the moto lita. It was a bit of an ebay bargain as well, so I couldnt pass up.

Heres the link to that spring rate calculator by the way:

http://www.swayaway.com/Suspension%20Frameset.htm
Old 06-12-2006, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival (CR3204) 6ltr s/c, T56 6spd
Not Ranked     

Hi Andrew,
Looks great.
Out of curiousity, was your clearance issue on the upper front pivot bolts due to the different springs/shocks etc. I've just ordered my springs from Ian and am curious to know if I'll have the same issue when they turn up??
Luke.....
Old 06-12-2006, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Luke, After Id taken a mm or two off and had them mounted, at all but full droop I reckon it still would have been OK. Just took a smidge off to be sure (especially when the arms are shimmed out for camber adjust).

Problem most likely due to the non standard bottom mount which is a fraction further inboard then the standard.

Cheers.