Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 1999, 302w
Not Ranked     
Default questions about ADR's

Hey everyone.Just wanted to clear up a bit lof confusion I have. I understand that in the last few years a couple of the states have changed the rules and will no longer allow early model carbed engines in cars yet to be built. Is there a chance that these law will eventually become retrospective, and my Coba with a 302 will be be legally unroadworthy? Also do these laws affect if I sell the car the new owner has to reregister it? Of course the only reason I would consider selling it would be to buy another cobra. Mine has cosmetic side pipes and would love to get them active (illegal, I know...) but the frame in my DRB is in the way. (If anyone has any ideas on a way around this please let me know)
Cheers Dave

Ps Thanks for everyone's help on the heated seats. I have ordered a pair from Cobra Heat in the US and am awaiting delivery. I will let you know what they are like when fitted. Looking forward to keeping the top off on those chilly winter nights.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hey FF, please dont forget to tell us about the seat heaters when you get em working.

Reason I ask......I've been looking for a ferociousfish ... ermmm ... guinea pig to try em before I get em.

Cheers
Old 06-14-2006, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

No one can say 100% that your Cobra will always be able to be registered...

In saying that I seriously doubt that you will ever have a problem with continuing to register that vehicle. As long as you don't let the registration lapse you will be fine. Same story with transferring registration to a new owner, will be no problem at all. Historically QLD Transport have not made any changes retrospectively, that would also apply Aus wide.

So I wouldn't worry.

Without any chassis modifications you can always run the exhausts out the side just in front of the footwells, they will exit just through the rear edge of the front guards(raised section). Doesn't look too bad, just keep the primary size down and keep them tight. Pipes line up with the edge of the guard, so no problems with wheel/tyre clearance.

With the seat warmers, you really believe in variety with your questions, don't you?
Old 06-15-2006, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hey Ferocious..If you have any troubles with the cobra heat mob....try here for another supplier:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/seat...FVA5Igod0jbfdw

I've noticed Cobra Heat have dropped off the net...maybe only a server problem but you now have an alternative.

Cheers
Old 06-15-2006, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hopefully there wont be any problems with Cobra Heat, 'cause they already have my money!! Great site though Rebel, wish I'd seen it first. Really could have used the heated seats tonight. Had to drive back from Maroochydore to Noosa, 930pm and about 9 degrees with the roof off. I get a lot of pleasure with having a cobra that is a daily driver, but the priority for me now is to add those little touches that make it just that little bit more comfortable to drive. I would change it for the world though.
Cheers All,
Dave
Old 06-15-2006, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You poor bu$$a Ferocious.....driving from Maroochydore to Noosa....that's gods country mate.

Imagine our poor bretheren in pricktoria or even Sydney....they'd be frozen solid.

I know what ya sayin tho....thats why I have a hard top on order and waiting for you to check out the seat heaters before I buy em.

I want a softtop for when I get caught out...and a hardtop for those couple of months when it's cool or during wet season.

I've also installed a vintage heater so hopefully I can make it nice and comfy in most envionments.

Cheers
Old 06-15-2006, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wouldn't you guys just be better off with a GT40.

I've got a nice heater in mine for Winter and air con for summer.

Just finished working on my opening/removeable side windows.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Funny you should say that Craig. I was a whisker off putting a deposit on an RF GT40.

Glad I didn't as I may well have been one of the RF victims.

Still got that option now. One of those with a 5Ltr variant of the 4.6 supercharged mod would do quite nicely thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rebel, did I miss something here? What happened with RF? They are still advertising in a current magazine I just got.

Craig, I would have loved the GT40 but the wife thought it 'looked like a race car'. However if you ever get sick of it and want to do a swap, let me know. (The car, not the wife, although I will probably throw her in for free.)
Old 06-15-2006, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Les,

And if you had a GT40 how long would that take to get on the road?

I understand why you need a hardtop with all that rain and pelican s$%t you get in Redcliffe
Old 06-15-2006, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ferocious, RF has gone belly up, leastwise they did earlier in the year. Seems they went into voluntary receivership after receiving a reasonable number of large deposits from clients. Total debt said to be about $1,000,000.00 or close to the annual income of the average Noosa resident.

The remaining assetts of the company have been purchased by some-one else.

So Robert Logan no longer operates what was known as Roaring Forties.

What the new operators will name the new venture is unknown to me, but I believe they are "improving" the car.

Rumour has it that Logan contracted some-one in South Africa to start manufacturing the cars. He is said to have sent over a chassis/body/car but also then proceded to send further monies to this contractor to build tooling.
Seems strange to me that you appoint a contractor then pay them to develop tooling, but who am I to question.

Logan also claims to have spent a LOT, as in mega $ to get type approval for the car and the 4.6 Ltr Ford lump.

Others on here may be more educated than me in the demise of Roaring forties.

Short answer.....Roaring forties under Logans control is finished. What the new Company will be called is any-ones guess. But the nice bit is the product will still be available and unless I am wrong...with the 4.6 Ltr approved.

Cheers
Old 06-15-2006, 11:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCC
Les,
It would if it was a RF GT40, considering all the sheet metal work required, they are a lot more work than a DRB.

Roaring Forties has already been moved into a new premises by the new owners. You can see the updated contact details on their web page:
http://www.roaringforties.com.au/contactus.html

Here is a link to the creditors report from GT40s.com web site:
Roaring Forties Notice & Report to Creditors 13.04.06.pdf

They did successfully manufacture & export a couple of GT40's from the South African plant(CAMCO). And have a few other cars in various stages of completion. Looks like these have been sold to an Aus buyer.

Not good news for the industry as a whole. This will definitely have a negative effect on GT40 Australia(DRB) as well, in particular their GT40 exports.

It will be a real struggle for the re-born Roaring Forties and they will not survive if they can sell only to the Aus market. DRB have the advantage of also doing Cobra's.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCC
Les,

I understand why you need a hardtop with all that rain and pelican s$%t you get in Redcliffe
You are a bad man Uncle Pete.

It was just I had some spare $'s hangin around and I was gonna stick the GT40 kit in the shed for some after the cobra activities.

I've not worked on the Cob for a few months now cuz i've been travellin to places rural, training folks in stuff they've been led to believe I know about. Just goes to show....you can fool some of the people etc etc.

However, having made my excuses I'm almost done except for the " GO " bit what sits in the front under the bonnet....and fitting/modifyin the hard top when it arrives from Homebush.

I've got my ole 302 windsor in the shed which was originally fitted to the cob. I've got a new 302W block without a engine number, I've got a new 351W block without an engine number, I've got a new WC T5, I've got a new TK600, and now......I'm being jacked around by the authorities even after them advising me by letter that it would be approved with a windsor in it..

Now ya know why I'm so passionate/verbal about this engine debate.

I don't wanna join the dark side. I want a 351(stroked) injected windsor running undercar cats and pretend side pipes. (I've even got those too)

Small cam, four barrel throttle body and injectors into the runners of a single plan manifold. O2 sensors and a nice autronic/motec to keep the thing all organised.

I know I can make it clean, I just can't prove it will be clean at this stage.

Besides Pete, gettin a GT40 to build after the Cob is finished will give me an excuse to stay in the shed. I don't wanna have to visit the first wife too often in the kitchen.