Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-12-2006, 04:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Question Pondering the Nationals

The LoBelly racer is close to ready for Club reg.

Today my brother and co-builder rings to say that the Phillip Island 6 hr regularity trial details are posted and he's keen.

Turns out its Sep 30/Oct1 and $1400/team
Can probably get a team together without much fuss but might not get licencing in time.

So for the sake of comparison

Nationals is $250/driver which for 2 of us gets us to a third of the Phillip Island event.

And Phillip Island is no sweat.

How long to the Nationals from Melbourne (cobra on trailer) - ball park
How much is accom etc.

What do you spend? - if that's not too personal

Personally I think that I'd prefer to go to the nationals but it would have to be a 'team' decision.

Will have just started a new contract so no goodwill for days off etc.

your thoughts/experiences ?

ta
LoBelly
Old 08-12-2006, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Me personally would prefer the Nationals, especially if you havent been before, I have been as a visitor and will admit it was nothing more than a big tease not having my own car there and vowed not to return until I had my car ready to attend.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

The Winton 6 hour is on the 1st weekend in November.
You could have your cake and eat it too.
I sent a group email out to all the Vic members 2 weeks ago to fill a team for the event. Only took 2 days to fill a team of 6 Cobras. ($200 each for Sat and Sun).
If Judy and I both race at the Nationals it costs over $1000 for the weekend.
Although it's unfortunate that the weekend costs so much, it would be my first pick if you only did one a year (Shelby Fest a close second).
One other important thing to consider. The 6hr is a reglularity event with 29 other cars on the track, the nationals is a club sprint (Shelby Fest also) with only a few cars on the circuit at one time.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Without hesitation, the Nationals. Have you actually been to the Nationals, even as a visitor.

Even without a vehicle I wouldn't miss the Nationals. My GT40 is going to miss it again.

This is what Nationals has going for it:
  • Variety of Events - Sprints, Go-To-Whoa, Drags, Hill Climb
  • Show & Shine
  • More Cobra's than you can poke a stick at(some GT40's & Daytona's)
  • Even more Cobra fanatics.
  • Fantastic Social Events.
  • Cobra manufacturers & suppliers with plenty of time to talk. Well more than usual.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default still pondering

Thankyou all.

I think the Phillip Island 6hr is out. I don't think I can get the licencing etc in time.

That doesn't mean that the Nationals is in though. It might all be just a bit to soon for any form of reg and too far just to watch.

I have to say that it is my personal preference to try to make it but there are a lot of hurdles

Having said that, I just got back from a 'build day' at the brother's. Fitted a clutch pedal stop, some bracing at the back of the car, some mounts for the harnesses and fitted the (4 point) harnesses too. My brother got them from a guy at his work who rallies at a great price.

Then we went for a burn - as its my car I got to be the passenger (I'm told I'll be allowed to drive it one day soon ).

The job just prior to this one was the front brake rebuild - jag (now a flash red rather than rust) with some 'bitey' pads, new internals and new front hoses, Well they work - stomping on the brakes gave me head-rush as we slowed so rapidly - also discovered why people go for the harnesses. Man - those staps sure hold you in check (and anyone who's met me knows that's a lot to hold back)

Also took the engine over 4000rpm for the first time (almost to 5000rpm ). The engine was just sitting - not properly assembled - for about 15+ years prior to our firing it up. Slowly bringing it back.

Anyway with the sound and the feel and the wind etc, you can imagine that I'm really keen to get out for a play soon.

So, how long does it take to get to Wakefield from Melbourne?

ta
LoBelly
Old 08-13-2006, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

About 7 Hours or so.

Cheers

Michael

Old 08-13-2006, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

It's everything 400tt said and more. Now I don't want to sound negative or put you off, but if it's driving your after, particularly given the circumstances you said by trailering it up, you will only get about 29 minutes driving each.
3 x hillclimb @ 1min ea, 3 x drags at 10 sec ea, 3 x go-whoa @ 20 sec ea, and 3 lots of 6 sprint laps at 1:20. If weather ok and time permits, theres usually free track time sunday after the sprints.
Don't get me wrong, it's definatly worth doing, just don't bust your a$$ this year just for 29 mins and get disapionted.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Shelby Fest would be a better goal. By then you should have your car a bit more sorted as well.

I'm a bit concerned about turning up to a big event with an "only just got it running" car on a trailer. The track may be a good place to get the handling sorted etc but with the speeds involved I'd rather do a few shake down runs first and have a little confidence in the car.

Cheers

Old 08-13-2006, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike
I'm a bit concerned about turning up to a big event with an "only just got it running" car on a trailer. The track may be a good place to get the handling sorted etc but with the speeds involved I'd rather do a few shake down runs first and have a little confidence in the car.

Cheers
That's what the Friday practice is for.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ...mmmm...

thankyou all for your contributions
(and particularly to Jason and Mike for answering my questions)

I just got a call to say my rear rims have arrived - more tugging on the 'let 'er rip' strings.

Unfortunately I'm in Wolly - as I look out the window the massive Port Kembla machina is starting to light up (it actually traverses the view through 30+ ft of windows I can see out and its some way away) so I cant go get them for a couple of days. (note to self - order tyres)

I think the car will be in shape for the Nationals but I dont know whether I can make it and co-ordinate with the posse.

ta
LoBelly
Old 08-14-2006, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Friday Practice

David,
you are right with the amout of actual driving you do at the nationals.

But don't forget the friday pactice.

The track is all ours from 9.00am to 4.00pm. Karen and I drove the cobra most of the day untill our arms were hurting and phyiscally could not drive any more.

If you include this in your calculation I think the 29 mins would be extended to well over a few hours, if you were up to it you could drive for the hole 7 or 8hours on the friday.

In my opinion, the best day at the nationals is the friday practice.

I fired up the new engine yesterday and it now looks good to make the nationals.

Phil
Old 08-14-2006, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm

In my opinion, the best day at the nationals is the friday practice.

I fired up the new engine yesterday and it now looks good to make the nationals.

Phil
Have to agree with Friday practice, a great day. Just have someone operating a stop watch for you.

Must be good to breath some life into that new engine, can't wait to see it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: