Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Side Pipes in NSW

Gday

I have been having trouble getting my cobra registered here in Sydney with its side pipes. I need an engineers certificate for them and I am unsure why. I have had the car for 6 years now and have never run into this problem before . It has been registered in WA and NT with working side pipes on both sides and not a problem but when I went to get a Blue slip here to do an interstate transfer the mechanic said I have to get an engineers certificate for the modifications. My side pies are not modifications they came with the car from the manufacturer g force. I have written to the RTA about this and they started talking about ADR's (of which I have just bought the cd of them all) and how it must have an engineers certificate to accept them as complient even though 2 other states have accepted them . Has any one else out there run into this problem? or does anyone know an engineer in sydney who charges a reasonable rate ? Has any one out there won a fight against the RTA in NSW on this subject?

Regards

Craig Rowden

just smile and wave , just smile and wave
Old 08-14-2006, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     

Welcome to NSW, I don't think you will win against the RTA on this issiue. You will need to blank them off and run them out the rear, you may be able to borrow a sytem and replace it afterwoods. The RTA in NSW got caught out before by accepting cars from other states under the other states rules and regulations, as they all differ you know have to meet all the current NSW regs.

Steve
Old 08-14-2006, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

No side pipes have been legal fitment to both sides in NSW that I know of.

There have been a lot of misinformation about the Robnell side pipes, but they were never ADR approved for fitment to both sides.

I think you might be able to have a drivers side only side pipe if you can make it comply with emmissions & noise.

If you had documentation indicating that side pipes had been previously approved, you have a better chance.

I've sent you a PM with details of an engineer to talk to.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

My engineer told me that only on the rhs and meet noise and emissions so I did that with an under car system for blue slip and RTA (spell check says RAT) and then the engineer said it would sound and look better with side pipes !!! yay
Old 08-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

I'm sure others can confirm but as far as I know WA and QLD only will allow side-pipes, you definately dont want to agrivate the RTA with '...but I useda...'

The VicRoads website says that if a car has been registered in another state then it can be registered in Victoria, however the regulations (not described on line) also state that there are certain minimum standards and specifically side-pipes are banned unless the car is pre 1965.

The RTA is not so helpful
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/rego_ntonsw.html

best to try again without the sidepipes -

good luck

LoBelly
Old 08-28-2006, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Definitely can't run two side pipes in QLD. Never have been as far as I know.

A single drivers side only side pipe is fine as far as I know.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks very much for your replies, I have spoken to a few engineers now and they all say the same . I am trying to figure out now how WA and NT do it as they are Australian design rules , and the money hungry RTA people in NSW just say no. They also keep telling me I need the certificate because they are a modification , the car was made with them on it so it is not a modification , does that mean I do not need a certificate.

Any way it looks like I will be shipping the car over to Perth to get registered as that is cheaper than getting a new exhaust

Thanks

Craig
Old 08-28-2006, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

It would not be that hard to get a dodgy exhaust made up to get through rego.

It does not seem like a big deal, certainly not worth sending your car away to Perth for.

I would suggest you talk to Jeff at GT Sports Cars. He is a club member and seems to have a good idea of how to get around this type of thing.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 08-28-2006, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Rowdy1,
Rather than remove the existsing side pipes and have a full under body system made, you may be able to work with the engineer in demonstrating you meet the intent of the relavant ADR. There should be nothing stopping you having the pipes run down the side of the car (suitably shielded) then take off your tips and run some extensions under the car, or pipe the left hand side to the right so the outlets are not exiting to the left. The NSW Snake Pit built DRB Cobra's had fake side pipes with the under body system exiting throught the right hand side, sidepipe outlet.

A Cobra here in ACT got side pipes aproved with the tips of the pipes pointed under the car, on the basis that there was not sufficient ground clearance for an under body system. I don't think that fully met the intent, but it got through.

I don't know why they need an engineers cert, as the ADR's do allow for an exit to the right side of the vehicle. Have you got any of the original paper work or can Rob Grave supply any? just to show this is not a modification, but an original fitment.

There should be a case for you to comply only with the relavant ADR's applicable at the time of first registration, not what is now current.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy1
I am trying to figure out now how WA and NT do it as they are Australian design rules , and the money hungry RTA people in NSW just say no.
Thanks

Craig
Unfortunatly its a problem eveyone who is building or modifying cars suffers.

The Australian Design Rules are applicable nation wide and determine how a vehicle is designed and built, the states then make their own set of registration/roadworthyness rules as to what they allow on their roads, interpreted or usually misinterpreted from the ADR's. Extremely frustrating when everyone's on a different page.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

This is exactly the sort of thing our SA bretheren are working hard to tame - I wont say beat, as this wont happen - but we do need to generate a consistent set of rules so we all know where the goal posts are and will be!!

Whether one wants to then kick straight is a matter of personal choice. But at least we can all gather together and talk the same sh@#%*t rather than second guessing what we might be allowed or not allowed to do with our builds ie all be on the same page.

This is typical government stuff, being an ex regulator i know, but we do really need to make a conscious effort to develop a sensible set of rules and get these adopted nationally by the regulators!!

It is probably one of many reasons why I left the government but even in my field of expertise, I'm a waste -d man, the state waste management group lobbies extremely hard and actively to help protect its members from government stupidity. This is rife!!

All I can finish off with Rowdy1 is best of luck!! You will need it.

Cheers