Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, 5.0L Tickford LPG
Not Ranked     
Question Anyone got 302 on gas?

I'm at the point of deciding/researching which engine I'm going with.
Has anyone got their cobra running a 302 on dedicated gas(LPG)?
I've spoken with a guy who installs gas systems and he reckons you can get just as good performance compared to petrol.
Would like to know how they run from people who live with it.
In W.A. I believe dedicated gas passes requirements.

Cheers
Auscobra
Old 08-31-2006, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: King Cobra, QLD - 347 windsor
Not Ranked     

Not yet, but I am going to run a stroked Windsor, up the compression a little and twin Impco systems.

It seems the major debate I have found is whether to go for Gas Research Carbs, or the IMPCO systems. I have spoken to people that swear by both, but have been swayed by cost and a grater number of people swearing by IMPCO.

There are Ford powered cobras around running dedicated gas, with blowers and turbos. Once I get used to 400hp I may twin turbo as well.

Regards
Hogster - Darwin
Old 08-31-2006, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I reckon a 2x 4 barrel manifold with twin IMPCO CA425 mixers on Holley base plates would be cool. You could run the traditional Cobra air cleaner on top of it too.

Cheers

Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Just ensure you get confirmation of approval with your engineer on what exactly you want to do.
LPG is not the ticket to freedom it once was.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

G'Day auscobra,
The MYTH about gas and poor performance goes back to the old days when auto technology wasn't allowed to be shown to the public.
The story about gas was that it reduced power.....poop.
All it was that gas and petrol had different ignition curves and no one could sort this out so they made a compromise to suit both fuels. so gas got a bum deal and the engine lost power... nowadays gas has a better octane level and dual fuel set ups have electronic ignition converters to change the timing angles. No problem ! In 2004 someone ran a V8 supercar on gas and got an extra 40 HP. Gas converter "experts" prefer to run both petrol and gas systems,they say its better, but its only less work for them as they have to, by law, remove the petrol tank and fuel lines in order to run dedicated gas. I've got a 351 Cleveland in my Cobra...It's not finished yet and not tuned properly yet but it goes hard !
Old 09-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

I'm a little confused, (not all that unusual), but if LPG has a lower energy content than gasoline, how do you get the same performance out of it?

I know it has a higher octane rating, so ut will take a higher compression level, but can you get the power/mileage out of it to match gas?

Table of energy contents:

http://www.nafa.org/Content/Navigati...quivalents.htm

- Dan
Old 09-02-2006, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 1999, 302w
Not Ranked     

What I want to know is where the hell do you put the tank? If I put it in the boot, where do I put the sof top? And how big a tank can you get in there. i wouldn't imagine anything more than about 60 litres and that means a stop at the servo on a VERY regular basis.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

LPG has a lower calorific value than petrol, so you just require more of it to get the same output.
The same goes for LPG and natural gas, natural gas has a lower calorific value than LPG so the appliance requires more gas flow or put simply larger jets.
The flow rate of the LPG will be governed by the vacume, throttle position, engine temp all of which are controlled via the ECU that gas systems now supplied with.
In the past cars have used a very basic arrangment to control the gas, and have been inefficiant. The latest LPG conversions use control equipment not unlike EFI and thier efficiantcy is now alot better. They start easier and have very little reaction time compared to systems of old.
BUT the system Ford is presently flogging on its falcon is the same as taxi's have been using for years. They are the only mass producer of a dedicated LPG car in Aus and have got an old symple system to comply with ADR's.
I have had LPG cars for years and they are just getting better and better.

Gav
Old 09-03-2006, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1995 DRB 302 Windsor, T5 (XR6 internals), Borg Warner 28 spline Diff 3.5:1 ratio, MSD iginition kit.
Not Ranked     

Gday guys,

Ive got my cobra on dedicated gas. I dont have the specs handy but ill get them for you ASAP. From memory im running an Impco system and have the gas tank in the boot...unfortunantly ive only got a 45 litre tank so she doenst have the milage....around 200kms but i havent run her out alll the way as they dont make gas jerry cans from memory

Oh yeah and im running a 86' mustang 302w.

Ill get some photos of the setup and boot arrangement.

Cheers,

Al
Old 09-03-2006, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,
I have got an 80 litre tank jammed in between the chassis rails. have not worked out exact economy but as Al said you get around 100kms for 20 litres gas.

Running a Impco 425 mixer and E convertor
Cheers BJ
Old 09-06-2006, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, 5.0L Tickford LPG
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for all the info

Thanks for the info guys,
That's pretty much made my mind up to go LPG, and I've got the all clear from my engineer. (Still the ticket to freedom in the west!! )

Cheers,
Auscobra