Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 09-11-2006, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Smile Slowy's progress pics. - fuel system

Finally I've managed to finish off the rear end fuel maze.

This started as a standard GF external pump system tank, as came with the kit, but I wanted to run an in-tank pump. After an unsucessful search for an internal pump system I returned to an external pump system - c/- our friends at Ebay.

The plumbing is a bit like a hobbit's tale, there and back, but I believe it will work - bloody hope so!

Managed to squeeze the two pumps and surge tank onto the the frame attached to the Jag diff. Pics 1 and 2. Bunding piping above is transfering fuel to/from the fuel and surge tanks.

Attachment 11645
Attachment 11646

Pic. 4 shows one of those neat little Earl brand filters I've managed to tuck in above the diff. to protect both pumps. Have a finer filter to go into engine bay to protect injection beasts.

Attachment 11647

Pics. 5 & 6 just show surge tank linkage, though pale blue hose is link between surge tank and Bosch primary pump. This was neat burstless hose without clamping. Time will tell here!

Attachment 11648
Attachment 11649

It has been fun??!!!!?? sliding in and out from under the car's rear umpteen untold times fitting and refitting the various parts.

The pics. are all taken from the rear where the tank should be. But at least
the tank fits and no items foul when all the bits are in place.

Will post a pic tomorrow of the car's rear with the tank in place. I have managed to fit it fully beneath the boot to maximise boot space and it makes the back of the car look - ? - fully sic?

My whole goal in this exercise was to keep all the fuel goodies out of the boot so that anything stored in the boot doesn't end up smelling of petrol. I've still to manage the filler neck and breather but have plans for these too!

Ping away with the comments, particularly of any practical mods. that might be worthwhile.

Happy viewing - Cheers

Last edited by stephen low; 05-31-2008 at 04:39 AM..
Old 09-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default Holy Cow

It's busier than Flinders St down there.

If that's what it takes to do EFI then I think if I tried my brain would pop.

It looks like you've really put in the hours to keep your boot clear - its hard to tell from the angle but how close are the fuel connections to your LHS rear brake disk?

Also - it looks like it all fits on a single sub-frame - if not then perhaps consider this while you can/have the motivation. Would be a lot easier when it comes time to dial in the rear end or do any work there.

Wow

LoBelly
Old 09-11-2006, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks Michael

Yes it is now rather crowded!!

Now I know the gen, if I ever swap to a fabricated tank I will be able to specify better tank connection locations than what was on the GF tank and which I just had to work to. Not saying they are bad but they did limit options.

No it is the angle, I've made certain that there are adequate clearances so that I don't get rubbing and an eventual spill/leak. Hate to have a firey back end one day, that wouldn't be good!

Once the tank is located there is bugger all room rearwards from the frame holding the diff., about a 20 - 25mm gap I think, so there was limited capability to instal a sub-frame, just more space consumed.

I've also put this together in a way to try and help accessibility after the event, in case of malfunction, to reduce the amount of bits that need to be detached off the body when I want to remove this again and as previously said to keep the boot as clear as possible for odour free/space gains.

I could have slotted a number of items higher up above the diff. on the body, but access and attachment to the body panel is compromised.

Like most ideas I gained initial inspiration from pics posted of someone elses exact same set up - so no real wheel re-invention here.

Cheers
Old 09-11-2006, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Keep the fuel out....

Hey Slowly,

That a good idea keeping the fuel out of the boot, I have tried
different things to get that Unleaded smell out of my clothes BUT its doesn't
work. I would love to remove all the internal plumbing out but it would be a HUGE job, maybe something to do next winter. At least everyone will smell
like petrol at the Nats.

STIFFY
Old 09-11-2006, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Looks Great Slowy.

I agree with keeping all fuel system stuff out of the boot. I've been around quite a few Cobras now that waft out a nive fuel smell when you open the boot.

Personally I'd prefer to be known as a Petrol Head rather than Petrol Pants. No fuel smells in the boot for me.

Cheers

Old 09-12-2006, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.

I've another idea for the filler neck to help fight odour, anyone care to comment if they have seen it before.

Will plumb between filler neck and tank neck presumably with steel tube and clamped rubber joins but am thinking of sleeving this whole shebang in a larger rubber sock clamped off at both ends above the internal clamps!

Will it work?

Cheers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: