Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 12:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 302 Windsor Supra 5 speed Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     
Default Advice on an ECU

Hi guys,

I have a new AU series 3 engine for my Cobra and I need an ECU.
I was going to use a standard Ford AU unit, but I have been informed by several sources that the later model Smartshield units can't be cracked and will not function without the matching body computer ane steering column lock. Very early AU's used the older Smartlock ECU, which is easily cracked, but they were limited in number and are imposible to find.
So I am after your suggestions, there are many aftermarket ECU's out there, what has been your experience, and which would you reccomend?

Thanks

Ross
Old 10-07-2006, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

I reckon Autronic are best bang for buck and reliable. We fitted SM2 to that black Harrison my brother now races. I also noticed that DRB also fit Autronic to all their turnkey GT40's, they use SM4.

We initially thought Motec, great product, very flexible, but the cost kills you. And forget about optional extras like traction control, launch control, boost control, data logging etc, you would need to morgage the house.

Watch out for hidden extras. Autronic come standard with wiring harness, map sensor, data logging etc, all stuff that costs extra with Motec.

I actually run an old EMS in my GT40.

Yeah, lots of options, good luck.

Also whatever ECU you go with, ask for a startup map for your engine configuration.

Last edited by 400TT; 10-07-2006 at 12:59 AM..
Old 10-07-2006, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 99% it will be Classic Revival,Might have to join the boys on the DARK side.
Send a message via ICQ to STASIK A4 Send a message via AIM to STASIK A4 Send a message via Yahoo to STASIK A4
Not Ranked     

Tell you what.... Bang for the $$$$ you cant go past Autronic Im Running Sm2 with CDI in my Audi and extra features like Boost , launch and NOS controlls are something that you have to pay extra for with Motec.... and Autronic has a feature called AUTO tune which is AWSOME.... Been running Sm2 for few years now and i personaly think its the best move i ever made...

Cheers
Stasik
Old 10-07-2006, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Ross

I have talked to a Ford engineer who has indicated smartshield can be switched off but on an AU2 in my case. I would presume AU2 vs 3 will not be terribly different. In fact a whole raft of mods can be done on the std computer but you need the ford linkage to best achieve this.

He did also say the B series version is harder again to crack.

However the chances of you finding a similiar contact are slim so if you can go aftermarket do it, I would suggest. However I have heard the same stories re using early AU ECU's to overcome security and though I don't know for certain, I get the impression an early AU ecu is not that hard to get here in Vic.

Just some thoughts!

Cheers
Old 10-07-2006, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Bite the bullet

I persevered with a factory ford computer when the car was first built, it cost a lot to get right and at the end of the day was still unreliable and had a limited amount of tunability.

Go for a good aftermarket system, I went for the motec, as it was simpler to set up and I have no need for boost control, data loging etc.

But if you do want these features I don't think you can go past the Autronic.

You may have to be a little deceptive when it comes to engineering as I am sure you would have to run a standard factory computer.

Phil

Last edited by Philm; 10-07-2006 at 08:05 AM..
Old 10-07-2006, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Smith
Hi guys,

I have a new AU series 3 engine for my Cobra and I need an ECU.
I was going to use a standard Ford AU unit, but I have been informed by several sources that the later model Smartshield units can't be cracked and will not function without the matching body computer ane steering column lock. Very early AU's used the older Smartlock ECU, which is easily cracked, but they were limited in number and are imposible to find.
So I am after your suggestions, there are many aftermarket ECU's out there, what has been your experience, and which would you reccomend?

Thanks

Ross
G'day Ross

I'm using the Ford AU3 ECU but as you state you need the body Control Module, ECU, Keys and Ignition Barrel from the same donor for it to work. Basically you don't bypass Smartshield at all, instead you are fooling it to think that it is in the same car. As for tunibility, AU edit will now take care of that.

However, assuming you have a 5.0 you could use a AU2 or AU1 ECU and buy the "black box" from Castle Auto Electrics. The ECU tune b/w AU2 and AU3 for the standard 5.0 didn't change so in theory your AU3 engine should turn over fine.The black box sends the correct security signal to the ECU and as such bypasses Smartlock. As Lowy said, I believe AU1 or AU2 ECUs are available in Vic.

Short of that I know of a number of Cobras using Autronic (NA and s/charged) and they have had no problems. The only down side to Autronic is that it doesn't have an econony mode like a factory system (doesn't use O2 sensors - at least not in the setups I've seen) and, this has been told to me by the people I know who use Autronic, the mapping doesn't adapt as well as a factory system if at all, to different conditions as it doesn't use as many sensors, eg MAF sensor.

Finally could be a bit tricky getting past engineering and it's illegal on a street car (how many cobras are legal?: JEKYLHYDE ) I know of some owners using the factory ECU case with Autronic internals)
Old 10-07-2006, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Economy Mode!!!!

You are driving a COBRA!

After saying that, yesterday (Bathurst Saturday) our friends in blue found me doing 124kms whilst overtaking on a big long straight and 'gave' me a $250 fine and -four points.

I'll let you all in on something, just because it is Bathurst Weekend and it is in Brocky's honour, is not a good enough excuse in the coppers eye.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you enjoy working with electronics, or even if you dont, the MegaSquirt system that I have is cheap, reliable, built with off the shelf components, and has all the features that the top end stuff has. You can get them completely built and delivered, and they have a sweet wiring harness you can get with it. The software is always getting better, but is absolutely at par with the rest of the stuff out there for up to 10 times the money. Just check it out.

James
Old 10-07-2006, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

I have an AUII XR8 motor.

I use the original ecu and body control module, must have these 2 I believe. I got ignition from a different vehicle and the keys are new. However a ford computer is needed to code the keys to the engine, my auto elec had one bought down from QLD.

Car goes fine but I have not made any modifications
Old 10-07-2006, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

I will put in a vote for Motec because if you are worried about cost why build a Cobra?
I have had all the extras turned on data logging, lamda, launch control, etc in the end it all depends on what your intension's are.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 302 Windsor Supra 5 speed Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks everyone

What a great response !

Thanks for your opinions, it's why this forum is so good.
I was already looking at the Autronic and its great to hear that it is so highly regarded. I will let you know what I end up doing.

Cheers

Ross
Old 10-09-2006, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic revival 302w
Not Ranked     

Hey Ross
if youre in perth check this guy out pie@icenet.com.au
his name is peter well worth talking to also you can run the original eec and body module and ignition switch just hide them under the dash bit of clutter but it will work and run a seperate ign sw to pwr up the one under the dash or use an earlier eec pin location will not difffer that much you can find that out by looking in workshop manuel