Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2006, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default What a fortnight

Well as the title says I have had a fairly full on 2 weeks.

I will start from the begining and finish up with tonight.

It all started Saturday 2 weeks ago, the day I met Steve (the guy with the Holdens). Had a fantastic day checking out all his cars and talking about where other cars are hiding out bush, he gave me a mud map to the location of a Charger.
Saturday night had beers with friends.
Sunday was nothing unusual and in the evening got invited to a friends house for dinner (Shorty), declined the dinner because I wanted to take Ronda to the movies.

Go to work on Monday and get asked "Did you hear about Shorty", It appears he was bitten by a Western Brown and his wife found him that night not breathing, after the ambulance arrived they got him breathing again, The news wasnt good though, he had no brain activity. His wife waited until his Mum flew into town before they turned off the machine.
He had complained to his wife earlier in the night of stepping on a dogs bone, it appears that is when the snake got him, the doctors found the marks. If it was known to be a snake bite he would still be here.

Through the week I organise a trailer and wheels to go and get the Charger, in the meantime I have been eyeing of a 1952 chevy ute but not known who owned it (was stored at the back of a business yard)
On Friday I get a call, a mate tells me "I have a number for the chevy - and I reckon he is keen to sell"
I give the guy a call and after a quick chat I ask if he wants to sell the ute, he tells me :yeah I am moving to Brisbane and cant be bothered moving it all" I ask how much and he tells me $200.00
I quickly say yes and then he tells me "I have the chassis at home - it has been sandblasted and powdercoated, I also have the engine and gearbox, they have both been reconditioned, you can have them too"

Saturday arvo I head off in search of the Charger, 401 kls from my driveway I pull up infront of it and start getting wheels back on it.
With full intentions of sleeping the night on the trailer I set myself the task of getting the Charger on its feet and lined up with the trailer before setting up camp.
I get this done with about 15 minutes till dark, time to set up camp, first I better get a fire going, dig a hole, build a fire, Damn - left the matches at home, try to use the car cigarette lighter, still no go.
After 20 minutes of swearing I decide I may as well load up and head home.
Quickly and easier than expected the Charger is loaded, packed and off I head, it is now 8.15pm
The road where the car was is 51kls and with the car on the trailer the corrugations where so bad I could only do 20 - 25 kph.
So I get back to the Lasseter highway (to the rock) and start heading home, I quickly realise why everyone says not to drive that road at night - within 20kls I have seen about 100 kangaroos.
Eventaully I hit one and decide that this is crazy, time to sleep, it is about 10.20pm
I roll out the swag and get into bed, after laying there for 5 minutes all I could think of was that bloody "Wolf creek" movie.
So swag is back in the car and I am off again, watching the fuel gauge I realise I wont get back to Alice so I will refuel at Ernabella. I roll into Ernabella service station 20 minutes after they have closed, after another 20 mintes of swearing I park the car and trailer so they form a V shape and roll the swag out in the middle (dont want to get run over).
I wake up at 5.00am and wait till 7.00 for the servo to open, finally fueled up I head home.
Getting home I unload everything and here is a pic.

I take some time off work and attend Shorty's funeral on Wednesday, a great service that was held at the Finke race start/finish line.
A local rider rode Shoty's race motor bike into the finishline on the track, then after the service he left again with the chequered flag.

The wake was held at the Motocross track around the corner from me (close to Shorty's house too) and the last people stagger home at 1.00am after a great night (the way he would have wanted it)

Fast forward now to today, I get myself organised and get the chevy home, I havent got the Chassis, engine or gearbox yet.
Sitting at the traffic ligts with the chev on the trailer an old fella winds his window down and says "I know where there is another one of those" I get him to pull over and he gives me directions, turns out to be only about 45kls from home so I decide once unpacked I will go for a look.
Here is the chev

I head out bush again and here is what I find

It turns out that this is a 46 or 48 year model and is totaly different (might have same tailgate)
I am going to grab the tailgate and any shiny bits that I may use.

Sorry about the long winded story, I am not looking for sympathy but felt I needed to say it all, sorta get it of my chest so to speak.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Having no clue whatsoever what a fortnight was/is, I was well entertained by your tale of adventure.

Sincere sympathies to Shorty's wife, and you, for his loss. It does sound like you sent him off right, tho; hoping people don't stop drinking when my turn comes.

Best of luck with the prizes - and keep a sharp eye out for the reptiles in them.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

A fortnight is 2 weeks

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Hey Boxhead,
What model Charger is it? A mate of mine has been offered really big dollars for the E38 Charger he is restoring.
Cheers
BJ
Old 11-04-2006, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is just a plain jane E26 (base model) VJ

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-04-2006, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

What a story boxhead.

Sorry to hear about your mate.

Ben
Old 11-04-2006, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 302 Windsor Supra 5 speed Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     
Default that's a helluva week Boxhead

You win some and you lose some, life is full of suprises (some you could do without). Sounds like a fitting funeral.

Ross
Old 11-04-2006, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 302 Windsor Supra 5 speed Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     
Default that's a helluva week Boxhead

You win some and you lose some, life is full of suprises (some you could do without). Sounds like a fitting funeral.

Ross
Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Sorry about your friend Boxhead.

Man....my first 3 cars were Chargers, eventually sold the 'good' one coz I moved to town and there was no parking.

still miss it - even good vanilla versions are getting pricey now.

Sensational find - Looks like a beauty - let me know if you pick another up would you?

ta
LoBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 11-06-2006 at 06:13 AM..
Old 11-05-2006, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Our condolences Boxy, I hope everyone is holding up well.

Gav Irvine
Old 11-05-2006, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought my last Hilux becuase of hitting a roo with my VS ute.
Funny though it makes you feel no better when you see them coming from the corner of your eye.
I am doing a fair bit of work up at Brocken Hill at the moment and when travelling if its not roos it bloody goats!

You do realise that when you have too many toys on the go that the cobra will not get the attention it needs.

Gav
Old 11-05-2006, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not touching anything until I get the Cobra registered.

I just didnt want to leave them where they where as I know the crushers are around.

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-06-2006, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There would be plenty of burnt out landcruisers for them wouldn't there?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear about your friend David, Sounds like he got a great send off though.

You've picked up a couple of excellent project vehicles. That Chev will make a great tow vehicle for the Cobra once you put the right running gear under it. I'd be cutting the front off the rails and grafting a HQ holden front in there or a HT cross member. Disk brakes and proper ball joints that are easy to source. An LS1 and auto would be an excellent power plant and Holden 1 tonner Salsbury diff for the rear.

Cheers

Old 11-07-2006, 02:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey how tuff would that body look dropped and lowered onto a HQ-WB ute chassis? No problem with rego as it is still a HQ WB!

Feel free to deliver the body whenever you are free Dave! Mike will be available for a new project soon anyway
Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Boxhead

Hell mate what a fortnight - 14 days - you have had. Sorry to hear about your friend there.

And they are a protected species those snakes...

Keep focused on the Cobra..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026