Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Need some wheels.

I am looking for 2 17 x 9inch rims, to put some smoking tyres on.

I would need them to have about a 90mm front space. Not to worried about looks as long as they are straight.

Thanks

Phil
Old 11-24-2006, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

What would you be smoking while using them Phil?
Old 11-25-2006, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

Phil
They will go nicely with your pipe and smoking jacket.

Brett

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 11-25-2006, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Hey Phil,
This bloke might lend you a couple already smokin'
Old 11-25-2006, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

Always easy to smoke the tyres when there not yours!
Old 11-25-2006, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Would that be lend or return those wheels?
Old 11-25-2006, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Getting serious

Yes they are my wheels on Phils car, those tyres have had a work out and they are still going, 2 nationals with 2 drivers , Winton, a couple of skid pan days and of course the last nationals.

I will come clean, I have a set of 275/40 17 Mickey Tompson ET Street radials that I need rims for, I want to get out of it as cheap as possible.

Karen and I went to WSID last wednesday night and had a go at drag racing, the best we did was a 12.088 for Karen and a 12.055 for myself. We could only soft launch as we would of just spun the wheels. These tyres should see us in the 11s.

Having too much fun to worry about paint!!!

Phil
Old 11-26-2006, 11:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

M/T ET radials are gun tyres, you certainly won't be dissappointed...

What were your 60ft times and MPH???

Did the WSID scrutineers ask you to fit a racing harness, arm restraints, full cage etc.?????? See Kwinana Motorplex rules below...

Road worthy closed cars (Sedans/Utes etc) Min clothing, a helmet and long sleeves, long pants and enclosed footware.

Road worthy open cars (convertibles/roadsters) slower than 12.99 seconds (1/4mile)/8.50 (1/8mile). Min clothing, a helmet leather jacket or bike jacket with appropriate inserts, full face helmet and visor full leather gloves long pants and shoes and socks.

Road worthy open cars (convertibales/roadsters) faster than 12.99 seconds (1/4mile)/8.50 (1/8mile). As per ANDRA rules ie: roll cage, arm restraints, harness, etc

Last edited by Plums; 11-26-2006 at 11:20 PM..
Old 11-26-2006, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Turn A Blind eye.

HI Plums,
When scruteneering I was asked what would it do and I said I was hoping for a 13. They were pretty good and were more interested in looking at the car than being worried if I would kill myself.

We have a 5 point harness, and a single hoop roll bar.

I did the first run and that was the 12.055, picked up the slip and as I drove passed the scruteneering shed I was signaled to come in. I thought that was It one run and I am off. To my suprise they said well done, you should be able to get an 11 tonight, have fun. So we did Karen had 5 passes and I had 6.

The numbers.

Firstly to my suprise the car weighs 1250KGS, with out a driver. This is the 80kgs of speakers and a full tank of fuel.

Phil.
R/t .519
60 1.982
330 5.221
660 7.882 mph 92.91
1000 10.129
ET 12.055
MPH 115.06

Karen
R/t .514
60 2.089
330 5.386
660 8.028 mph 93.86
1000 10.237
ET 12.088
MPH 119.92

I suspect that we will get another go and if we are quicker will get sent home.

The original builder of the roll cage has earned the title "king on the Muck around" I have now booked in with Peter Cleary to build the cage in January.

Having too much fun.

Phil
Old 11-27-2006, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the snappy reply Phil, so you're saying they really didn't care that it was running low 12's or possibly 11's??

It's hard to tell without knowing all the details of the vehicle, but at a guess I reckon you should be able to run around 11.7 with 60ft times of high 1.6X or low 1.7X.

Don't run any more than 20PSI in the ET radials (I run 10.5psi), and remember to heat them up.

A few Drag Racing tips for anyone that is interested:

Don't do your burnout in the middle of the water, roll to the far edge of the water, (otherwise you'll get water on your tyres as you roll out of the pad).

Try to "shallow stage" your car. After you've lit the pre-stage lights (bottom set of white lights) roll very slowly into full stage (top white lights). You want to just bring the top lights on. This will give you the maximum amount of roll-out and produce the best possible ET.

Don't worry about your reaction time, just go when you are ready (unless you're in competition obviously). Your reaction time has no bearing on your elapsed time and MPH. You could wait until the person next to you has crossed the finishline then go and still end up with a quicker ET than them.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not as easy as it looks

Plums, thanks for the tips, it was a bit embarasing when the starting offical came over and said to move up a bit untill the white lights come on.

We could push the car harder but we did not want to push our luck, an 11.7 would be fantastic, I hope just to get an 11.

After the cage is installed I think we can get a 10 second pass out of the car, remove the speakers. low fuel load, perfected launch technique and diff ratio change.

We currently go thru the finish just shifting into 4th.

I think the Wednesday night street drags are not as uptight as other events, and we were the only open top car. I am sure if the right or wrong offical was there it may have been a different story.

Drag racing is a lot of fun, it is relatively safe, you get to see all the action by sitting in one position, the sounds and smells really get things pumping.

We have 3 kids, 16, 14, 12 they wcame along and had a great time as well.

I am planning on rebuilding the engine in 12 months from over use.

Getting back to the thread, I picked up some 17 x 9 rims from a skyline pretty cheap so we are on for Wednesday night.

Phil
Old 11-27-2006, 01:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

See you there Phil!

Ben