Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-01-2006, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival LS1 6spd
Not Ranked     
Default 3 year grace period

Can anyone tell me what happens at the end of the 3 year grace period if you have not got your vehicle registered? The vehicle will be registered in Victoria

The chassie was built 03 and motor is out of 2003 Manaro.

I am owe so close to getting it registered, (just have to complete engine wiring and exhaust) but are running out of time. I just need to know should I burn the midnight oil to get it completed or not. No body can give me a straight answer as to what happens at the end of the grace period.

Also does anybody know what RTA regulations this falls under so I can do some more rearch on it.

Thanks

Rod
Old 12-01-2006, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: King Cobra, QLD - 347 windsor
Not Ranked     

In my neck of the woods you can provide the local motor vehicle authority with an update on the build and apply for an extension to the time frame.Up here they say as long as long as you are progressing the build, a time extension shouldn't be an issue.

Regards
Hogster - Darwin
Old 12-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

The three year 'grace' period for ICVs is the period after the start of the new ADR that you may continue to build under the old spec and still be compliant.

So, the new standard for engines (Euro 3/4?) came into effect on 01/01/05, which means that - as long as your engineer agrees - the build is complete and signed off before 31/12/07 with an engine that was compliant at 31/12/04 you should be ok.

My understanding is that the prior date for a new engine standard was 1998, so if you have your ducks in a row a new passenger car engine built between 1998-2004 will be ok until 2007

But, typically, your build will have had to have started under the supervision of an engineer during the period that the prior rules applied (i.e. before 2005) - unless you find a nice one.

The RTA is a NSW body - in Victoria its VicRoads.

The ADRs are Federal legislation - you can get a CD of the ADRs for not much$

Time to google up the lego

LoBelly
Old 12-01-2006, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

If in doubt,
write to the General Manager of Vic Roads and ask him for an answer. That way you have the final date in writting and it will stand up in a court of law.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

If your General Manager of Vic Roads is anything like are D.M.V. you will get a different answer every time you call
Old 12-02-2006, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Correct!

That's why you get it in writting.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Your letter should state the make of Kit and the exact engine you are using. That way there is no chance of them backing out of it.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Roda I once asked the same question re grace period through our VicRoads, but no one in the club could answer so I have stuck with the game plan of registration before end of 2007.

As Lobelly said pre 05 engines are compliant to end 2007 ie AU series XR8 the last that meets those regs.

But I would also heed LoBelly's other point of being signed up with a VASS engineer (Vicroads certified) before you talk to VicRoads. You may need to talk to a few engineers though to find one willing to accept you late in the piece.

I'm using Engelmans but I think they a fairly straight down the line on such things however they had a fellow, Colin Young, who has left them and works for himself part time I believe and I think he was a bit more forgiving.

I'm not sure how you can find out where he has gone but it would be worth looking.

Cheers
Old 12-04-2006, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Ibr8k4vetts

Mike,

Mmmm.. but we don't have the SB100 sh!t here yet...
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 12-04-2006, 04:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default eh ...

Quote:
but we don't have the SB100 sh!t here yet...
What? I'd love to get something like SB100 here

an explanation from SEMA web site

Quote:
...Under the BAR policy, the emissions controls of specially constructed vehicles are determined by one of two separate processes; (1) based on what the vehicle body or engine most resembles, or (2) model year or configuration of the engine installed.

In the first case, under the provisions of the Specially Constructed Vehicle Emission Control Program (commonly known as CA Senate Bill 100), a smog test referee compares the vehicle to those of the era that the vehicle most closely resembles to determine its model year. The vehicle's owner can then choose whether the inspector will certify the vehicle per the year of the body or the engine. If there is no close resemblance, the vehicle is classified as a 1960 model year. The Senate Bill 100 registration program is limited, however, to the first 500 applications for registrations of specially constructed vehicles submitted to DMV per year that meet the criteria. DMV
you can choose if you want the certification per the year of the body or engine !

Hmmmmmm let me see ........

LoBelly
Old 12-13-2006, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

were did you pull this from??
Old 12-13-2006, 04:03 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Trying to be in the first 500 per year has got to be tough, so many builds in California.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraxsg
Trying to be in the first 500 per year has got to be tough, so many builds in California.

how many heads in california are there. and they dont have the RTA to contend with.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraxsg
They will all be gone on 1/2/07 by 9:AM
Old 12-13-2006, 05:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom0427
how many heads in california are there. and they dont have the RTA to contend with.
33,871,648 heads...legally, much much more illegally No RTA, But DMV

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: