Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: rmc
Not Ranked     
Default decided to build rather than buy,what do you think!

hi all. have decide to build car rather than buy,saw laurie (RCM) and was very impresed.Thinking of using 5.4L ford with auto.Can i get some opions out there
peterp
Old 12-02-2006, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Good Luck

Hi Peterp,

What other kits have you seen to compare??

I opted for the easy way out (purchase) as I dont have the skill or patience to build.

STIFFY
Old 12-03-2006, 12:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Like Stiffy, I had neither the skill or patience to build. Despite a few hassles, I'd do it again.
Those 5.4L Fords are the duck's guts. They squirt a 1800 kg ute along real nice. I often think what it would be like in a 1200 kg cobra. Not sure I'd go the auto in the lighter car though. Just a little slow through the ratios (but probably quicker than my left hand and foot!!) and not nearly as much fun.
Richard
Old 12-03-2006, 01:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: rmc
Not Ranked     

seen george at (python)& the usual on the net(Im based in melb)& are after a local manufacture because my experience is limited
Old 12-03-2006, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 5.4 260 BOSS, 5 speed tremec, Jag running gear.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

That's why I got a RCM.
I had no idea where to start and the beauty of RCM is I know i can call Laurie any time or go over to his place and he is always ready to answer my sometimes stupid questions. I'm nearly finished and I have the 5.4 Quad Cam in my car. What I have learnt by building this car is amazing, Welding, Fiber glassing, Fabricating my own parts Etc..... the self satisfaction cant be described especially if you have never done anything like this before. Whichever kit you go with good luck, and this forum is the best build help you will find on the net.

Nader
Melbourne.Vic
Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

you're nuts ;-)

LoBelly
Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     
Default Shop around

Peterp,

Have you checked other alternatives here in Melbourne?. I would also make the trip to both Doug Pearce Engineering in Lilydale or Marty Govett (Kenmer Engineering) in Noble Park. Both very experienced in building Cobra's and have seen and built just about all the kits on the market.

There are also many interstate kits available and many members here in Vic are building. I would also look at Classic Revival, Harrison Cobras, Superperformance(Vic), RMC(WA) and G force(WA). Depending on the kit you build there is sure to be someone here who can give you advice.(Most times the best advice because they have made a modification that fixes a problem.)

Good luck with your choice.
Cheers

Tony

Last edited by Tony Cram; 02-02-2007 at 01:42 PM..
Old 12-04-2006, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 5.4 260 BOSS, 5 speed tremec, Jag running gear.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly
you're nuts ;-)

LoBelly
Thats all????
Old 12-04-2006, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

peterp

Must agree with Tony in the above 'Post'.

Check a few different kits out.

The Harrison has been built at Dougs' factory by Rob H. and the Classic revival is being built at Aussie Mikes home.

Both of the above will give you a view of a slightly more expensive kit that requires little work. Lauries' kit is also quite good but does require that little extra work to finish and is a lot cheaper to start with.

It depends on your ability and time available.

Perhaps come along to a club meeting and meet some of the guys who have the cars you mention.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 12-04-2006 at 03:01 AM..
Old 12-04-2006, 04:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default Thats all?

Quote:
Thats all????
yep - deep down you know its true.

not that it stops us

LoBelly
Old 12-08-2006, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

G'day peterp,

I cannot fault Laurie's help and service. He's a genuine fella who just wants to see you get your car on the road. You also become part of the RCM family which goes out cruising and the like at the drop of a hat. I've become mates with some really good blokes (who are not members of VCC) who also just want to see you with your car on the road and are happy to help you out as well. You end up getting more than just Laurie's help with the build.

I chose Laurie's kit because of the chassis's simplicity and strength. Like you, I was very inexperienced and wanted a local kit manufacturer. However I have not found the build to be difficult at all and I'm an accountant.

Some people have criticised Laurie's kit because of the "so called extra work" it requires compared to other kits. I have two responses to this statement:

Firstly, you get what you pay for. Laurie's kit ($7,800) undercuts everything else on the market by thousands. Considering both the chassis and body are subcontracted you don't need to be an accountant to realise that Laurie is not making big dollars on a kit.
Secondly, choice. For example, what's the point welding in seat brackets if you don't want to use the original style of seats, like I have? What's the point welding in a transmission mount if you don't know what trannie you are going to use? Welding up these brackets is not hard to do. If you're over six foot then you have the choice to move the footboxes forward a couple of inches so you can be more comfortable. Glassing in footboxes is not hard. The more fabrication that's done by the kit supplier the more it's gonna cost.

I checked out Classic revival, Python, Robnell and Superformance. So should you. In the end I chose RCM because of the level of after-sales service and value for money.

Happy hunting
Old 12-13-2006, 01:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nassty, do you get a commission for selling Lorries kits. Boy, do you love him??

but if i was to buy, DONT BUY THE BLING STUF NOW, GET: HAND BRAKE, FUEL LINES, PEDDLES ETC . there’s nothing worse than to have a car sit, and sit and sit due to not having a welder, fiberglasser, engineer etc, etc.......take the hassle out of building a car, buy it as complete as possible. Mirrors, windscreen and a fuel cap doesn’t get your car registered.

Happy hunting.

Hope you bag a good one
Old 12-13-2006, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom0427
Nassty, do you get a commission for selling Lorries kits. Boy, do you love him??

No commission David, just giving credit where it's due.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

In my opinion building the car was almost as much fun as driving it. If you have the time and place to work on it go for it. I just got a great sense of acheivment doing it all myself!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Peter P

I put together a worldwide list of Cobra mnfg's, with tel# and links to web sites. I keep updating it periodically. Its a zipped Excel file located on ...

List of Manufacturers

I bought mine used ... but drove it 2 days later. Can you build a Cobra in two days?

Good Luck
Old 12-13-2006, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Australia, Bullet Proof Windsor
Not Ranked     

peterp

I have built a DRB kit from the Gold Coast Keith Fackerall from KCF Rallysport kipparing was the guiding light very knowlegeable and likeable bloke. It took 5 years but so worth it. Patience a good area to build and lots of planning and investigation to not have to buy stuff a second time. Some stuff i have since found from other suppliers and could have made to suit better eg fuel tank, Roll Bars and electrical system.
again patience is the key

Best of luck and if you buy 1 dont buy someone elses mistakes.

Barker
Old 12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Firstly, you get what you pay for. Laurie's kit ($7,800) undercuts everything else on the market by thousands.

Dose it come with a tax recept??.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom0427
Firstly, you get what you pay for. Laurie's kit ($7,800) undercuts everything else on the market by thousands.

Dose it come with a tax recept??.
Of course it came with a tax invoice. It was the first thing my engineer wanted to see.

David, pull you head in. Your comments in this thread are way out of line.

Last edited by NASSTY; 12-13-2006 at 04:58 PM..
Old 12-13-2006, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

im sorry........................ na

take a chill pill.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As a casual visitor and interested observer in the goings on in here, I can only concur with Nasstys Comments.

David you really do need to pull your head in mate. Its plainly obvious you havent endeared yourself (on the whole) to members of the cobra community in the past, and you are really not contributing much at present apart from another unsuccessful fore into the cobra and part supply business. Your occaisional seagull impressions, where you come in from time to time, make a lot of noise and $hit on everything and everyone, and pi$$ back off to where you came from arent really relevant anymore. If you have something positive to say, by all means say it, but if all your going to do is make continued smart arse remarks about someone who on the whole HAS endeared himself to to cobra community, then you just really shouldnt bother.

my 2 cents!