Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 04:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default Yellow

I forgot to mention in my last post how my brother and I had been discussing whether to do a home paintjob or not.

He asked the panel guy down the road about the preparation and for a ball park price on spaying the car. Panel guy was very helpful and dropped over a spray-gun, some thinners, undercoat and hardener which I showed being put to use in the prior post.

Anyway, another week of rubbing and then this monday, while on holidays - my very generous brother took the cobra into the panel shop where they's decided they could squeeze me in before christmas.

These photo are just with the phone camera and in an unlit shed - so colour is nqr - but you get the idea. Actual colour is Ford 'Rapid Yellow' - there was a BA Falcon GT on display at the brothers dealership when we got the kit and it was impressive...

No stripes yet - have a plan. Also no doors, bonnet or boot lid or price yet - taking a deep breath.

You can see that we've started to put some bits back on.

And I'm delighted with the result

LoBelly
Old 12-14-2006, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Congrats LoBelly. Your moby doesn't do the paint any favours but I've seen BA's in the colour. Will look great. Thanks for the pics
Old 12-14-2006, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Sure looks good there LoBelly.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looking great LoBelly! I'll be interested to see what your plan for stripes is!
Old 12-14-2006, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks the goods.
Leave it without stripes.
Richard
Old 12-14-2006, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

LoBelly

looks great and the yellow pics dont do the real color justice. I'm sure its impressive in the flesh. Your brother sounds like a real mate.

Leeroy
Old 12-15-2006, 11:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

You bugger Michael, that's the colour I'm doing, or did you get that from me at a meeting??

What colour stripes you got planned?

Have to agree the pics. don't do the yellow colour any justice, as it is a nice colour on the cars.

Are you spraying any clear or similar over the top?

Cheers
Old 12-17-2006, 01:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default Thankyou

Thanks Everyone for the nice comments.

Have got some more shots (still phone camera)

Gives a better impression of the colour (and more complete)

Stephen, I know you're planning Yellow but I can assure you that I'd pretty much decided on this in about Jan 2005 (which was a little while before we met)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we wont end up with the same stripes, although richardferguson's suggestion to leave it has a lot of appeal.

My brother had his 40th in the shed and need to make the space so I arrived to see it pretty much finished.

Have to do something about being able to drive it now (and maybe lose some girth so my lap times aren't too much higher due to friction on the steering wheel)

re-assembly

The cold - or rather glaring and Hot - light of day

LargeBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 12-17-2006 at 01:28 AM..
Old 12-17-2006, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     

GREAT looking Cobra!! I really like cars that aren't painted the typical Indigo or Silver color!! If the rumble doesn't let them know you're coming, that yellow sure will! VERY NICE!!!

PS: I personally prefer the stripes on most Cobras, BUT your's looks fantastic sans stripes. Weird place for the streering wheel)
Old 12-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Jim
That's odd, my wheels on the same side as LoBelly's, are you sure the pictures in your gallary aren't put in upside down?

LoBelly, thats some slick paint....looking great.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Hey Michael

Is your BiL a painter by training or experience?

What fee would your brother charge to non-family cobra builders?

Steve
Old 12-18-2006, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Looking really good Michael,

I reckon leave it sans stripes also. The solid yellow contrasting with the black interior looks great.

Ferrari have been using bold solid colours to advantage for years. The solid colour makes you look at the beautiful shape of the car rather than be distracted by stripes and graphics.

Cheers

Old 12-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default the bottom line

The more I look at it the less inclined I am to add stripes.
Maybe a little way down the track when I feel like a change.

Right now we're trying to quieten it down and fix the odd thing here and there.

My brother has got the price from the panel shop and I also reimbursed him for the materials he purchased while prepping the car, it all came to c.$500

I think thats remarkably good value and largely a reflection of the goodwill my brother has generated with the local shop and his efforts tidying up the car and pushing me onward with the prep. (I was totally over the prep work well before we stopped)

Particularly as the LHS had bits missing from the flaired guards (15 years being neglected in a shed) and these had to be re-formed - also several chunks out of the door edges ....etc... etc.

Thankyou everyone for your supportive and kind comments.

LoBelly
Old 12-31-2006, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell BB 429 (Sold) Contemporary Cobra CCX3682
Not Ranked     
Default Ghost Stripes?

Lobelly, the solid colour is great, however, if you choose to go stripes some time later, ghost stripes would look fantastic on yellow, even ghost flames if you wanted to be different . A shade or two darker would be the go. I had them on my first Cobra back in 88 in blue, it looked awsome. Great job on the preping by the way, looks like you did a fine job in the end!

Stef

Last edited by stefanog; 12-31-2006 at 10:21 PM..