Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. LS1, T56, Billy Cart
Not Ranked     
Default Progress and Situation update !!

It's been quite a while since I updated and a whole lotta stuff has been happening on the Cobra build, and for Pete and I on various aspects of life. I have been travelling a bit for work and have acquired a girlfriend.. Yipee .

So progress has been a bit slow on the car. :-)

Pete has been also been travelling (as I write this he is on a plane to Vancouver), and Christmas also happened (in case no one noticed)... Ouch my liver still hurts....

So, to the progress on the car.

I was not real keen on having a tailshaft, that could (but probably won't) let go under full noise right next my hip, so I made this tailshaft hoop. It will probably never be needed, but it was fun practicing my MIG and flap disk skills. Let's just say that my flap disk skills thankfully are way better that my MIG skills

Next was the fuel lines, and Motorsport connections now have a heap of my money

Then we had to fit the flashy radiator from PWR !! So PWR also have a heap of my money.

The body is on, and bit and pieces of "stuff" are starting to be fitted. Had to put the lights on (just so we could make blinka, blinka and stopping noises). Also fitted the steering column and seats, cause you need these to make the proper noises, whilst sitting and contolling a four wheel drift.

We have decided to go with a standard BF XR8 shifter as we both like it. It will need to be shortened and bent backwards a bit, but we will do that after rego.

(I can also flat shift 2nd to 3rd no probs, and the noises also keep up)

Now that the body is one, I am even more happy with the wheel choice. I know they are not traditional, but hey!!, we are not building a down the line replica.

After all, we are using a Cheby engine

So to the engine. We have a very old engine (2000) and it will not pass, as per Tenrocca's post about "engine choice" So our plan is to continue and use this engine as the template for all the work that needs to be done for fitting, with regard to the exhaust and other bolt up work.

Our initial plan at the start of this was to go for an LS2, and it may turn out that, that will be the case. However with the delay in progress, we may end up having to go with the GEN 6, LS23, by the time we get to rego.

In the meantime seeing as the current LS1, LS2 and the L76 are the same block, everything *should* bolt up when we change the engine. We are not going to wire this one in but do everything else we possibly can. Then when the times comes, off with body, in with the LS2 (or whichever engine) and off the engineer (we hope).

And we will have a completly rebuilt LS1 in the garage that *may* just get cracked open again and have some *little* modifications done.

Churchy

Last edited by Churchy; 01-20-2007 at 11:23 PM..
Old 01-20-2007, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Getting Close,

Churchy,
Looking good.

You know you could compete in this years nationals, I am sure like with Shelby fest, as long as your car passes scrutineering you can run.

You still have 7 months to make it track worthy, just use the LS1 you have now, dont need a windscreen and things like that.

You could probably use the go to whoa as the "break test"

Phil
Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Your right,

the wheels look great. I think the wheel supplier also has a heap of your money
Old 01-21-2007, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Nice work, love the braided lines and that PWR alloy radiator. Looks so good I want one! You wouldn't mind sharing how many $$$$ the alloy PWR baby cost, cause I know one little Cobra that would love one?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchy
It's been quite a while since I updated and a whole lotta stuff has been happening on the Cobra build, and for Pete and I on various aspects of life. I have been travelling a bit for work and have acquired a girlfriend.. Yipee .

So progress has been a bit slow on the car. :-)

Pete has been also been travelling (as I write this he is on a plane to Vancouver), and Christmas also happened (in case no one noticed)... Ouch my liver still hurts....

So, to the progress on the car.

I was not real keen on having a tailshaft, that could (but probably won't) let go under full noise right next my hip, so I made this tailshaft hoop. It will probably never be needed, but it was fun practicing my MIG and flap disk skills. Let's just say that my flap disk skills thankfully are way better that my MIG skills

Next was the fuel lines, and Motorsport connections now have a heap of my money

Then we had to fit the flashy radiator from PWR !! So PWR also have a heap of my money.

The body is on, and bit and pieces of "stuff" are starting to be fitted. Had to put the lights on (just so we could make blinka, blinka and stopping noises). Also fitted the steering column and seats, cause you need these to make the proper noises, whilst sitting and contolling a four wheel drift.

We have decided to go with a standard BF XR8 shifter as we both like it. It will need to be shortened and bent backwards a bit, but we will do that after rego.

(I can also flat shift 2nd to 3rd no probs, and the noises also keep up)

Now that the body is one, I am even more happy with the wheel choice. I know they are not traditional, but hey!!, we are not building a down the line replica.

After all, we are using a Cheby engine

So to the engine. We have a very old engine (2000) and it will not pass, as per Tenrocca's post about "engine choice" So our plan is to continue and use this engine as the template for all the work that needs to be done for fitting, with regard to the exhaust and other bolt up work.

Our initial plan at the start of this was to go for an LS2, and it may turn out that, that will be the case. However with the delay in progress, we may end up having to go with the GEN 6, LS23, by the time we get to rego.

In the meantime seeing as the current LS1, LS2 and the L76 are the same block, everything *should* bolt up when we change the engine. We are not going to wire this one in but do everything else we possibly can. Then when the times comes, off with body, in with the LS2 (or whichever engine) and off the engineer (we hope).

And we will have a completly rebuilt LS1 in the garage that *may* just get cracked open again and have some *little* modifications done.

Churchy
What sort of brakes have you got hidden under those towels ?
Old 01-21-2007, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rob,

Those Simmons wheels are hiding a set of 330 x 28, 4 pot Brembo's. We thought seeing as this thing will go pretty well, we also want it to stop pretty well ..
Old 01-21-2007, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival (CR3204) 6ltr s/c, T56 6spd
Not Ranked     

Looking good Churchy,
Looks like you will have that thing running in no time.
I too like your choice of wheels. Have you made a choice on body colour yet??

As the radiator will be one of my next purchases I would also like the low down on your alloy radiator if possible. Have you gone with the VN style radiator as per Ians manual or did PWR custom make it for you?? If so, do you have the specs etc.

All the best,
Luke......
Old 01-21-2007, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Churchy

really is coming along well. Love that red fuel tank, didn't go for the flashy big red "PWR" logo the twots put on mine Top radiator though.

Nice to see you at the Shelby Fest with the cobra complete in track condition.

Leeroy
Old 01-21-2007, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Luke,

Thanks.. Yep we have chosen the colour. Impulse Metallic (the SS Comodore Metallic Blue), with the "go fast" white stripes

We went with custom PWR radiator, and got the specs and advice of Leeroy, as he had also done this. We had version 1 drawing and had to cut off some of the shroud when we got it, as it fouled on the front part of the chassis.

Leeroy, no mate, we did not go for the PWR logo, however I did get the blue lights that go round the edge of the rad ..
Old 01-22-2007, 02:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Those wheels look great Churchy, good choice.

That XR8 gear lever looks the business as well. I'll have to pop down the Ford dealer and see if they will just sell the boot and trim ring.

Cheers

Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival (CR3204) 6ltr s/c, T56 6spd
Not Ranked     

Churchy,
Nice choice of body colour. Should look very schmick with those wheels.

Would it be possible to get a copy of the radiator drawing and a contact name from PWR?? My email is luke.gillett@BecaAMEC.com

Regards,
Luke....
Old 01-22-2007, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

If you do go to the Ford dealer and they do sell the boot ring and trim. Can you ask them how to get it off the actual knob. I have tried everything (except a grinder), and can not get the thing to move. We eventually want to knock about 25 mm of the length and rake it back about 20 or 30 degrees from it current position. To do this I will need to grind a weld off and re weld in the new position (not until after rego), however, I do not want to do any of that with the leather boot there and can not get the thing to move.

Luke, I will send you what I have. Just make sure that if you do go with the PWR, that you get the later version of the rad (without the flange on the front), and also make sure you mention *not* to put the PWR logo on it.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Howdy Churchy

I have a late model XR8 shift knob and boot on my (original) toploader shifter - winds right on

I got it for free from my brother who got it from his work because the method for undoing them sometimes wrecks the bit o' leather on the knob.

There is a lot (LOT) of locktite holding that knob down - mostly the mechanics resort to a big (BIG) pair of multi-grips and twist. Result is a loosened knob (natch), stuffed bit o' leather around the knob (mine has no leather and looks fine) and then everything pops off easily to be replaced at the end of whatever repair.

LoBelly
Old 01-24-2007, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Lookin' good Churchy.
Simmons wheels are a great choice.
Must get myself back into work mode!!!

Gav