Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     
Default CR Seat mountngs

Hi All,

I'm currently working on the seats in my Cobra. This has been a fun exercise trying to work out the ideal seating position for me.

I'm a bit of a funny shape with a long torso. In most Cobras I seem to be looking at the top of the windscreen frame from the drivers seat. The plan was to get myself as far down as possible in the car. There are a couple of factors working against me and the main one being the ADR requirement for adjustable seat rails.

I couldn't find any seats for the Cobra that I really liked. Price or style or shape/support put me off most of them. What I wanted out of the seats for my car was the lateral support given by a fiberglass race seat but with the clean looks of a low back with a seperate head rest. I didn't want to spend a fortune so it looks like I'll have to make or modify something.

I picked up a pair of new fiberglass race seats on ebay complete with the adjustable mounting rails. I got them for a bargain price of about $160 each shipped which I thought was cheap enough that if I bollox up modifying them it won't break the bank.

First thing to do was sort out mounting the rails. Back when I had the body off I made a couple of modds to the chassis to make life easier for someone working by them selves on the car. One of the mods was to drill out the threaded mounting for the inner front seat mounts and drill right through the chassis cross member. I then welded in a crush tube so I could bolt right through the rail. This might not make sense at first but it will later.

Here's a pic of the welded in crush tube. You will also notice the boss welded on for the battery strap to bolt to.

Later with the body on and bolted down you can see the core mat in the floor that gives it it's strength without adding too much weight. Normally the seat rails are just bolted down straight through the floor and onto the chassis. The floor with it's core mat is very strong and resists bending but it can be easily crushed by bolting through it. I decided to drill the holes through the floor out to 22mm with an arbour I made tha uses the hole in the chassis as a guide. I then machined up some bushes that limit how far the bolt can be tightened down. They clamp the floor to the chassis but not so tightly that the core mat gets crushed.

I also machined them with a 3mm lip that raises the rail slightly off the floor. This is to help keep the rail clear of the carpet (when it's finally fitted) and also to clear the edge of the door lock post there it's bonded to the floor. The rail was hitting on the edge of it and not running all the way back.

Here are two of the bushes fitted and the rail ready to bolt down. The long bolt at the front is the one that goes right through the cross member.

Now the reason for putting the crush tube in will be clearer after looking at this pic. I used hex bolts and their heads are locked in and can't rotate because of the channel in the rail where they run through. This lets me spin the nut on from underneath without needing anyone to hold the head of the bolt from inside the car. It also lets me unbolt the whole seat and remove it by just undoing 4 nuts from under the car and without dismantling the seat. Having the seat as low as possible means no clearance to get your hand underneath it.

One of the things I like about the fiberglass seats is that there is only 25mm of foam and 5mm of fiberglass keeping your bum off the floor. This is about as low down as I can sit with the adjustable rails in place.

The fiberglass seat stripped of it's covering got some attention from the jigsaw and was rapidly turned into a low back seat. All that remains to do now is bend up a tubuar top rail to add some strenght in the back and support the head rest mounting. This will get fiberglassed in and the whole thing will probably get another couple of layers of mat inside it to stiffen it up. Then they are off to the trimmer to get some red leather wrapped around them.

The seating position is good with plenty of leg room. The seats really support you but are surprisingly comfortable even with just the foam squabs dropped in. They should provide heaps of support for track days. I reckon the only way you would feel more secure and supported is if you lined them with velcro and wore fury pants. Those of a more hairy persuasion could probably wear no pants.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 02-04-2007 at 03:46 AM..
Old 02-04-2007, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default No Pants for me.

Excellent work Mike.

Phil
Old 02-04-2007, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Nice Job ! I tack welded the nuts inside the tracks then screwed in pointed ended studs to help locate the holes when fitting the seats. I then removed the studs one at a time and replaced them with button head allen screws. The amount of bolt hanging under the floor is only the round head leaving no chance of damaging or fouling exposed threads.
Smithy,
Old 02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Good idea using bolts up through the floor Rob. It's pretty hard to round off a cap screw so you cant undo it. I'm a fan of button head cap screws as they have a nice rounded edge that doesn't catch on things.

On my chassis all of the seat mounting holes are well away from the ground. The body tub sits on top of the chassis and The seats bolt through to the C section chassis cross members.

Cheers

Old 02-04-2007, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Great stuff mike. You can move up here anytime you want.

Without trying to hijack Mikes thread has any-one seen or sat in the VELO cobra seat thats advertised in snaketales?

Cheers
Old 02-04-2007, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Great work Mike, the crush tubes are a fantastic idea. Ill be using those on my seats.

Regards Mando.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Smooth work as always Mikey.
Are you doing anything with the sills while you are at it?