Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Arcs n Splashes

G'day Gang

I have a couple of questions related to where I am at in the build, I'm keen to get feedback on please.

Looking at batteries and noted a previous post on Odyssey batteries. Typical sheltered life, had never heard of them until then, of course look them up and they seem to be the bee's knees. Are they a really good battery?

Whilst buying speedflow fittings I noticed Odyssey brochure's in the shop so have studied this and compared standard batteries in the auto shops. Clearly odyssey pack a punch for their size but am curious what is suggested to turn over a std 5L AU donk.

I was considering the ES12V650, 650 amps 245 CCA, is this enough? I want to make the battery fit into the rear passenger corner of the boot hence size might be an issue. What's suggested?

One item I've picked up in a long slog around the recent Ballarat swap meet, am told its about a 14km hike and it did take me 8 hours to walk and look, was a thermo fan thermostat.

The crappy diagram inside is hard to read but am assuming the thermo couple is inserted between the top radiator hose and radiator inlet neck. Does the thermo couple get pushed further into the top area of the radiator or does it just need to sit inside the inlet neck?

Where is the hottest point in the radiator system? Any tricks with these thermostats?

Look forward to comments and hope to post progress picks soon.

Cheers
Old 03-08-2007, 01:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

G'day Steve,

I used an Optima Battery and put it up on the shelf behind the cockpit. It apparently has around 950 CCA (which is bloody heaps), and as a bonus has side posts which may come in handy at some stage.
There is a picture in my gallery.
This Battery was not cheap ($300) but I think it will prove itself in the long run.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Seven years ago I bought the biggest battery Motorcraft had 1000 CCA w/ 60 mos warrenty. Never had a problem with starting in the heat or cold. Cost me $65 then and when I replaced it I spent last spring I spent $89. On this side of the pond I bought mine at O'Reilly's.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Slowy

I got the ES12V1000 (600CCA rating) which works great and cranks everytime without hesitation. The ES12V650 is rated a lot less so cannot comment on it cranking ability, not sure of cost difference but its a comforting thought that your battery is not going to give in when motor is not starting well or its stinking hot after possible track work. Think I paid about $350 for mine.

Leeroy
Old 03-08-2007, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, seems I need to aim for about 900CCA is that right?

Anyone care to comment on location needs of the thermo fan thermostat thermocouple - say that 10 times quickly!!

Am keen to tighten up the hose clamps and get this front bit of the coolant system signed off.

Actually on that, can anybody suggest a simple way for me to locate and fix my 38mm diameter s/steel tube I have used to connect between radiator hoses.

Am thinking if I locate upper and lower tubes in at least one place, vibration, rotating parts and any other malfunctions shouldn't cause a green spillage!

How have others fixed their steel tubes?

Cheers
Old 03-10-2007, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I've heard of oddessy batterys' plates breaking away from the posts...expensive battery turns into expensive door stop. I have a red optima . it can sit 12 months without a charger attached and start the 351 cleveland several times. They were designed this way for US hotrods etc where they wait out snow seasons. A mate replaced his broken oddessy with a deep cycle Optima it's 1.2 kg heaver than my "starter only" Optima.
Smithy.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

I am thinking of getting one of those carbon fibre batteries that was mentioned on here a couple of months ago.

Ben
Old 03-12-2007, 12:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

I don't think you "need" anywhere near 900CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). As an example, I used to run a N70Z (13 plate truck/4wd battery) in the boot of the Torana and it had 550CCA. This battery would turn over the high compression "nasty" motor for what seemed like ever because it was a large battery with good reserve capacity.

A small 450CCA battery will start your engine just as well as a large 450CCA battery will, there is a but though. If your engine has a problem and needs to turn over many times to start, the small battery will "run out of steam" well before the large battery....