Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-18-2007, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Gen 111 Motor Questions

What intake filters have been deemed legal in Queensland on Gen111 (LS1/2 or L76) type motors in cobras ?.
I see in the LS1 Forum the general concensus is pod type filters are deemed illegal in Queensland. I persume this is because they are a mod to the car and would require an engineers report to pass. In a cobra if the engineer is OK with a pod filter can he pass it. Would it not change the emmissions and therefore be illegal.

Also is anyone running a Gen 111 without both the A/C motor and power steering pump and if so what have you done with the serpentine layout?.
I like the way the Corvettes have the alternator mounted where the Power steering pump is.
Thanks
Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Theoretically, the only legal filter is the original one fitted to the original airbox....
Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Totally agree with Plums.

The L76 I have will be installed with the original air filter as fitted to the VZ. Being overly cautious I'm also going to use the Standard exhaust manifolds.

On the very day it's registered and I have the plates it will come apart for " re-engineering."
Old 04-22-2007, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Macloft,

I made up a plate and stub and used the std idler pulley to replace the PS pulley. The plate bolts to the 4 threaded holes in the end of the cylinder head. Different length serpentine belts are easily found.

I have just changed mine to PS so have the special plate and pulley available if you are interested.

Regards,
Phil
Old 04-22-2007, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My engineer tells me the pod filter is ok, I do need the MAF installed however (he somehow believes I also will remove it later).So I will mount the MAF straight onto the throttle body and using tubing like AUSSIE MIKE I will mount the pod filter (SS Inductions) somewhere in a ducted cold air stream. Most likely use the front side vents using a part similar to Finish line.
I will use Phil Neals suggestion for the idler pulley.
Thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

This plate on the cylinder head your talking about Phil, does it use the spring loaded tensioner?

I might be keen to buy the old belt system from you, if Macloft doesnt want it.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Boxhead,

I just used the pulley and machined up a spigot to adapt it to the plate. The tensioned pulley is still retained in the original position. I'll send you a photo f the unit later in the week

Regards,

Phil
Old 04-23-2007, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

Macloft
Just keep in mind that pod filters can create a lot of induction noise and can make you fail your noise test.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Thanks for that Phil

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil I did send you an email (did you get it)
Hi Craig I talked to the engineer about the induction noise as I am concerned about this as well. He said the exhaust is a much bigger issue and he has not had a problem with a pod filter failing the noise test.
Thanks
Bruce
Old 06-16-2007, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I now have a piece of P Neall car (thanks Phil) mounted on my engine and I have a K&N Pod filter.
Can I mount the MAF (using a short rubber hose) directly onto the throttle body?. I have been told the MAF may not work if I do this. I will discard it straight after I have it on the road. My engineer said it needs the MAF for the engineers report. Maybe I just put it on but disable it in the computer. How have you other LS1 guys gone about this?.
I am going to stick the K&N filter slightly into the wheel well with a deflector from the front side air vent pointing at the pod filter.
Thanks
Bruce
Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

PODS ? How come everything now is a Pod. Air Pods, i-pods, truck pods ,carpods. What happened to plain old air cleaners ? I had a young bloke ask me what sort of POD I had in my car and I told him I had a High flow air cleaner and he didn't know what that was. I explained it to him and he said a pod was "cooler". I told him ..If you put an I-Pod in the air pod his car will sound "cooler"....I'm waiting for a reply. :P
Old 06-16-2007, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It seems pods are popular with Cobra builds. This surprises me as I would have thought that with a build, you have more opportunity to custom a setup which takes advantage of cold air via a direct air induction system venting air from outside the hot engine bay? (That is, unless the pod is sealed.)

I have seen Cobras with a stainless steel airbox leading straight into the TB and I thought this set up looked the most effective.

PS. No offence to anyone with Pods, Im just a bit confused.

Last edited by HSVREDSLED; 06-16-2007 at 07:59 PM..
Old 06-16-2007, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Don't be confused, just look at how little room you have to work with in the engine bay to get even a standard filter box to fit.

My engineer confirmed pods are legal but you do need the standard MAF etc to be able to claim emissions compliance per the standard donor vehicle.

I've mounted my pod on the end of the standard hose connection from the AU that then mates into my MAF so that I also use the standard sensors. The pod is tucked into the area in front of the passenger footwell pointing out at the side air vent to maximise cool air suction.

Someone has a post here showing a very nice plenum atop the motor that seals on the bonnet scoop when the bonnet is down. Very long term that might be my preferred style.

For now its cheap and cheerful and legal for the engineer!!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Stephen, who's your engineer? I'm in Melbourne too.

Last edited by sambo; 06-17-2007 at 05:06 AM..
Old 06-17-2007, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

I'm using Enkelmans, the same mob Aussie Mike and few others have over the years. They are located in Braeside, and as Mike alluded to in another thread, through Colin Young they had done a lot of cobras. I've seen two cobras in their factory over sporadic visits since last year.

Spoke with the fellow I am dealing with and he said they'd just got a GT40 in to engineer. He was excited, something different from a cobra. Or a concrete pumping truck!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: