Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default No smoke has escaped yet!

Read a great article some time back talking about the theory that all electrics work really well if you can just keep all the smoke contained inside the wires.

My sparky has been doing a great job and I haven't seen any smoke yet so must be all good. As the theory says when the smoke gets out you have a problem!!??

Pics below show the lectrics nearly done and I'm hanging out to turn the criter over in ernest. One maybe two more weekends and I should be able to make some real noise. Have been using the starter to move some oil around in preparation.

Pics show the under dash state of affairs where I have used the EZ wiring loom system.

Attachment 12958

Attachment 12959

Attachment 12960

Attachment 12961

Attachment 12962

Also show boot battery and cut off switch set up.

Cheers

Last edited by stephen low; 08-27-2008 at 02:31 AM..
Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

That's very neat

Keep up the good work Stephen
(the clock keeps ticking)

LoBelly
Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default Smoke

Very nice work. Most will not understand the theory of British electronics, that evidently carrys over to the Australia colony . But if it is British or influenced by them, the thoery definately becomes a working force. If the smoke escapes...ALL IS LOST!!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #42 BDR w/ a 408 KCM stroker
Not Ranked     

yea the smoke comment has me lost but I guess it was before my time
2004 BDR #42 with a 408 Keith Craft Stroker, Crimson with Silver stripes
Old 06-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

a primer...

http://www.peizhang.com/forfun/forfu...ings_smoke.htm
Old 06-25-2007, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default smoke

most won't even get the Joseph L. reference....it will be a 'so who's J Lucas"?
you have to have had a csx, xke and have an AK to understand. Helps if you had friends with MGs, MGBs,Triumphs etc.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. LS1, T56, Billy Cart
Not Ranked     

Stephen,

That is the best way I have ever heard electrical wiring described. I am an electrician by trade, and we always joke about a new install passing "the smoke test".....

When you hit the big "on" switch, if nothing goes bang, or fries, then it is probably gonna be OK, and will run for years, if not then you have to rewire it

The concept of actually keeping the smoke in side the wires is brilliant !! Can I use that line. I'll pay royalties ..
Old 06-26-2007, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks all guys

Churchy happy to take all the royalties you send. I'll just plow them back into the cobra anyway! As you can see good old plagerism is alive and well.

Tick tock tick tock

Typical of you Michael to know even where to find that reference - buggered if I could remember it even after a few months, but maybe it was longer - perhaps its that old timers setting in! I'll have to re-read this, I know I laughed silly the first time.

So I hope you are now in the know FST Fox - ya gotta think outside the square - occassionally! But for the record, it was before my time too!

JBo - evidently we colonials are deported sons of rapists, thieves or other general no gooders so yes it carries over but it helps if one is born there too!!

Anyway, my sparky hails from Sunbury for most of you good cobra folk located on the wrong side of Melbourne and the work looked neat to me but best of all I believe his hourly rate is very cheap. Not sure if that is a special because of the linkages through which I made this contact but I am happy with the work.

Happy to put anyone onto him if you like. He does race cars and specials including race boats so is versed in HiPo needs. He wired Eric Banner's race car, the one currently defunked due to losing an altercation with a tree in the last TT. He's been full of good ideas despite not having specifically wired up a cobra before.

I guess the real test will be when I get my moded computer back and he has to finish wiring the engine bay to achieve an engine start. But I don't expect problems.

Cheers and thanks for the comments - I press on
Old 06-29-2007, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

The line about the smoke getting out is about electronic components. When something goes wrong a little wisp of smoke comes out of one particular item and then it "don't work no more". So for an excuse....."The smoke got out !"
Old 06-29-2007, 04:57 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Just remember, it is magic smoke and can not be put back in after you let it out. You will need to visit the EE after you let it out.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No no Trularin, just let the car sit there for a while and the head lights will continue to adsorb the darkness and in doing so re-create smoke and hence re-energise the system.

Of course where the smoke escaped in the first place has been self cauterised by the very fast velocity of smoke escaping the system, and so there will be no more leaks at that point.

Bloody marvellous!
Old 06-29-2007, 05:57 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I figured the Aussies would get around the magic smoke.

The headlights don't put the smoke back in.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

trularin

You haven't read your theory yet, JL says....

"If, as you say, light bulbs suck up darkness and convert it to smoke which is transmitted (via wire) to a power source for recycling."

The battery is only a bulk pressurised smoke container, it is the darkness adsorbing head lights that convert the dark back into smoke that keep the whole system energised.

Didn't you get to the Lucas 101 classes?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Possessing pretty much no knowledge of electrical systems I now feel fully qualified to tackle the "Midnight Cobra Wiring Mission".