Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default That Aussie Mike grin

G'day All

As it says I've got that same video'ed grin Mike had when he started his car.

Haven't got some footage to show yet, will need to work on that but the car runs - woo hoo!!!

Had a little coolant accident so once that's fixed, I can have another go but otherwise all is very good in my little shed.

Did also manage to measure the noise output at about all the right settings. So how does one loose 3 - 4 dB to make it to the magic 90?

I've already had thoughts of something inside the exhaust pipe prior to the mufflers at the rear. Would that do and what do I need?

Seems my on/off issue was computer related in that the flashed program didn't stick first time. And with no security enabled in the AU box now my non-ford ignition works a treat.

Will work on that footage in the near future.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Excellent news Steve, well done.... even if it is a Ford

Looks like you're on track for rego before the end of the year......
Old 07-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default silent like a lamb ?

Well done Stephen

Getting the engine going is such a rush - you'll be really fired up now (just as well - only 5 months left)

I once got through a noise test by stuffing the exhaust pipe before the muffler with fibreglass (woven)

Attempts with that random mat stuff just had it disintegrate and blow out.
Recently my nephew used steel wool packed tight - had the advantage of burning out after about a week so he didn't have to go in to get it out again (don't do this in fire season)

Looking forward to the video

LoBelly
Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival (CR3204) 6ltr s/c, T56 6spd
Not Ranked     

Congrats Stephen,
You're on the home straight now!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Well done Stephen! When's the next shed day?

I've heard that chicken wire does the trick, plus it won't disintegrate like some other materials.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default cool

Steve,

Well done, I hope I have the same feeling/smile when the Daytona
is born..

STIFFY
Old 07-18-2007, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys

It can be all up hill from here as far as I am concerned, I'll just put it in first and crawl there!!!

Michael

How much noise reduction did your nephew achieve and with how much steel wool? Any further info would be good.

Cheers all
Old 07-18-2007, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Slowy, That's excellent news. Firing that motor the first time gives you a huge shot of motorvation. Looking forward to seeing your cheesy grin.

Rather than steel wool use stainless pot scrubbers. They have a more open structure and naturally form into a ball that can be poked up the exhaust pipe. Being stainless they wont rust or break down in a hurry. Bi-Lo has them cheap at about 60c each from memory. 3 or 4 up each side should quiet things down.

Cheers

Old 07-18-2007, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for that Mike. Are you suggesting poking up from the open end?

If so I have a problem there in that the exhaust tips have been fabricated from a cut up part of a radiused exhaust section. These tips exit the muffler at the rear and curve down and are simply cut off parallel with the ground part way through the curve radius. In other words I have no pipe length to speak of after the mufflers.

I had planned to open the system in front of the mufflers and pack the exhaust pipe. It means I have to open up before and after engineering but also means it won't be spotted.

I presume this will achieve the same end Mike?

Will it affect performance such that it might cause notice or comment? And yer yer before the peanut gallery fires up, it is a ford donk.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low

Will it affect performance such that it might cause notice or comment? And yer yer before the peanut gallery fires up, it is a ford donk.

Cheers
Damn, you are right onto us!!!

I reckon your idea of pulling the system apart to insert the spiral stainless scrubbers is the best option. As you say, it will be hidden and nobody will know.

I'm not sure and this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't go flogging the thing too hard till after the inspection, just in case the "thingos" fly out the tailpipe... (I have not experienced this so I am just guessing, hence it is just my opinion)
Old 07-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

When I used the fibreglass I did so on the suggestion of the mechanic that was to do the RWC

I took the short route and stuffed them up the end and then while driving put my foot down to get through a set of lights. The auto kicked down and soon after my lusty exhaust note was restored.

Thus the suggestion to pack somewhere before the muffler.

And it will make your engine wheeze - sounds sickening really - close your ears and think of VIN #'s

LoBelly
Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

That's what I was thinking... debris coming through your muffler and getting trapped could be a problem.

Would it be difficult to grab a couple of old factory mufflers from the wrecker and use those for rego? Something much quieter than what I assume you have fitted, eg, a performance system.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Yep, this is the way to go.

Just don't get the detergent impregnated ones otherwise you'll be blowing bubbles.

Mind you a ford.........nahhhhh....don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike
Congratulations Slowy, That's excellent news. Firing that motor the first time gives you a huge shot of motorvation. Looking forward to seeing your cheesy grin.

Rather than steel wool use stainless pot scrubbers. They have a more open structure and naturally form into a ball that can be poked up the exhaust pipe. Being stainless they wont rust or break down in a hurry. Bi-Lo has them cheap at about 60c each from memory. 3 or 4 up each side should quiet things down.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

I used a couple of the stanless steel pads just like Mike has said, I pout them in the tail pipe just enough so you can not see them drill a hole in the pipe and screwed in a stainless self tapper to hold them in.

Worked fine, passed the noise test first go.

Phil
Old 07-19-2007, 01:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Stephen

Well done mate. That first fire up is always great. Not to mention that wonderful smell of baking paint and exhaust - like a drug...

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 07-19-2007, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Aussie Mike

Think I put 24 of the pot scrubbers up each side and still managed 105dB..

It was all the perforations and re direction of gas that helped. The perforated cones worked well also. Down to 95db - just..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 07-19-2007, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

2 and half metres of chook wire stffed in to an inch and 3/4 single system shut mine up nicly. wouldn't rev over 5 grand, but it got the tick.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jason

I think I like the idea of 4 pot scrubbers per side over the chook wire.

How did you manage to get that lot in? Struth!!