Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 08-07-2007, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     
Default Spring and shocker options

I'm looking at options for springs and shocks for my Harrison. I know there are several threads on various shock/spring questions but I couldn't find many in reference to the Harrison.

Has anyone used QA1 coilovers from the States? They look impressive in the brochure but I'm interested to hear how they perform, are they well supported locally, are they easily serviced, etc?

I'm waiting on exact pricing but a retailer of AVO and QA1 in Sydney said they're in the same ballpark for single adjustable units. So far the recommended AVOs come in at around $1300 for the four, with springs at around $400.

Any other suggestions? The Harrison is designed for 15" and 16" extended height shocks for front and rear respectively. Spring rates are suggested at 350/250lbs front/rear.

Many thanks,
Paul
Old 08-07-2007, 02:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Hi Sambo, I have QA1's (proma stars) on mine. They bounce up and down and dont rust - and thats about all I can tell about their performance at this stage. Im pretty sure Bernie has these on his too. Careful with the lengths as From memory they go from 10-14" (open\ closed) to 11.5-17", which may not be compatable with your specified lengths. I got mine from a mob in the US - I think about $800 delivered, but with the dollar should be better then that now.

Cheers.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Peter Ransom had near new shocks on his GT40 at the nationals and a rear one failed, I'm sure they were QA1's. Might be just bad luck, bad considering the amount of Cobra's & GT40's that are fitted with AVO's, haven't heard of an AVO failing. The only downside of AVO's is that they fit cheap steel on steel spherical joints which don't last that long. Should be Teflon lined. Not a problem if you use bushed shocks, which I expect most people do.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tenrocca - that looks the business!

Yeah Warwick said to go with spherical joints on the back and nolathane in the front, maybe because they wear faster on the front?

Apparently the supplier of AVOs out of the UK are difficult to deal with - anyway according to one retailer I spoke to. I'm guessing the AUD is doing better against the USD than the pound, so QA1s might be better value out of the States.

Keep the recommendations coming guys...
Old 08-07-2007, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo
Yeah Warwick said to go with spherical joints on the back and nolathane in the front, maybe because they wear faster on the front?
It will be the angle the shock mounts at. Would flog out bushes really quickly, that's why they use Spherical Joints. We used Speherical Jointed AVO's front & back on our Harrison just because there is less play/give. The AVO oem sphericals have already been replaced by teflon lined units as they had worn out.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Craig. Where did you source those teflon lined replacements?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT
.... haven't heard of an AVO failing.
I think cobra.au had an AVO go, and Phil and Karen had a dud too. There are a lot of AVO's out there though, and are probably a more proven product.

I got the QA1's mainly as I could get an alloy body shock a lot less then I could buy the steel AVO's. They do take a slightly smaller spring - I think its 63mm (2.5") as opposed to AVO's which take a 65mm ID.

Sambo - you would nearly be the record holder for the most number of posts pre-delivery of your car. You have it bad my son, there is no cure.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah sorry to annoy everyone with all the questions. Once she arrives there's only so many spare hours to work on it and I want to be productive!

And it arrives tomorrow or Thursday...
Old 08-07-2007, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Questions are what drives this board, and everyone learns - no need to apologise.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo
Yeah sorry to annoy everyone with all the questions. Once she arrives there's only so many spare hours to work on it and I want to be productive!

And it arrives tomorrow or Thursday...
Sambo, given the quality of some of the build manuals I think you'll get more asking questions here than reading a manual.

Harrison is a good build tho......if you're lost just call Warwick. Warwick's the sort of fella that if he hasn't heard from you he starts to worry.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was typing up the exact same question. I have looked at QA1 and Billstein (which seems to be popular in the USA) also AFCO is another. I keep coming back to how important (and difficult) it is to set up the suspension properly and Warwick has alot of experience with AVOs and King Springs. My current thinking is to stay with his recommendations and therefore help when I need it.
Bruce
Old 08-07-2007, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah true that. I know Warwick's approachable but I don't want to be pulling him away from the 'real' work all the time, when maybe someone here has already done it... or done it differently or perhaps even better. So many ways to skin a cat as they say. Plus I sit on a computer at work all day and it's easier to pass this off as work, as opposed to being on the phone!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wonder if anyone has used anything other than AVO's on Harrisons. Up here we are certainly deep AVO country, don't know anyone that have used QA1's, although you would expect to find someone by now.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Just to re-inforce my love of pommy stuff like Jag diffs etc., I'm using SPAX.

Doesn't help you at all does it.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hafco and qa1 are the same parent company - my springs are actually branded "QA1\HAFCO"....
Old 08-07-2007, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default What to do.

As Andrew has said we have had an AVO go on us, well actually we have had them all rebuilt and the bearings replaced.

I have done some home work on what to do with these and have spoken to some of you guys on the phone about this issue.

For springs I recomend Eibach springs, very good quality and not much more than King springs.

Shocks are a real dilema, the AVOs or QA1s are the best value shock arround they do the job nicely but in my experience they do not last long and when I had them rebuilt one was buggered and the others were working at very different rates.

Koni make a shock that would be the ideal,

http://www.koni.com/index.php?id=160

However here is the dilema, they are $900.00ea

They are double adjustable etc etc. The people who have them love them however I cannot justify this expense as it is only been 6 months since I started checking tyre pressures when we have a run on the track, never mind double adjustable shocks.

Phil
Old 08-07-2007, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by macloft
also AFCO is another.
Hey, I just bought an AFCO aluminium radiator. That's 2nd Cobra I've bought an Afco for. Does that help.

Oh, you meant Hafco. My bad.

Rebel1, nothing wrong with Spax in my book either.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil, how many kms before they had to be rebuilt? Do you think it was a QC issue or are they generally going to wear out quicker than other brands?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig, I love the Spax.....only one thing wrong with them.....very special sized springs.....like 57mm.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default It is a hard life.

Sambo,
They have probably done about 8000kms.

I was a bit disappointed but the positive is that they are fully rebuildable.

Shock reco do a full rebuild for about $80.00 each, that is new seals clean etc. One of the valve bodys were buggered and only beause I had a spare shock I was able to make 4 good ones out of 5.

I had actually bent a shaft and had to replace it with a whole new shock.

Phil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: