Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush fibreglass
Not Ranked     
Default Brake Pipes

I'm putting in an ABS brake system from a Commodore VZ. I asked my local brake experts to make up some pipes, they gave me copper pipes which I installed.

Another brake expert came over to bleed the ABS valves and refused to do the work because he said copper pipes are illegal on ABS. My engineer also says they should be steel.

The people who sold me the copper pipes are adamant that copper is OK - "ask the RTA" they say. They say 90% of the pipes they sell are copper.

(I note that the original pipes are steel but assumed this was on economic gropunds)

Who is correct? Whay do people here use?

Its been a much harder job putting in the pipes now everything else is in, now I have a pile of copper tubing - anyone know how to make a whiskey still!

Martin
Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Gday Martin - I know my comprehensie build manual states not to use copper pipe for brake lines as it can become brittle over time. Going from that and what the brake guys have said I would probably suggest steel and make that "still" with your left over copper!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Copper tube is not allowed in the states either. It is too soft in terms of abrasion resistance. Copper tubing work-hardens and becomes very brittle especially at the flare. The British have developed what they call "copper brake pipe", which seems to be a seamless tube but it is made of a copper alloy but again not as good as what can be purchased today. Use good old Bundy Tubing with the proper flare and fittings to CYA.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

What you have been sold is copper coated steel pipe or bundy tube.
Very common, I'm surprised that the second brake expert didn't know what it was.
I have used it and had no problem.

Gav
Old 08-18-2007, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Check it with a magnet---all I use is stainless steel aircraft tube and in areas of possible contact with other objects use a stainless coil spring type guard over the tube before flaring

Jerry
Old 08-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

As a side note copper alloys have better corrosion protection than zinc, cad etc... and corrosion is the #1 failure of brake systems. The big NO NO is pure copper tubing like refrigeration tube or the hardware store stuff and the visual difference makes it tough to tell apart. Second most common failure is cracking / breaking of tube.
I would think a copper alloy coated tube would be great and as mentioned a magnet would identify the presence of steel under coating. In this world of extreme liabilities and SUE happy world I too would back off from what looked like pure copper tubing. The alloy products designed for brake systems are not magnetic and would give me no way to tell from refrigeration tubing so I would also refuse to work on the system just because of liability. Maybe not fair but you must protect yourself anymore.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

If it is a straight copper pipe then you will not get a roadworthy certificate with them fitted.
Not sure about other states but they are ilegal in the NT

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush fibreglass
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, great information.

They are non magnetic and appear to be copper all the way through when sawn. They also bend more easily than the steel so I guess that says something about their strength.

I have replaced them and am happier in my own mind, did a better job second time around too!
Old 08-18-2007, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by martrogers
........ did a better job second time around too!

I dont think there is a builder in here that cant relate to that!!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     
Default Brake pipe

A bit late but I used 3/16" Copper Nickle tube. It's a steel alloy that is ADR approved along with Bundy tube. Beautiful to work with, Comes in a 7.6mtr coil and can be straightened easily. It looks like copper but it's magnetic and cuts like steel and double flares without problems.
The bundy tube is lately in conflict with OH&S as there is lead in the galvanising. There is an Indian made Bundy tube product. It has a green colour to it and it is very hard thus hard to work with.
Smithy

Last edited by Rob. Smith; 08-21-2007 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: left out a bit of info
Old 08-21-2007, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Rob, where do we buy this copper nickel tube from mate? I'm about to attack my brakes in the coming weeks.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 08-23-2007, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

G'day Sambo,
I bought it from a mob called Stopmaster Brakes. The man to talk to is Tyrone. He is a walking "brake encyclopedia". Show him a part and he will tell you what it is off and it's part number, if it's available and if not, what will replace it. He's good ! He may be able to tell you where you can get it in Vic.
His number is 02 4943 7222 His fax is 02 49439500
Stopmaster might be big enough to be in Victoria......Good luck !
Smithy
Old 08-23-2007, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Damn... I forgot again...The Copper Nickle is NOT magnetic as I said before.
Sorry about the miss-information. All other info is correct.
Smithy
Old 08-23-2007, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Thanks Rob! I'll try him tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

I'm about to start making up the brake lines while the car is on the rotisserie. A 'search' threw up this thread but I wonder if there are more up-to-date thoughts about which material I should use to make the hard lines.

My thoughts are to temporarily fit the lines and then take it to a brake shop to have the fittings attached. I see it as something of a one-off exercise and figure I could have the fitting done for less than buying a decent flaring tool. Thanks
Old 04-05-2013, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

I went with zinc plated steel for mine. Got the parts from summit.
If you plan to get a shop to flare the pipe, talk to them about what you can use. I really wanted to use stainless for mine, but flaring was too much of an issue without very high quality tool.
I flared mine myself with a cheapish tool. Haven't charged it yet so don't know how well it's worked but flares look ok.
Don't forget to check with engineer for clip spacing.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Peter, I am happy to mail my flaring kit over to you if you want to borrow it.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The trouble with stainless is that it work hardens and the flare face is exceptionally hard....thus it takes excessive force to "seat" the flare to the fitting..the bundy tube and zink coated stuff are soft enough to mould and comply with the flare fittingface....therefore not needing a great force to seat. I might be wrong but stainless can only be flared once...a double flare is not possible as it becomes too hard and cracks. That's what I found when making hydraulic lines for a power tilt on an outboard. The stainless looked fantastic all polished up but leaked at nearly every joint. I fixed it with soft copper "washers" but this was just a tilt drive not a brake line that your life depends on.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The bundy tube is available in Australia and has a copper bronze look about it.....Go to a large name brake supplier....if they don't have it. Go somewhere else.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I used bundy but it does not have a copper look to it, it looks like steel and if anything looks (maybe) like zinc coated. I bought the K-tool flaring tool from Summit and it works fantastic, would not hesitate to buy it again, it is one of the best tools I have ever purchased.

I was concerned, having seen it on other Cobras, about the pipes getting a corroded look over time, so after completing flaring etc I taped over the ends and painted the pipes with spray epoxy enamel. I used stainless flare nuts and taped them over so they did not get painted, this took two passes with paint/tape and moving the flare nuts to get all the pipe painted (except for the flar itself which I left unpainted).

I read somewhere that annealed stainless is workable to flare, and I'm sure there are people on here that have done pipes in stainless.