Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default new member with an old question

Hi

i am new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions regarding cobra's etc.

I am based just outside of perth WA and have ordered a cobra from g-force in perth and still in the "selecting things" phase trying to get past the information overload trying to work out which engine etc to use.

At the moment i reckon i will probably use a LS2 gen4 and was wondering what everybodies opinions are of this motor. Also could anybody recomend good suppliers for engines/parts? I have done some inital enquiries around and the prices that have come back range from $9800 up to $14000, just for a crate engine (which seems a 'little' high). Thats not even including all the additional things like ecu, loom, alternator etc. Or the transmission.

Is it a viable prospect to use a recon/wrecker engine instead? After rebuilding/reconditioning a used engine does it work out much cheaper than a brand new crate engine? Are there things i should watch out for?

thanks
Old 08-19-2007, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Parts sources

A good option would be to source a suitable wrecked donor vehicle to scrounge as much parts off it as you need.

Obviously you need to be able to afford the up front cost for a wreck but if you work hard to fit / modify parts to fit the cobra, it can end up being a far cheaper build proposition.

A GF builder near me has used a 2004 SS ute and has made a lot of parts fit including fuel tank, wiring loom etc. Not sure with the ADR's what GM motor choice and hence model you can use, but I'm sure some one else will chime in on this.

He has sold off a lot of parts that just can't be used and has made the overall cost quite cheap. I think he is around $5k range, which is very cheap for engine/box/loom and then all the supporting paraphanalia.

Talk with Plums (Bobby) off this forum. He's a WA GF builder too who is into LS gear and can certainly help you!

Cheers and happy building.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Hello jbanks, welcome.

There are a couple of retailers here in Victoria doing L76 engine packages with all the bits to get started for around $10,000. Try W.A.S.P. in Ballarat on 03 5339 9333 and ask for Stewart. They include an ECU remap which knocks out airbag and security checks in the computer and adds more power. Includes starter, alternator, brackets, looms, belts, etc.

The L76 is Holden's variant of the LS2 that you mentioned... same displacement, same bottom end but with smaller cam, different heads - to name a few things. Basically its 30kw down on power but has potential to make the same power as the LS2 with minimal mods.

Then add about $3000 for a T56 6-speed manual, but avoid the Holden clutch and go for a Textralia brand (made in Oz). There will be lots of other little things like clutch hydraulics, crossmembers, etc. But plenty of guys here will vouch for the L76/LS2 + T56 setup and the main thing is that G-Force know this in advance so that the engine mounts etc are located in the right position.

Regarding secondhand, there are not too many wrecked late model vehicles around so it depends largely on luck. Maybe you know someone who works for a wrecker or insurance company... that would certainly help.

Good luck with your decision!

Paul
Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Speak to Stuart

jbanks,

Check out the tread on the Daytona "It fits" I purchased the whole lot
from Stuart, great deal ALL that you need and its new No dirty hands yet .

Mine was around $15k Delivered to Victoria, very hard to beat and you dont have to worry about the built time as its the most recent varient of the 350 available.

Good Luck,

STIFFY
Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks for the quick replies.

Sorry i just want to get this clear in my mind, so other than just a bit less power the L76 is very similar to the LS2?

And regarding the transmission, what is the differences between the 3550 and T56?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Let's just say the L76 is a lot closer to the LS2 than the LS1.

A few guys on this forum with L76 engines will no doubt chime in soon and give you a better answer... most of them decided that the same power could be made from an L76 with several $1000s saved. I'll be getting an L76 when the money is available.

At your stage of the build, whether you get an L76 or LS2 doesn't make a difference. If your car is setup for LS1/LS2/L76/L98 you'll be right.