Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-26-2007, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Unhappy It's a worry......

A hot rod mate of mine was talking to one of his fabricators who had heard that a cobra presented to Vicroads this year with the same AU engine I have had been knocked back.

The owner was evidently told to go fit a B series engine.

I'm getting my mate to try and clarify the story but has anyone else of this around the traps? At the very least I'm going to avoid whichever VR rego. group this was done through!!

I have a letter from my engineer following his early talks with the head of the Vicroads section looking after ICV's regarding my car. At this meeting it was agreed with Vicroads I'd be allowed an AU engine to the end of 2007!

This confirmation is all well and good but it's not on a Vicroads letter and I have to say I am somewhat concerned. I know how these t#@ds like to chop and change - bloody public servants!

Anyone with some good news out there perhaps on this ADR issue?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Sorry can't help with Vic Roads, but as a backup, have you got any relatives in QLD, WA, SA etc. I think you know where I'm heading with this.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Hello Stephen

I know it sounds distressing particularly at this late stage but I'm sure you'll get yours through provided you've completed it in time.

I dont put much stock in these "..I know I guy who was talking to someone that has the exact same engine as you and.." stories.

Although the service and experience that you can get at the Registration authorities is somewhat inconsistent - if the call by them is wrong it can usually be sorted out before you get to the VCAT.

And as for Craigs Suggestion, I think my sister in Townsville might be starting a build soon...

:-)

LoBelly
Old 08-26-2007, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. Sadly have no interstate relos or family to lean on at this time.

Am getting my mate to clarify the story as I am familiar with the "mate of a mate of a mate knows" type line. We'll see what he can dig up as fact before I get too concerned.

I still have the letter as quasi minutes of a Vicroads arrangement so will lean on this as far as I have to, if it comes to that.

But I am curious if anyone has heard about the refusal as there can't be that many cobras going for reg. in the last few months.

Cheers
Old 08-27-2007, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Slowy,
Don't worry be happy!
Your AU engine will pass before the end of 07.
The emission rules didn't change throughout series 1, 2 or 3 AU's so there should be no reason for you to be knocked back.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Al your of the understanding the end of this year is it for the windsors too?

Just that my mate is reliable but I'm hoping the dirt he was told is not.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low
Al your of the understanding the end of this year is it for the windsors too?

Just that my mate is reliable but I'm hoping the dirt he was told is not.
Yes, the end of this year is it unfortunately for Windsors

You have a PM

Cheers
Old 08-28-2007, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

What about the new Boss Block ?
Smithy
Old 08-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

As far as I know...

The end of the line for windsors was 31/12/2004. The regulations allow you a three year grace period if your build was underway at the time the rules changed - pushing out the end date you can register your windsor to 31/12/2007 - if you qualify.

So its not the case that you can front with a windsor powered Cobra and expect it to pass. Details like this are often omitted from the friend-of-a-guy stories.

LoBelly
Old 08-28-2007, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Michael

That seems a more likely scenario.

Fortunately I have one of those grace period letters so I reckon all is good!

Cheers

Steve
Old 08-28-2007, 11:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

I can't believe the hassle the government is giving you guys down there...almost as bad a s California. The American Sepecialty Equipment Manufacurers Associatin (SEMA) is doing a great job here in the US getting many states to sign on to a special law governing rods and replicas that allows "original type engines" with no smog equipment. The thinking being that these cars are so well tuned that they don't create a problem and driven so little that it would make no difference anyway. You might go to the SEMA website and see what they are doing and use that info to influence your bureaucrats down there. Good Luck, Badger
Old 08-30-2007, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Stephen,

It might be worth writting a letter to the General Manager of Vic Roads. State your build and engine etc.

I did this on the advice from my engineer. Once you have it in writting from the GM, nobody can stop you. My engineer stressed not to take their word on the phone as they will deny it if it goes to court.

Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: