Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Allfie
I am using a US sourced motor from a GTO Pontiac (Holden Monaro). The wiring loom and ECU are different than the Aussie Holden Monaro however and Holden were not interested in giving me any wiring info so in the end I found a web site called alldatadiy.com that has all electrical/ mechanical diagrams for USA cars ($28 US to join, email me and I can give you my access code). The VDO guages I am using use either inputs from the ECU ie Tacho and Speedo or direct from the motor/body sensors ie fuel level guage,oil pressure, water temp, volts. I am using a 15 circuit harness from American Autowire and a very tidy fuse, relay box harness to power the motor harness and 15 circuit harness from a company ez2wire in the States.
I am finding the electrical puzzle quite enjoyable.
Bruce
Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     
Default ez2wire

Bruce, I think I just found that ez2wire kit on eBay for about $430 delivered. Is this similar to yours? Certainly looks like a nice package.

Paul
Old 10-02-2007, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes
The guy is very helpful. Email him and he will sort you out. He handles wiring kits for all sorts of motor to car conversions. Also last I heard we are 88cents to US dollar.
Bruce
Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

just buy a premade loom like a painless loom

basically its a fusebox wires coming out of it all labelled

still theres plenty of work to do to get a cobra up and running

to give u a guide i take around 5 to 6 full days from start to finish for wiring up a cobra with an ls1

for a fusebox loom with labelled wires they can range from 400 to 600

to actually make a loom from scratch might cost u 200 to 300 in a fusebox and wiring and connectors

so easiest way is to get a ez21 harness just search for it on the net

u still need connectors terminals crimpers
special connectors for headlights
might need connectors for fuel pumps
l76 and ls2 need special plugs for ecu

there is probably afew few more tings to worry about but u forget them till u get to that spot when doin wiring

do u know how headlights and hi and low beam work
they are prob the only tricky bit

then u need afew other things for rego
like warning lights have to iluminate when ign is on and go away when u start
its called a buld check

paul unless u find a shop that sells connectors and stuff wholesale amd u buy it bulk yr better of buying a premade loom for around 400 then spend arund 50 bucks on connectors and terminals

rewiring a car is not cheap just ring your local auto elect and see what he quotes

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bruce - I've been researching this all day and he ticks all the boxes as far as I'm concerned. What's the quality of the harness like? So many extras in that kit (compared to Painless, E-Z, etc).
Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sideshow - thanks for the info mate. Yes I'm going to get one of those harness kits but not E-Z as I found plenty of people bagging the quality and they're made in SE Asia not the States. Poor crimps and low quality wire they reckon.

I have crimpers, multimeter and a bit of experience with electronics so I will take my time and test everything twice. Is there a cheap place for bulk connectors? Luckily my headlights and fuel pump came pre-wired, I just need those bullet connectors.

Paul
Old 10-02-2007, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Paul
Sideshow gave me the same advice so I found ez2wire. He sells all brands painless, American autowire etc etc. I rang him and ended up getting American Auto wire 15. The whole kit is top quality, the wire, the wire labelling the crimps the instructions etc. As sideshow also says there are still alot of things you will need to sort out namely the way your switches (they do provide some) will interface to the harness. What I have found is the relay/fuse box is very tidy and compact everything in a square hand width and well labelled. I have gone through all the connections and soldered everything. You wll need to buy a few things like the wire to light connectors, wire conduit, master isolator switch, insulation tape.
But man what a feeling when you turn the switch and everything starts buzzing and flashing. No smoke yet (touch wood).
Bruce
Old 10-02-2007, 11:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Haha - the old smoke test! Cheers mate, I'm placing an order now.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

http://www.ezwiring.com/

are these the wiring looms which have a bad name

ive used a few without any probs

ive got one here ill double check it

but half the time it might be the other end of the wiring where the customer has crimped his own terminals onto it and did a crap job and its come out

i have bought 600 dollars worth of crimpers so i can do basically any terminal of the holden looms from the tiny ecu ones to the bigger ones

anothe rthing i do with these premade loom is use bigger grade alterntor wiring and use good thickness battery cable and cable lugs

i buy around 1000 bucks worth of wirin and terminals every few months

from that site u can buy a 12 fuse or a 20 fuse

when i buy the 20 fuse i modify it so i can use some of the fuses for the engine ecu

so then i do not have to run fuses next to the ecu for the engine

but most people dont know how to

so when people sned me the loom for modifyng i add a small fusebox just for the engine so with 4 or so fuses near the ecu all u really need is like a 12 fuse wiring loom

unless yr goin to run alot fo extras

Old 10-02-2007, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sideshow, I ended up buying the American Autowire Highway 15 harness. Along with that and your comments here as well as Bruce's I now have a lot more confidence in attacking the job. Thanks heaps.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sambo
Jesus thats done it. I am going to struggle sleeping tonight hoping things work out for you (what with your purchase and the All Blacks game this weekend I may need some valium).

Bruce
Old 10-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i can make good quality looms i recon but i cant compete with prices of these premade looms

ill have to order more l76 ecu plugs

as im getting low

i get about 2 or 3 emails a week for ls2 and l76 looms and parts

most from guys who buy crate motors and have half the bits missing

i have a spreadsheet now with all the missing bits which i just email to customrs

Old 10-03-2007, 12:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't worry Bruce, been studying about 5 different kits all day and found the Highway 15 last - blew me away on value but that had me doubting the quality. Since then I've found several good reviews plus your comments so it's a no brainer! As for the All Blacks, well...

Sideshow would you mind emailing me through that list for L76 bits please? I need to compare against my engine quote which I suspect has a few 'extras' that I won't need. Particularly the wireless pedal loom, which I think you can supply as a bare minimum rather than the whole loom?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

these are for l76 only

u supply main engine loom and i add my bits to get everything on engne to work with minimal work for customer is 700

if u have no engine loom what so ever then i can supply l76 engnine loom and then add my bits to make it complete loom as above for 1200

Accel pedal is 100

Front o2 sensors 180 each

Rear o2 sensors 115

Air flow meter 310

Knock sensors 70 bucks each

Engine ecu is 820

just keep in mind to get the missing bit of the l76 ecu harness u need to buy the front body harness and im not sure if this does the pdeal aswell sells for over 800

my loom is 700 comes pre wired with new micro relays fuses wiring to fans pump gauges air flow meter and air temp sensor plug which are part of body harness and comes with 2.1 m cable and plug for throttle pedal

afew cobras ive done have 2.1 m from ecu to pedal so ive been using that measurement but can adjust easily by request

if i get your looms then u should get it back within 2 to 3 weeks

thanks

jim

Old 10-03-2007, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Hi Sideshow
I want one of your immobilisers. Can you set it up so it will read the key through a Fiberglass dash?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Where does everyone put there battery? My kit has no battery tray.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Alffie,

Most Classic revivals have the battery mounted under the seat belt bracket. Have a look at Phil Neale's gallery for one solution.

Ben
Old 10-03-2007, 03:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ok ill get one ready for you

try get it done by end of next week

got afew cars in workshop to wire up plus 4 ls1/2/76 looms to do

so been busy this month

Old 10-11-2007, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by macloft
Sambo
Jesus thats done it. I am going to struggle sleeping tonight hoping things work out for you (what with your purchase and the All Blacks game this weekend I may need some valium).
Bruce, can you remember how ez2wire sent your wiring harness? If it was USPS, by which method and how long did it take? I paid last week and he hasn't answered my emails or provided any method of tracking since then!

Not your fault of course! But I paid with PayPal so I will launch a claim early next week if he doesn't come good.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

They use USPS, and usually send within a week or 2. I think on occaision (from his feedback) he gets caught out without stock, and takes some time. I think youll be right as long as you dont need it in a real hurry. Make sure you send him a message through ebay messages just to make sure he gets it.

Cheers