Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Checking Jag carrier hubs

G'day All

Ignoring the other issues with my car, I'm keen to eliminate the other noises I've talked about in previous threads related to my final drive. There is substantial noise coming from either or both my diff and rear axle setup particularly under load and given my car aint going anywhere I might as well fix it now!

I'm planning on getting my unknown status diff reconditioned but have no exposure to the workings of the carrier hubs.

I need to look at some hub schematics but I gather these hold one or more? wheel bearings and perhaps seals?

Are there any tips / tricks I need to be aware of if I start dismantling these, or is there any simple test method to determine if the hubs are in fact in need of any re-work at all.

I'd rather tackle the whole drivetrain whilst the diff is out, than get the diff fixed and everything reconnected only to find these other possible issues and having to strip down the carriers again.

What can people tell me about the jag arse end in regards reconditioning??

Cheers
Old 12-06-2007, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Past owner ERA 146, ERA 694 in progress, 428 CJ, toploader
Not Ranked     

Get the workshop manual by Robert Bentley Co. for the XKE if you are using the Jag XKE or XJ IRS. There seems to be about a thousand shims in the Jag IRS and you will want to view the exploded diagrams to size up the job before begining. I also recommend Motorcars LTD for parts if you cannot get parts locally, they stocked everything I needed and were quite reasonable in price.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Mike Roddy Motors In Moorabbin

SLOWLY,

I had mine to Mike's yesterday, he knows Jags, is a nice guy,
prices are OK.

say no more,

STIFFY
Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

STIFFNESS

I've been put onto another fellow just around the corner from roddy's Jack McNamara who is a bit of a wizard too but I am led to believe perhaps a little less $$$Y as Mike.

SLOW Y
Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Make sure you have the diff rebuilt first, then tackle the hubs. A good Jaguar manual is necessary. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

G'day mate,
I found info about cracks in the bearing carrier hubs (webs).
I found a crack in mine so I bought another from a bloke (Jag wrecker ) in Melbourne... it probably weighed twice as much with the old grease covering it. But it was reasonably priced and had no cracks. I'm about to fall asleep here. so I will try to find & send you more info later.
I love the nuts & bolts stuff !
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force MkII, Ford 429, Tremec TKO, Jag Suspension, Sequential LPG Injection, On The Road.
Not Ranked     

Hi Slowy,

If you get stuck, I can scan the schematics out of the rebuild manual, should also be able to dig up the parts schematics (jag part numbers) if you need them.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force MkII, Ford 429, Tremec TKO, Jag Suspension, Sequential LPG Injection, On The Road.
Not Ranked     

woops, should have read the date
Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Andrew but all still valid, except I've pinpointed a lot of noise eminating from my dodgy T5 gearbox.

I think all the bits will last me towards winter, at which time a rebuild process will be started.

Cheers