Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Yet another update

Well after finally making an a/c system for inside my shed I can now safely and comfortably work in there.
We have had days upto 44 degrees out here lately.

Friday night after work I headed out to the shed with the aim being to have the pedal assys ready to bolt in and allready be adjusted to the correct levels. I also wanted to make the brake and clutch pipes from the master cylinders to there connectors.

I fitted the master cylinders to my under dash support brace and shortened the push rods the required amount to allow me the correct pedal positions.

Once I was satisfied with that I mounted a master cylinder to the firewall and bent the pipes into there correct shapes, I also bought the genuine Holden pipes and hoses and clips for the clutch system, I modified and mounted these to a position where I was happy that all would be located where they need to be.

Saturday morning I headed into town and had the brake guy flare the ends for me (I had broken my flaring tool last week), I also bought some steel and odds and ends.
Back at home I mounted the under dash brace and fitted the master cylinders to the car, fitted and adjusted the pedals and push rods then fitted the pipes I had made.

Next I started on the accelerator pedal, I wasnt happy with its alignment so I modified the arm so I could get the pedal sitting how I wanted it, also to allow for an easier mounting postion and still have clearance from brake pedals and the bias balance bar system.

Then I bolted it into the car, the mounting bolts are accessable through the side vent hole.

Now it was time to get the steering shaft sorted out and fit a suport for it.
After much measuring and testing this is the suport bracket I made.

And here it is mounted in the car.

That is the clutch pipe and hose you can see below it.

Next came time to make an adjustable drivers seat base.
I bought my seats from ebay a few years ago from a store, they initally sent me a wrong seat, when I contacted them they where very helpful and sent me the correct 2 seats straight away, I asked how I could get the wrong seat back to them and they advised me to keep it, this was a good thing as it had sliding tracks on it.
I used this track and fitted it to the seat, I measured up the pre made seat mounting position and found that one side had been drilled about 5 mm different to the other side (inner and outer position on drivers side) I measured the slider I had and found it was 320mm centre to centre and my floor was 320 one side and 325 the other.
After modifying the runner I mounted it to the car and tested the fit and adjuster, all working well.

Next up was to refit the dash and fit the hand brake, I remembered talking to Aussie Mike and in passing coversation he had said that the hole around the gearstick is a good access point for the hand brake, I just needed to make the hole bigger.
So being very mindful of where the fuel lines, battery lead and rear wiring harness where located in the tunel I cut my hole larger.
And I have to agree that what used to be a task I would sware at for 1 hour before getting it fitted now took all of 10 minutes.
Before refitting the indicator switch I looked at it a little more thorough and realised the plastic cover on the indicator/headlight stalk is bolted on.
I have mounted a headlight switch in the dash and have moved my hazzard light switch to a dash location aswell and I am not fitting wipers, so I could remove all these switches from the assy.
I have removed the wiper switch and fitted the assy upside down to the colomn, so now the stalk is on the left hand side of my steering wheel.
When I removed the plastic cover of the indicator stalk I found the shaft inside is a nice aluminium one, so I will polish this up and fit a little plastic knob on it like the older Holdens had.

It was at about this time I realised I had forgotten on Friday night to fit a brake light switch, so out came the seat again and luckily it was a fairly simple task to weld a tab in place and sort that out.

I then refitted the seat and bolted in the steering wheel, I couldnt help myself but to sit in the seat, hold the wheel and start pressing pedals.
I then grabbed a chux and cleaned all the spitle from the steering wheel and dash.
Here are some pics of dash in place.

And lastly I started on the passengers seat but it was getting close to diner time, my feet where sore and I was ready for a shower.
So I sat the seat in place and sat the drivers seat belt in place for 1 last pic.

Hope the story wasnt too long or boring.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice work, Boxhead. Hope to see it at the Shelby Fest.
Richard
PS Good story, not too long or boring. I read it twice to avoid going back to work!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Looking good Dave, can't wait to catch up at Shelbyfest.