Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

I think Rickmoss needs to investigate a few things

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmoss

The Chev L76 or the beefier LS2 are(in my opinion) modern, UGLY engines that look like they come out of a Saturn or a Hyundai and seem to be quite expensive to boot (compared to comparable complete, drop-in Ford crate engines).
A) Don't see how a LS is any uglier then a Ford engine.
B) LS engines are excellent value $ per KW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmoss
Will these modern technical marvels deliver a throaty, head-turning, envy-inspiring, testosterone induced roar from the side exhaust?

Will they require access to NASA computers to tune and keep running? Unlike the FORD engines that can be timed with a slightly modified flashlight.
A) Sorry mate if you build a Cobra rather then buy a '2nd hand' Cobra with a not ugly (your words not mine) engine, you will have to have a modern engine that is run with a NASA computer. Does not matter if it is a Ford or LS donk.

B)As for the side exhaust thing I'll let someone else enlighten you on this subject.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ugly was obviously a poor choice of words -- I was speaking to the incongruity of the modern engine in a classic car design.

The Ford Crate Engines available in the US are not significantly different in looks than their 1960's counterparts -- performance, however, is another story. Every part is easily identifiableto some like me, who last took an auto mechanics class in the early '70s, and it matches the body. They are colourful, shiny and, while that doesn't contribute a bit to the performance of the engine, it looks spectacular when you put up the bonnet at a car show.

The Cobra body is -- not just my opinion -- a classic work of mid-century art. The curves were designed to mimic the shape of a feline body without any superfluous lines or space-aged fins so popular in that era.

I personally find modern engines dull and utilitarian looking -- the notable exception being Mr. Murphy's gorgeous example above.

There are car kits that are faster than the Cobra and those that are much more expensive -- but, I personally haven't seen anything that matches the Cobra for sheer poetry -- it is speed and grace manifest in metal. So, what I am building is not just a driving machine -- but a piece of art -- so aesthetics are a crucial component.

But, the reality is, I live in Australia and have to build according to Australian road rules -- and rightly so -- so, I would appreciate any leads on where I can go for Turnkey or Crate LS Chevy Engines or street legal Ford Boss Series engines in Australia.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2008, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

No offence taken Rick and in fact I agree that the stock LS1 isn't pretty. However once you peel back the plastic covers, get rid of the coils on the rockers cover and re-arange some of the plumbing there is actually a very nice looking engine under there.

It usually gives people a bit of a surprise when they look under the hood and can't quite work out what it is.

My motor started as a stock LS1 crate motor from the US Camaro/Firebird. Basically the same as the Holden LS1 but with a different sump design. There are plenty of suppliers out there with new crate engines at great prices. I'm sure some of the guys that have bought recently will chime in.

The electronics are actually pretty straight forward when you get into them. An internal combustion engine requires the same things whether it's a modern EFI engine or an older carburetored donk. The systems to control air and fuel delivery and ignition timing are just a bit more sophisticated with more accurate control in the modern engine. If you understand all the principles of an older carburettored engine then it's fairly easy to translate that into the new engines systems.

This might be a good topic for a seperate thread. An explanation of what each of the systems in an EFI engine does and how it compares to the older technology.

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 01-19-2008 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-2008, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Hi Rick
Since you arnt in a big rush I would suggest you get a Kirkham. they will build a turn key no problems.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Rick,

If you are in town at the end of February you should get along to Shelbyfest. There will be a heap of Cobras and their enthusiastic owners there. A good oportunity to see a lot of different cars and speak to people about their experience building or buying their car.

I'll be in Singapore in 2 weeks for a day or so stop over on my way back from India.

Cheers

Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I checked out Kirkham website and a copper Cobra couldn't get any sexier if Jessica Alba was driving it in a knit bikini.

But, I really want to build my own car. More than half the fun of flying the Vans RV is knowing that I made every rivet in the thing (about 10,000 of them) myself.

However, when it comes to the engine -- I'm going to need some help. When I chose the engine for my airplane, I was lucky enough to find a company that allowed me to come to factory in Texas and spend a week putting together my own engine, under the watchful eye of a master mechanic.

I learned then that there are a lot of things that can go wrong and when you're dealing with things that spin around and go up and down thousands of times a minute you really need to know what you're doing to avoid VERY costly mistakes.

Just like the plane though, I hope to learn enough while making it so that I can do the majority of my own upkeep.

Mike -- I'd like to catch up when you're in Singapore if it's convenient for you. You can send me your itinerary at "fncceo@yahoo.com.au"

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

The LS1 engines are really quite simple to transplant and run in your kit.
Unlike other modern engines, the LS engines have been designed to be used in many applications as a stand alone unit, not just in cars.
That being said, the engine managment system is very easily tuned by nearly every tuning shop in the western world, and with very basic electrical knowledge and as long as you are not colour blind anyone could get one up and running.
The subject of exhaust note is obviously a personal thing, and I agree that Ford engines have naturally a very sweet note. BUT the deep throaty roar that the LS series engines produce through side pipes is generally not forgotten quickly.
I look forward to following your build,
Gav