Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, GenIII
Not Ranked     
Default Mechanic in Melbourne

Unlike most of the contributors to this forum, I'm not so handy with the spanners.

I recently purchased a Cobra from a guy based in Qld. The car passed roadworthy there, but unfortunately it hasn't passed RWC here in Victoria.

I need to get a few things fixed up so that I can transfer it to my name before the Qld rego expires in March. Can anyone recommend a mechanic that is familiar with Cobras and not snowed under with post-Christmas work?

It would be even better if suggestions included a mechanic near the Ivanhoe / Eaglemont area (Melbourne's North East suburbs).

Thanks!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hey there Buddy.

What are the items that need attention?

I used to live in Eltham and I know afew of the workshops in the area.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi boxhead

The auto doesn't have PRND321 indicator (it currently has a custom timber shroud), which was apparently ok in Qld, but not here. But that's easily fixed.

The brake lines run close to the exhaust and the reviewer suggested there wasn't enough shielding.

But the main issue is the steering, which is heavy and binding because the steering column shafts are worn & hitting inner guards. The universal shaft between the steering column and the rack and also the steering rack are out of a VK Commodore. It also has a Mitsubishi Colt steering column.

Eltham's a great part of the world! I'm surprised you wanted to leave

My proposed mechanic is also based in Eltham but he's too snowed under at the moment, so I'm considering a contingency plan due to the tightening timeframe.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Buddy

There are several club members with their own workshops and at least one fellow that works on cobras as a retirement exercise to get petty cash for his car passion.

It would be worth coming to the next club meeting next Wednesday at the Malvern East RSL & Bowls club to find out more.

Cheers
Old 01-24-2008, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Slowy,

Having met the Pres at an informal drive last year, I've been hoping to get along to the last 2 meetings, but have had other commitments. Unfortunately I'm also booked up this Wednesday.

I'm itching to get to some of these meetings to hear about all the great things that can be done in/with/around these mighty cars
Old 01-24-2008, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Doug Pearce

Hey Buddy23,

Contact Doug Pearce on 9739 4222.

Doug has built/registered over 50 Cobra's, ALL makes and engine config's.

He is located in Lilydale.

STIFFY
P.S. and come to next weeks meeting.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Buddy,

Another Harrison in Melbourne - nice one! What's your build number?

I'm currently fitting the steering to my Harrison, using a VK power rack with Ford Laser column (similar to Colt I believe). The universals can be easily sourced from a wrecker, or if they're not from a production model then you can buy them new - just need verniers to measure the shaft diameters and count the splines. I'm using Borgeson and Flaming River brand and they can be landed here for around $120 and they look great in the engine bay.

Anyway speak to Doug Pearce, he'll sort you out. Great bloke and very knowledgeable.

Cheers,
Paul