Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, 5.0L Tickford LPG
Not Ranked     
Default Steering Column

OK, so I go to order a steering column from the kit supplier, and he says he can now only sell me one if I supply one for exchange. I thought, ok fair enough, but then he mentioned that I need to source myself a Sigma GE/GH steering column.
I forgot those cars even existed.
So before I go ringing around wreckers frustrating the crap out of myself I thought someone here might have recently gone through the same thing and have some contacts that I can start with.
I have a GForce MK1 kit.
Do I have another option?
I'm in Perth.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I dont get it - if you had one to exchange, then you wouldnt need him to sell you one?

(Sorry - that is probably not particularly helpfull)
Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: drb,5.4 ltr,jag f/r
Not Ranked     

sounds unusual to me also hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
darrell
Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
I dont get it - if you had one to exchange, then you wouldnt need him to sell you one?

(Sorry - that is probably not particularly helpfull)
Duh...

It's obvious !!

If he doesn't give him one, he won't have any to sell him....Duh !!

Again ...Not helpful !
Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Given my column came with the kit, I can't tell you what Rob does to them. It might be worth looking at an alternate equivalent, laser, corolla or similar.

Do you have pick a part wrecking yards over there, ie self dismantle? At the very least the ability to look at various car's set ups is worth its weight.

The sigma column is a continuous length from wheel to firewall but does have a collapsable mid section. I know of a VY? commodore column being used in a GForce so I guess most columns could be modified to suit.

You need to consider what stalk and shroud arrangements you want at the wheel as I grafted a Hyundai excel unit onto my sigma column.

So my comments don't help specifically either but give you a few ideas I hope.

Cheers
Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

I'd say the guys at GForce convert the Sigma column to suit their kit, saving the builder having to do the necessary work - whatever that is. Perhaps it gets shortened, or new universals, or relocated switch gear? Best bet is to ring them and find out - problem solved. They probably don't want to spend their time running around wrecking yards when they could be rolling out those lovely body shells.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 302 Windsor Supra 5 speed Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     

My RMC is very similar to the G Force and uses the same Sigma column. I think the shaft in column had a spline cut to suit the universal joint that connects to the intermediate shaft. FYI the GE/GH Sigma is the one with the twin rectangular headlights and they are getting hard to find arouind Perth, does the G Force also use the brake booster from the same Sigma?

Ross
Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Brake booster

Ross, you're correct, GForce also use the Sigma brake booster. Apparently those GE/GH Sigmas came out with a few different versions but the PBR version is one required.

Luckily, after a number of phone calls, I've been able to source the steering column for around $80, but not the brake booster. I've been told the column is from a power steering setup. I wouldn't know if that means its different and possibly not suitable, but I'll call GForce tomorrow to clarify. If ok I'll pick it up this weekend.
Not sure how much extra I'll need to pay to get it modified by GForce, but I think its alot of $$$.

You'd think there'd be something around thats more readily available that they would fit/recommend for these kits now.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I've got an RMC with a sigma column. .. I have totally rebuilt the thing to put the ignition switch behind the dash and pull the steering wheel closer to the dash board. I also made the outer tube and mounting brackets out of stainless. These columns are the most basic design you can get. you probably could build one from scratch.
The Booster is also an "easy-out". It happens to fit a ford master cylinder...! Go to a decent brake mob and they can sell you anything you want. I have just helped another cobra owner put a better booster in his DRB. It was the same can as the sigma but with a different drilled mounting stud pattern....they are a "universal" unit and there's a million combinations out there ! Good Luck !
Old 01-31-2008, 03:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

when I got my (2nd hand) RMC kit it came with the sigma steering column.

It looked really crappy (but - being a cheap a$$ - I was going to spruce it up ) however, when I took the car to the Engineer to discuss what I needed he said that the connection to the steering rack would be too tight and i had to have an intermediate step. Just as long as the column came from a car that was heavier than the Cobra.

Making up a steering column from bits is a painful exercise and somewhat difficult to get right. So if you can get it done easily (and make it safe) then even if its a bit more expensive than you'd like I'd say it's worth a bit of cash. Unless of course getting into the tricky stuff is your thing.

LoBelly
Old 01-31-2008, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force MkII, Ford 429, Tremec TKO, Jag Suspension, Sequential LPG Injection, On The Road.
Not Ranked     

Hi auscobra,

I've got my column out on the bench at the moment if you want to check it out.
It's a re-fabbed unit from G-Force.
I still have to go through the painful step of sorting a wheel boss out that sits the wheel back as far as possible.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, Ford 5.4 SOHC 3v
Not Ranked     

Auscobra,

The Sigma column gets the indicator stalk, key, cowling and steering lock from a Mitsibishi Colt fitted to it, to make the G/Force column. It is a simple task if you are a little clever, I got both columns and booster (for exchange)
out of the 'QUOKKA' for a total of $15.00.

Andrew429,

Give TOPLINE at- 19 Millrose Dr, Malaga a call on 9248 5855, they make excellent bosses to suit your needs.

Plums,

Sorry! I have just realized I gave you the wrong info for Topline, I sent you what was written down by the person in the AUTO ONE shop.

Harry.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Steering columns and links

Andrew429,
I might take you up on that offer to have a squizz. I've seen you've got the steering uv joints in you gallery as well. Where are you located?

I've got a price from GForce with the exchange column and it's still got too many digits in it. (4 before the decimal point). Mentioned a few mods they do, the length of the column was important and said the uv's and links are the expensive bits. Does this seem reasonable??
Old 01-31-2008, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Those Borgeson and Flaming River u-joints shouldn't be more than $150 each. That's what I paid anyway.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

For the Boss to suit these sigma columns, get your hands on the all alloy saas bosses. These are one piece and can be cut shorter to pull the wheel forward. You just need to drill and retap the steering wheel attachments to the shortened face left.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2008, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 302 Windsor Supra 5 speed Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     

I bought the parts for my steering about 2 years ago, but this is what I paid for them and where they came from.

Cheers

Ross

Steering Rack 11-Dec-04 RMC $625.00
Tie Rod Ends 11-Dec-04 RMC $39.24
Steering Column 14-Jan-06 Pick a Part $45.00
Steering Column bearing 1-Feb-06 Coventrys $33.47
Key for Steering Column Lock 6-Feb-06 Gronbek $25.00
Steering column modifications 28-Mar-06 RMC $150.00
Steering couplings 28-Mar-06 RMC $250.00
Intermediate Steering Shaft 28-Mar-06 RMC $220.00
Old 02-01-2008, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force MkII, Ford 429, Tremec TKO, Jag Suspension, Sequential LPG Injection, On The Road.
Not Ranked     

auscobra, pm sent

cheers
Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Back to square 1

Picked up the steering column, took it to GForce. Find out its perfect except its about 50mm too short. The one I picked up is from the power steering version, not the required non-power steering version. (I know this now)
It's frustrating finding out there's finer critical details when it's too late.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Replica Motor Company
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Smith View Post
I bought the parts for my steering about 2 years ago, but this is what I paid for them and where they came from.

Cheers

Ross

Steering Rack 11-Dec-04 RMC $625.00
Tie Rod Ends 11-Dec-04 RMC $39.24
Steering Column 14-Jan-06 Pick a Part $45.00
Steering Column bearing 1-Feb-06 Coventrys $33.47
Key for Steering Column Lock 6-Feb-06 Gronbek $25.00
Steering column modifications 28-Mar-06 RMC $150.00
Steering couplings 28-Mar-06 RMC $250.00
Intermediate Steering Shaft 28-Mar-06 RMC $220.00
EXPENSIVE AND YOU CAN BUY A COMPLETE CAR FOR $100 Bucks.

Last edited by justcobra; 12-22-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Old 12-22-2012, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default IDIDIT Flaming River?

Will an IDIDIT or Flaming river column work? Chances are, yes. And they have 'Roadster' columns which kit car companies use.

Xack

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: