Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default Leg burns from Side Pipes.

I haven't got to this stage of my build yet, but I can see a serious domestic situation arising in the not too distant future.

The advise that you are about to give will no doubt, save my sanity and help in a big way to prevent an avalanche of abuse from the missus when she either burns her legs on the side pipes of the Cobra or leaves half of her good stockings on my good, polished stainless steel exhausts.

I suppose I can wear ear plugs, but I'm not keen on doing all that polishing after she leaves the car, be it either skin or nylons.

Could someone out there tell me how they have addressed this problem?

I have been thinking of carrying extra carpet floor mats, which I can place over the side pipes as 'Her Highness' alights, similar to the red carpet used on royal coaches and limo's, but I'm not sure whether the carpet underlay will burn itself onto the hot stainless steel pipes.

What do you think, and please try to be constructive as I can see a big problem looming. HELP.:

Baz
Old 02-17-2008, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Baz
Put some heat shields on it or just go with the " she'll only do it once" attitude.

Cheers
Brett
Old 02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's Snake View Post
Baz
Put some heat shields on it or just go with the " she'll only do it once" attitude.

Cheers
Brett
Brett,

Don't like 'Heat Shields'.

Baz
Old 02-17-2008, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Baz, you have 3 options...
1. Burn your legs until you learn. Others who are familiar with the car won't be aware and serious injury could occur. I have seen little kids STAND on side pipes at car shows... Luckily they were fake!!! I DON'T DO CAR SHOWS.
2. You can use a fabric heat shield that flips out when the door is open and tucks in beside the seat when cruisin. Ozvenom has done these on a Robnell I saw. They worked but only protect those in the know. Not the general public.
3. Don't have live pipes! THEY BURN! I do have em but with it comes extra responsibility. AND DEAFNESS!

SpookyPT
Old 02-17-2008, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
1. Burn your legs until you learn. Others who are familiar with the car won't be aware and serious injury could occur. I have seen little kids STAND on side pipes at car shows... Luckily they were fake!!! I DON'T DO CAR SHOWS.
2. You can use a fabric heat shield that flips out when the door is open and tucks in beside the seat when cruisin. Ozvenom has done these on a Robnell I saw. They worked but only protect those in the know. Not the general public.
3. Don't have live pipes! THEY BURN! I do have em but with it comes extra responsibility. AND DEAFNESS!

SpookyPT
Thanks Spook,

Those Fabric heat shields sound the go. Any idea where I might acquire myself a set?

I might send Ozvenom a PM if he doesn't see this post.

Baz
Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     

Heat shields are not cool.
It depends on your lady, is she a car gal or not? If she is she will be a lot more cognizant of the pipes and the potential for bodily harm. I always remind anyone who rides with me about the hot pipes. There have been numerous post's over the years on this subject. It gets down to this..........it is our duty as Cobra owners, knowing the danger, to warn others about getting burned on the pipes. Most people who know ANYTHING about cars are going to instinctively know that if exhaust comes out of the pipe, it's going to be HOT! We can't protect everybody from everything, but I have found that other than the issue of touching them upon exiting the car, it's really a non issue. If somebody runs up and grabs onto the tailpipe of my F150 when I pull up, well they get what the get.

Ray
Old 02-17-2008, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
1. Burn your legs until you learn. Others who are familiar with the car won't be aware and serious injury could occur. I have seen little kids STAND on side pipes at car shows... Luckily they were fake!!!

SpookyPT
My advice...use dummy side pipes.

1. Side pipes rob horsepower
2. They are loud
3. They limit your street cruising range because of the noise.
4. They WILL burn friends and family
5. They will burn other children who stand on them.
6. They are illegal on the left side of the car.

If 5 above happens then find a good lawyer because 6 will cause your insurance company to not accept liability.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Not Ranked     

I thought that heatsheilds were mandatory in the Australian states & territories that allowed live sidepipes?

I understand that heatsheilds will not eliminate the burn, but I thought that with the right ceramic coatings, they significantly reduced the severity of the burn if an accident occured?

I'm with you Baz...I really hope there's a way to manage this risk because I for one would not want to see anybody burnt...

Regards.....Paul
Old 02-17-2008, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival ls1 supercharged 6 speed
Not Ranked     

What about ceramic coated side pipes as I have them and haven't burnt myself and been registed for a year now.

Cheers from Greg
Old 02-17-2008, 11:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Les, sounds like you're getting &^%*(%( in your twilight years! I do agree with what you say though... But geeez..

Oh yeah, your daughter is safe... I'm marrying the daughter of a drag racer!!!!

I just have to teach him how to drive AROUND CORNERS!!!

Young Punk SpookyPT
Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Can we have a show of hands of people with live side pipes that have NOT managed to burn anyone?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
My advice...use dummy side pipes.

6. They are illegal on the left side of the car.
NOt in the NT there not

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Les, sounds like you're getting &^%*(%( in your twilight years! I do agree with what you say though... But geeez..

Oh yeah, your daughter is safe... I'm marrying the daughter of a drag racer!!!!

I just have to teach him how to drive AROUND CORNERS!!!

Young Punk SpookyPT
Oi Punk SpookyPT

Wot's this getting &^%*(% bit? . I'm not getting there, I've been there a long time....so there

Sadly mate, we live in a litigious society and I don't wanna see any of my cobra mates getting burned...in a court room.

I did know of a past cobra owner whose grandchild did stand on grand-dads sidepipes. The child was about 5 at the time and so traumatic was it to all that Grand-dad sold the car.

I lost track of the family when the child was about 12yo but I do know the child was still suffering from the after effects of the burn.

Having said that...I do understand why we all would like working side pipes.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
NOt in the NT there not
I don't know about the NT but I'm told in WA that you "purchase" an exemption to allow sidepipes. This does not absolve the owner from litigation.

I think a good lawyer wouldn't have too much trouble proving negligence in the NT either.

Frankly. If i was running live side pipes I'd be getting into the habit of baby-sitting the car until they cooled off to be relatively safe.

As with most things, too late after it happens.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Oi Punk SpookyPT
Having said that...I do understand why we all would like working side pipes.
Les, it's Don here not Craig.

Some of the best times I ever remember in a car were in Craig's last Cobra with the side pipes booming. What a beautiful sound!
Aside from the great sound, side pipes create extra ground clearance. His first car (the RMC) was a pain as it was always scraping the muffler clamps.
Stainless pipes cool down pretty quickly so if you're worried about ankle biters hurting themselves, just hang about for a minute or two until they're "safe" for the little grubs to climb all over.
So .... sound, ground clearance, cool factor (why bother putting on fakes?) .... what's not to like?

Baz, I don't know how old your wife is but she's a big girl now. Tell her to be careful getting out the first couple of times and that should be it. Craig's mum is not a "car person" but she never had a problem with the side pipes.

Cheers,
Don.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1 Ac Cobra View Post
What about ceramic coated side pipes as I have them and haven't burnt myself and been registed for a year now.

Cheers from Greg
Thanks Greg,

I checked out your Gallery and they look great. I will give that idea some thought, but I was really into polished stainless steel.

Baz
Old 02-18-2008, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Heyyyyyyyyy Don, where the blu$$y hell you been hiding?.

Hey, I used your sons name in vane in another thread......The RCR thread.

I told Craig White that your Craig was keen on a T50 replica.

Stick with me...I'll spend your money.

Last edited by Rebel1; 02-18-2008 at 01:22 AM..
Old 02-18-2008, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

My eyes lit up there Les for a moment.
I thought you'd said "I'll send you money" !!!

Don.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
My eyes lit up there Les for a moment.
I thought you'd said "I'll send you money" !!!

Don.
oopsy.....

Blu$$y typo.... "I'll spend your money" is what I meant to say.

Craig always mentions the T70 to be one of his favorite cars.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default The price of glory

I agree with Mat, if you have side pipes you need to take resposibility for them.

I will always stay next to my car when I park untill the pipes cool off. I have them ceramic coated on the inside and they cool off pretty quick.

You do tend to do it only once as it bucken really hurts and you are left with a nasty wound.

Phil