Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie....How to RTA Conform Kits

Hi
Having spent years dreaming about building a Cobra the time's come to start my journey.
I'm doing all the fun homework on which kit, at what stage etc etc and living not far from the Cold Ghost, am giving a Harrison serious consideration. (Warwick seems like a good bloke too!) It's also crossed my mind to save some money (maybe) and buy a partly completed kit from someone who has run out of time, money, or enthusiasm.
I've run across conflicting info from both sellers and 2 engineers that I've spoken to on how to comply a car in NSW whether purchased half built or a chassis/body kit from the factory.
So, in anyone's opinion am I asking for trouble buying a car from Vic/SA and trying to comply it here in NSW?
How much does the complying process cost?
Living in northern NSW and holding a Qld Transport Customer ID (I have a boat registered there) can I comply and register the car in QLD (I have been told I need a QLD drivers licence to do this).
Is the process easier and less expensive in QLD?
Thanks
Old 02-22-2008, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

OOH this is scary stuff... Pick an engineer. Get his perspective. Then get the rules from the RTA and compare with the engineer. I can guarantee, you will get more confusing answers. The RTA doesn't want to know about ICV's
One thing to remember... the rego circus is just a one big hurdle to cross. PERSERVERE !
It will work out eventually. ( no one in the RTA knows or cares what a Cobra is ) [ it's just more work and a headache ]
The NSW RTA will stuff you around. A good engineer will really help.
I'm way down south in NSW. It's probably better in QLD. {waiting for a bite}
Old 02-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When i bought my cobra in QLD the nsw rta wouldn't recognise the engineers cert because it hadn't been done by one of their registered engineers, the engineers certificate would have been 100 pages, what they accepted in the end was 3 pages of nothing, so just be aware that if you bye something from out of state that you might have to get it re engineered.
Stuart
Old 02-22-2008, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

What about cars that are registerd in one state whats the process to get it registed in another?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartt View Post
When i bought my cobra in QLD the nsw rta wouldn't recognise the engineers cert because it hadn't been done by one of their registered engineers, the engineers certificate would have been 100 pages, what they accepted in the end was 3 pages of nothing, so just be aware that if you bye something from out of state that you might have to get it re engineered.
Stuart
Stuart
Can you expand on this?
Where are you and which engineer did you use?
What brand of kit?
What info did the 3 pages V's 100 contain?
Apparently a lot hinges on the mood of the RTA inspector on the day!
Thanks
Greg
Old 02-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Their was no RTA inspection as such, as long as you turn up with a previously registered car, and proof of, the original engineers certificate and the engineer is on the list of approved engineers published by the RTA all you need is a blue slip inspection as per a normal first registration for nsw, where it gets messy is when the RTA don't recognize the original engineer as in my case, all the engineer did with mine was confiirm that it was still as per the original documents, but when i went to the rta to register it the didn't want to know about the first certificate and just took the 2 or 3 page of rubish that he had written and away i went as fast as i could before they changed their mind.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Warwick Harrison mostly uses an engineer in northern NSW, Ray Cross. He is highly regarded, I believe. I bought a rolling chassis from Warwick, being impressed by the guy and the feedback I received from his customer base. This has shortened my 'journey' somewhat, but not reduced the enjoyment. Mine had body on chassis, all suspension fitted, steering fitted, brake and fuel lines installed, most body holes cut, floors pre-cut and doors fitted with locks. I also had the (100mms) extended body fabricated. Things are progressing quickly, only held up by parts availability on occassion - not Warwick's fault. All in all I would support his product as one of contemporary value and a good engineering history.

All the best,

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There is no rego of cobras in vic my cobra is running on S.R rego which is $100 dollars a year i can drive it to any auto event ,road test ,to and from machinic work shop and to and from club meetings, and it has not hindered me one bit. And in the future the 90 day sceam will be in which is much beater Lindsay
Old 03-02-2008, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

byroncobra..

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your build.

I agree with the thoughts above.

Once you decide on your supplier then talk to the engineer. You have the option of going either Gen. motor or quad cam Ford. Both are easily fitted and the supplier will have all chassis work done to suit.

So firstly, think about what engine. Pick your supplier of the kit and keep talking.

Kits such as those supplied by Warrick and Classic Revival are not new to the engineers. Additionally, once you decide on the kit talk with people here who have your kit and they will guide you through the process and the build.

Again good luck.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Incomplete De type for sale, please tell me more.

Thanks for all the input.
It seems the compliance issue needs a fair bit of perseverance!
I took myself off to the QLD club meeting on Sunday and dribbled all over the cars......great bunch of people, lots of guys (anf girls) just walked up to me and chatted about their cars, making me feel comfortable about the whole scene......thanks heaps.