Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default De type for sale

Hi
A de type is for sale locally (Nerang), 90% finished according to the guy. Just needs paint and upholstery.
Anyone know much about them?
Can I anticipate rego problems?
I tracked down Peter D'arcey-Evans, the original builder and he tells me that they are better built than most of the other kits........he stopped making them as he couldn't make any money from them.
Any others around out of the 20 that he produced that anyone knows of?
At an asking price 0f $25k I'm asking myself if I'm likely to save money going this way rather than starting with a $15k chassis/shell kit and going from there?!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

This is a vast generalisation but...

If a car is actually 90% finished and just needs paint and upholstery then there is no reason why it would not already be registered.

In my experience a modified version of the Pareto Principle may be fairly applied to these sorts of claims - in the kit car sense it would translate as being

80% of the build takes 20% of the time/effort.

My somewhat cynical view of cars sold with such a high % complete is that the owner has realised that it cannot be registered as built and does not have the wherewithal to correct or redo.

Notwithstanding this - if you take a cold look at the parts included that you can/would be willing to use and the value of these against the purchase price you may well find that it is worthwhile for the parts value - to say nothing of the time you spend running around getting them all together.

But beware
Just because it has lights doesn't mean you can use them
Just because it has seats doesn't mean you can use them
...etc

Talk to an engineer first - they will tell you what such a car has to have
then go look at the kit
decide what you think its worth - if you want it at all

have fun

LoBelly
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah LoBelly
I'm hearin' ya!
The guy tell me he's recently separated, needs money...........whatever.
I'm looking at it in the next few days...we'll see.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncobra View Post
Yeah LoBelly
I'm hearin' ya!
The guy tell me he's recently separated, needs money...........whatever.
I'm looking at it in the next few days...we'll see.
bc

I found understanding engineering / transport requirements one of the most unpredictable parts of the build process. As LoBelly points out - best to get in touch with an engineer (Merv has already mentioned Ray Cross who does a lot of work in this area) to discuss any known issues. Transport is another kettle of fish altogether.

My 2.2 cents - try to get someone to check out the de Type with you. I am realtively local (Palm Beach) and am happy to volunteer if you can't find someone else with more knowledge (shouldn't be hard!!).

BTW: My car has been 90% finished for about 12 months!! And now that its registered, it is likely to stay that way for some time.

Cheers

Geof
Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

byroncobra, The De-type sometimes referred to as the King C(K)obra is actually a very well made unit.

Our Resident expert is Hogster from Darwin. He is buildiing one and is also the NT agent for the kit. I believe the confusion of names has resulted from the original builder Peter D'arcey-Evans and an ex employee, A Dave King, manufacturing the same kit.

How this eventuated is beyond me but I believe that a Dave King continues to actively produce the kits.

The kit is wider by other cobra standards by I think 100mm. I'm not sure if this 100mm was inserted in the middle of the car or some in the middle and some in the wheel arches.

I must say that unless the car is sitting next to another make of cobra that the extra width is not visually apparent. ie. It looks like a well proportioned cobra.

The only feature of the car I found a little strange was the very wide tunnel. I felt that the plug maker didn't take full advantage of the extra width by also widening the tunnel. Had the tunnel been kept to more normal cobra widths (ie narrower) then more footwell room could have resulted and also many more seat options could be used.

The last contact number I had for Dave King is mobile 0437235221.

Last edited by Rebel1; 03-04-2008 at 08:28 PM..
Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Rebel 1 and particularly Geof for your kind offer to have a look at the car with me. I'm considering taking a drive up there on Saturday if it suits the guy.
If it's convenient with you please email me at gallman@optusnet.com.au and I'll give you a call.........love to look at your build too if OK!
In regards to R1's comment on the origin of the car, Peter D-E asked me to get the build # off the chassis, that will sort out whether it is his or Dave Kings car perhaps. Peter does say that he still has the jigs and moulds so maybe the King Cobra is different?!
Hopefully the Hogster might chime in here, meanwhile I'll call Ray Cross (he only lives down the road from me fortunately) and get his thoughts.
Greg
Old 03-05-2008, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

BC, I have seen the jig and moulds beside a shed, behind a house at Mudgeraba (sp) not in terribly wonderful condition.

A friend of mine was interested in buying them but passed up on the offer. Makes one wonder how many jigs and moulds there is.

Cheers
Old 03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Greg,

The former ACT state coordinators Peter and Beverley Baker built one and are quite happy with it. They have not put it on the track so can't say if they handle that well or not, but last year they took it on a pretty lenghty tour through QLD and were more than happy with the ride and comfort.

They selected the D-Type for it's spacious interior, they are both big framed people, Pete being about 6' 10" and fits with room to spare. So if your big or tall, could be just the ticket.

If you are not a fanatically passionate Cobraphile, you can overlook the different shape body. They all look the same from the drivers seat looking through the screen.

I find them sort of squashed looking, they seem very low in the side panels, and possibly the body sits lower on the chassis. They could not get pipes under it at it's standard ride height so fitted side pipes.

They use a mixture of XD-XF and Cortina front suspension components and a full width XF ? Falcon rear.

Last edited by David Hodgson; 03-05-2008 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: edited for spelling - ha.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Byron cobra,

There has been a De - type for sale in the trading post for a number of months. Canberra car.

The wide tunnel is very clear to see.

Hope this helps with your research.

Cheers

Swany
Old 03-05-2008, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swany View Post
Hi Byron cobra,

There has been a De - type for sale in the trading post for a number of months. Canberra car.

The wide tunnel is very clear to see.

Hope this helps with your research.

Cheers

Swany

This is Peter and Beverley's car. It is on the market but I think they are considering retaining it.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: King Cobra, QLD - 347 windsor
Not Ranked     

Been off line for a couple of days.....

Byron Cobra - if you need any more info about the Dave King version of the car (still building out of Roma QLD) just pm me or ring Dave. The mobile number is correct. Live Axle XF LSD rear, combination of TE cortina upper and lowers on front with XF spindle.
Bigger car, tall people with big feet, no dramas fitting in. Dave King is 6'5".

Regards
Hogster
Old 03-07-2008, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Hogster
I'll give Dave a call.
I'm 5'8", I guess with an adjustable seat that shouldn't be a problem?!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncobra View Post
I'm 5'8", I guess with an adjustable seat that shouldn't be a problem?!
Mate, you are the perfect size for a Cobra. I'm 5'10" and being shorter/smaller really has been an advantage for me in these type of cars.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Craig
I was thinking that with me considering the part built De type with the longer cockpit, that i'd struggle to double shuffle without having to move the seat forward!
Greg
Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Yeah, sorry I wasn't thinking like that.

You are the prefect size for a standard size Cobra.

You would be swimming in a De Type.