Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 03-15-2008, 01:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Not Ranked     
Default A topic not entirely to do with Cobras

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind me posting this "off the forum topic" question...

What's your views on what is the best Towing Dual Cab Vehicle on the Australian Market out there right now?

I have the need to regularly tow a trailer that loaded (including the weight of the trailer) will weigh between 3100 kgs - 3300 kgs.

I was trying to avoid the F250 option because they are so dammed expensive, and towing this heavy a load is simply too much for the Hilux/Navara/Rodeo type dual cabs...

Anyone had any experience with towing this type of weight?

Anyone had any towing experience with the LandRover Defender 130 Dual Cab....It's rated to tow 3500kgs, but the vehicle is not that heavy, and I can't help but think that you might get pushed around with the load?

Regards......Paul
Old 03-15-2008, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

My Discovery tows the Cobra on the tandem great. It's only a 2.5 litre turbo diesel but it seems to develop plenty of torque. The same motor is used in the Defender. I reckon car and trailer probably only weigh about 1700KG though.

I think you should look at something bigger for that wieght of trailer.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 03-15-2008 at 04:19 PM..
Old 03-15-2008, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

An LS7 powered SPF should be able to pull just about anything!!!

Seriously though, an auto SS Crewman (tuned to do the job of course), should do the job for you, with some performance to spare. You can even have the auto trans parameters altered to suit your personal taste....
Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

The choice will be something that will legally tow 3.5 tonnes or more like patrols, landcruiser, landrovers, F Series trucks or bigger. Just be aware of your towball weight as that could effect towing capacity.
Over the years there has been towing tests in different 4 wheel drive magazines and the landrovers always get positive comments on their ability as a tow vehicle.
I know a couple of people that tow loads over 3 tonnes, one use a late model 4.2 ltr turbocharged Patrol and the other has a late model 6 cyl petrol landcruiser ute. They both are happy with the towing ability of their vehicles.

Warren
Old 03-15-2008, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think a couple of the things that help my Land Rover with towing are the air bags in the back with the self leveling suspension and the the A.C.E. (Active Cornering Enhancement). It's got hydraulic sway bars that stiffen up and preload the suspension as ot turns into a corner. It corners amazingly flat for a big 4x4. I think this might help with stopping the trailer pushing the vehicle around.

Cheers

Old 03-18-2008, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your replies guys...

Bobby, I think the Crewman will certainly have the grunt, but I suspect that I'd rip the back out of the car in no time and it would probably be a scary drive with the tow weight significantly exceeding the tow vehicle weight (not to mention the legal side of things!)...

I agree, the full sized 4X4 cars like the Patrol/Landcruiser/Discovery would do the job and they are certainly legally rated to tow that weight....it's just that I really wanted a Dual Cab! Hence my thinking of the Defender 130.

In the US, there would be a number of reasonably priced choices of full size dual cab "trucks" like the F series, GMC, Silverado, ect... Yo'd think that there would be a market for a full sized dual cab in Aus would'nt you?

Regards.......Paul
Old 03-18-2008, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Defender would certainly be strong enough. They are built solid.

You can get the TD5 ECU reflashed and they make significantly more torque and power. I had mine done a last year and it transformed it. It makes the same power now as the new TDV6 but my Disco 2 is lighter than the Disco 3 so it gets along OK.

The later series 2 Discos have a larger intercooler and the ECU can be reflashed rather than chipped. standard they make 101KW and the reflash takes them to over 130KW with more than 400NM of torque. The Defender should produce similar numbers.

I'd get on some of the 4x4 forums and ask their opinions. A lot of these guys use them to tow big caravans around.

Cheers

Old 03-18-2008, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

This is an interesting thread for me right now - my partner's Disco II got run off the Monash Fwy a month ago and we got a couple of grand from the insurance payout. She needs a 4WD to tow her 1700kg horse and float about once a month. The problem is, she does lots of kms for work so it needs to be frugal (for a 4WD).

The new XT Forester's towing capacity has been downgraded to 1300kg (and the interior is really cheap) so that's out. The new Prado diesel looks good but when you add ABS and cruise it's well over 50k.

Mike, how reliable have you found the turbo diesel Disco? We had the petrol V8 and it drank heaps, plus the ABS module had recently gone and it was going to be $3000 to replace.

Any other suggestions for a used 4WD under 10 grand that will last another 5-10 years? That leaves her some change for a new daily driver.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Sambo,

We've got horses as well and if you're only talking 1700kg total, then I would have thought that most real 4x4's will do the job easily....even the smaller 4x4s like the Navara/Hilux dual cabs will do.

We've got a 2003 Diesel Navara Dual Cab (rated at around 2800kg) and a 2000 series 2 V8 Landrover Discovery (rated at 3500kg) and they both pull a double horse float with 2 medium sized horses (around 2200kg) very well- particularly the Disco...

My issue is that we are now needing to tow an increased weight and I need a dual cab that can tow like the Disco or better!

If the 4x4 is just a tow vehicle and it's only being used 1-2 times a month, then I'd stick with a petrol V8 because you get a lot of petrol 4x4 for not a lot of money! Our 2000 V8 Disco is not worth much these days and you're right they're pretty thirsty!

Regards......Paul
Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

You get a lot of 4WD second hand - Nissan Patrols from the mid 1990s are often well under $10k.

Maybe consider LPG vehicles - drops the running costs considerably

LoBelly
Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

If your not too fussed on the condition of the car (I am talking cosmetic) then I can let you know what cars we have for sale through my job.

We sell about 12 - 15 cars per year, they are all less than 4 years old or 150000kls.
We replace them at this interval as this is when the extended factory warranty expires.

Our fleet is all Toyota Troop carrier and Toyota 100 series diesel non turbo manual.

All cars have been very well maintained as far as mechanicals are concerned but all will have some sort of interior or body damage.

Price is generally $14,000 for a Troopy or $16,000 for a 100 series.

Both these cars insurance value puts them at over $30,000 each.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks boxhead. I'll put it to the boss and get back to you.

Paul - we won't be buying another Disco II but you're right, plenty of petrol 4WDs around - just a matter of getting a good example that has been well maintained.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Trailer

You could always get yourself one of these...see below.. Fully imported to AUS std's all aircraft grade aluminium.... Trailer ways 540Kg.. Ute can tow up to 1600Kg but I wouldn't be using it to tow this sorta thing around all the time.....

For long hauls I use my old 1977 Rangie.. 5 ltrs under the bonnet and will pull a semi... Just not oevrly comfortable... but cheap!

http://www.cobracarclubqld.org.au/Ne...wickPhotosInfo

SpookyPT
Old 03-19-2008, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB. Engine out :)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plums View Post
An LS7 powered SPF should be able to pull just about anything!!!

Seriously though, an auto SS Crewman (tuned to do the job of course), should do the job for you, with some performance to spare. You can even have the auto trans parameters altered to suit your personal taste....

Let me just say , I tow my car and trailer with a SS crewman and boy let me tell you If the cobra had a tow bar I would have torched the ute and left it by the side of the road and brought the trailer home.
Dont even think about it, not to mention you need a tanker following close behind to fuel up every 250 km, definately needs major tuning to be half reasonable to tow

Last edited by acecob; 03-19-2008 at 03:31 AM..
Old 03-19-2008, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've had my Disco for a bit over a year now and I've done about 30,000KM. It hasn't missed a beat. I have to say it's been a very satisfying vehicle to own. It's comfortable and I enjoy driving it.

For a big heavy 4x4 it get's surprisingly good fuel economy. On a long trip I get about 10.5 to 11 litres per 100KM which equates to more than 800KM out of it's 90 litre tank. around town it drops back to about 13-14L/100 and I get about 650KM out of a tank. Towing the trailer with the Cobra on it I get about 14-15L/100 (about 600KM out of a tank).

Afriend of mine is a LandRover mechanic and I consulted him on the one to get. I had to search for a while but I found an 03 "S" model TD5 Auto 7 seater with ACE. the 03-04 models had the updated headlights, a new ECU and a larger intercooler. 7 seats means it's got self leveling suspension with air bags in the back which has been great for towing. The ACE makes it corner like its on rails. It sits flat on the road and doesn't wallow around like a lot of 4 wheel drives.

Now that it's chipped it makes more torque than the V8 and in a drag would probably give the petrol V8 a good run. It certainly has no trouble getting moving with the trailer behind although it will shift down on the hills.

Cheers

Old 03-19-2008, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Mike, that narrows it down substantially. If/when we find something suitable I'll be in touch regarding the chip.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Works for me....

Old 03-19-2008, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecob View Post
Let me just say , I tow my car and trailer with a SS crewman and boy let me tell you If the cobra had a tow bar I would have torched the ute and left it by the side of the road and brought the trailer home.
Dont even think about it, not to mention you need a tanker following close behind to fuel up every 250 km, definately needs major tuning to be half reasonable to tow
Sounds like you need to get a tune then

Or buy a Ford to tow your Ford....
Old 03-19-2008, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I get 11L to the 100K normal and 15.7L to the 100K towing car and trailer.. with auto 5.7Ltr Chev. Off course looking to do a LEXUS conversion on the ute soon though!!: -)
Old 03-19-2008, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's a beaut looking trailer there Spooky.

Cheers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: