Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 03-24-2008, 11:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB. Engine out :)
Not Ranked     
Default Post your times

Hey Wazza and Co, how were the drags on Friday, are we going to see some times posted,
Come on don't be shy guys.
Give us the low down , who's the King
Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Talking quick time.

well lets see wazza was apprently running street tyres and will have an impressive list of excuses why he could deliver an 11 again i will let him explain but mid 12's were the order of the nite .
my best time to date in the claped out old celica straight of the track was 11.74 at 126.5 mph . not bad for a car meant to go around corners fast. not drags.
the same engine and trans will be going in the new race cobra that matt and i are building. so it should be nearly as fast though with the taller gearing it will be slower off the line .i calculated the top speed with the new gearing and tyre sizes 3rd at 6500 rpm is 257kph and top at 6500 is 312 kph
if we rev it too 7500 which is doable and get enough hp which is doable it would go 360 kph not allowing for trans slip 225 mph less 5% slip = 213 mph .
need along road and big gangollies to do that in a cobra.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

I did run the usual street tyres, missed gears and all the usual excuses, but still had a good time.
Not a QUICK time...but a good time.

Peter "Chunky" Hancock snapped a drive shaft on the line.
Another Cobra ( Ian Burston's old car )...new owner....also had some major malfunction, and also went home on a trailer.

Extremely busy night with only three runs for me, maybe four for the others, as I got there an hour late.

The Toowoomba lads all came down and had a ball also.

The general wash up was that the Toowoomba lads ranged from 12.8 to about 13.5 which is not bad at all.
Peter was only getting warmed up with a 12.8 when he broke that drive shaft.
Jodie Hancock ran a flat 13, ( Probably weakened the drive shaft, before she handed it back to Peter )
I had a 12.35, ( Missed fourth on that run...excuses, excuses, excuses.

and Wayne Proctor had the quickest time at 12.11........pretty quick considering the conditions.

I recon it's hard to get everything right, when you've been staging for one and a half hours.

Big rush of blood when you FINALLY get a run,,,but all in all everyone was pretty happy with their efforts, and we got to see a ton of very quick cars.

Warren

Last edited by Wazza; 03-26-2008 at 12:52 AM..
Old 03-26-2008, 12:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZVENOM View Post
well lets see wazza was apprently running street tyres and will have an impressive list of excuses why he could deliver an 11 again i will let him explain but mid 12's were the order of the nite .
my best time to date in the claped out old celica straight of the track was 11.74 at 126.5 mph . not bad for a car meant to go around corners fast. not drags.
the same engine and trans will be going in the new race cobra that matt and i are building. so it should be nearly as fast though with the taller gearing it will be slower off the line .i calculated the top speed with the new gearing and tyre sizes 3rd at 6500 rpm is 257kph and top at 6500 is 312 kph
if we rev it too 7500 which is doable and get enough hp which is doable it would go 360 kph not allowing for trans slip 225 mph less 5% slip = 213 mph .
The only way I could get the little red wagon up to those speeds was if I drove it off a cliff !!
Looks like the red racer will be getting a reaming over the coming years !!!
I hope they kiss me first or buy me a drink at least.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB. Engine out :)
Not Ranked     

Great times guys,
Hey when are you guys going to organise a Big Cobra event so we can come up there for a w/end or week 2 weeks maybe. drags one day and sprints the next day that would be the ultimate I reckon. I'm sure there will be a few interested in something like that.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Lets get together

That is a great Idea, I would certainly goin in if you guys up there put something on.

I have even got a new pair of double pluggers (thongs) just for racing.

Wazza, thinking about coming up and doing the indy thing with you guys looks like a lot of fun.

Will you guys be doing anything with that next time it is on.

Phil
Old 03-27-2008, 01:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZVENOM View Post
.i calculated the top speed with the new gearing and tyre sizes 3rd at 6500 rpm is 257kph and top at 6500 is 312 kph
C'mon mate - getting a bit carried away with the laws of physics there...
HP required to push a Cobra's aerodynamic deficiencies would be substantial. Not to say that it can't be done, but you'd want 4-digit power figures to pull it off. Now, having said that - if you build it, and achieve the results on the salt flats, there'll probably be any number of Cobra fanatics "pulling it off" that you had pulled it off... (so to speak)
Old 03-27-2008, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
C'mon mate - getting a bit carried away with the laws of physics there...
HP required to push a Cobra's aerodynamic deficiencies would be substantial. Not to say that it can't be done, but you'd want 4-digit power figures to pull it off. Now, having said that - if you build it, and achieve the results on the salt flats, there'll probably be any number of Cobra fanatics "pulling it off" that you had pulled it off... (so to speak)
You might be on the money there Craig......Scotty might be using " Five Digit Power " on those calculations !!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post
That is a great Idea, I would certainly goin in if you guys up there put something on.

I have even got a new pair of double pluggers (thongs) just for racing.

Wazza, thinking about coming up and doing the indy thing with you guys looks like a lot of fun.

Will you guys be doing anything with that next time it is on.

Phil
I'll see what I can come up with, for a "special" few days up in Queensland, and get back to you.

Drags / sprints / drinks / b.b.q./ show and shine etc. etc.

Also,

I will make sure you're included in any Indy parades we do this year.

Regards,

Warren.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Cool Hp no problem.

Craig its all theory untill you get the car going i did say calculations it was only few years ago when the nascar boys said that for every mph over 200 mph you need another 10 hp to get one more mph.
it sounds cool to say it is capable of doing it . I have a gt45 turbo on the shelf its rated to 1000hp so all i need now is a pair of gangollies to go with the turbo. if i wanted to go 200 mph i guess i could build a cobra to do . the celica got to a 126mph in 400 meters so what can happen over several thousand meters i know there is a big differance between 126 and 200 but at least i am over 1/2 way.
Craig did you ever work out how fast you beast went in top on the limiter now lets see from memory you had 3.0 gears and a 285/40/17 or 45 rear tyre top gear in a glide is 1 to 1 i guess revlimit 7500

so a rollout dia of 660mm circum of 2072mm thats 2500 rpm x 60 = 150000 rph x 2.072 mtrs divided by 1000 = kph of 310 not far from 200 mph 193 mph that is with a 40 profile. with a 45 profile it would be 324 kph or 202.5 mph. its all just theory i have not allowed for slipage craigs trans builder would be the one to tell us that number.

please Paul no corrections on my maths.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Dunno Scotty - never been over the speed limit in my life... (but good memory on the specs, you're spot on with gearing and tyre sizes. Jeez, don't you ever forget anything?!?)

I'm over at Mum and Dad's house, and I've just had a look at the Cobra - sitting out in the BBQ area under a cover. What a shame it's not getting more use! Having said that, the money's in the mechanicals, so we'll see if the motor can't find it's way into an RCR40 with a couple of turbos. And so begins the plotting and scheming...!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 0-200-0

For some reason I could not make a thread alone on this so I put it in here. Heffner Ford GT1000TT 0-200-0 in 26.5 seconds,, 1/4 mile in 10.6 @ 152mph,,0-200 in 18.9 seconds,, 0-200-0 braking 1089 feet. now thats bad ass. so any one want to run him LOL...
Old 03-28-2008, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
so we'll see if the motor can't find it's way into an RCR40 with a couple of turbos. And so begins the plotting and scheming...!
Craig I woulda bet me b**lz you had a liking for the RCR T70. Some1 hasta give that Hatfield fella a run for his money.

Ifin I can put a chev in a cobra ... you can put a ford in a lola.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

I reckon my Cobra would crack into the 13's. I think that's more than fast enough considering my missus is driving it.

I've got no doubt that Ozvenom will be able to achieve those figures, he is a man without limits and balls to match.

Craig, I've got an RCR40 coming with your name on it.

I'll let you know when the demo RCR40 is here in Brissy. Would be a good excuse to catch up. I expect it wouldn't be hard to get Don to pop on over with you as well.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427/SC. 0961
Not Ranked     
Cool

My car driven by an unbiased third party (Samuel Hubinette "The Crazy
Swede." ) for a video series "Head2Head" turned 12:02. It was up against a Spyker which didnt fare so well. It will be aired toward the end of April. I am looking forward to it.

pics below
http://web.mac.com/klay1/iWeb/Site/Head2Head.html

http://web.mac.com/klay1/iWeb/Site/S...e%20Cobra.html
Old 03-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default Good job Karl

Nice car and pics krazykarl

Have never seen Head 2 Head but 'your' episode looks pretty interesting

Do you know of anywhere on the 'net we can see it?

LoBelly
Old 03-30-2008, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427/SC. 0961
Not Ranked     

LoBelly,
It is suppose to be launched on torqueTV.net toward the end of April. I will keep it posted as soon as I get confirmation.
Karl

http://web.mac.com/klay1/iWeb/Site/S...e%20Cobra.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: