Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, GenIII
Not Ranked     
Default Interstate transfer to rego in Vic

I've seen the question asked a few times here on the forum, so I thought I'd give my experience of the transfer of an interstate car onto Victorian plates.

I finally managed to get through it today after a number of hiccups along the way. Not a moment too soon, as the Qld registration of the previous owner was due to expire tomorrow!!

The Vicroads component was actually quite simple, albeit with one small bureaucratic issue along the way. I'd been told that a physical inspection wasn't required but certain paperwork was, so I trundled into VicRoads last week with the required papers.

"Ahh, that's great, we see you have all the appropriate paperwork, but you haven't made an appointment" says the friendly girl behind the counter.
"But I was told over the phone that I just needed to provide the paperwork," says I.
"Unfortunately this has been transferred from interstate, but it was previously owned / registered by someone other than you, so we need an inspection. No, not a physical inspection but an inspection to evaluate your paperwork," she says, again with a smile.
"But I have all the paperwork here, why don't you take a photocopy and call me if there are any dramas?"
"No, you'll need to make an appointment. But unfortunately there aren't any spots free today, so you'll have to come back after Easter."
Off I go with my tail between my legs.

I'm not certain of the minimum set of papers that are required, but the ones cited on my return to VicRoads today were:
  • proof of ownership (I provided a contract of sale and also had a fully completed set of part A and part B of the Qld transfer forms available as backup). The contract of sale must be signed by the new & previous operators and state the full name and address of the new & previous operator, as well as the agreed $'s (obviously), but I also included VIN, engine number, etc on it
  • roadworthy certificate (a small drama with this, as the certifier had made a small typo on the VIN, so VicRoads suggested that I go home and collect the Cobra for a visual inspection of the VIN just to make sure. Luckily I'm only 10 mins from VR and VR agreed to allow me to come back later, which they weren't obliged to do).
  • proof of current registration (I simply pulled the old rego sticker from the car window to prove that it expires tomorrow, but I'm sure other paperwork would also suffice)
  • other VR staff had indicated I needed to provide proof of address (to prove I reside in Vic), so a bill, rates notice, etc with my name would do the trick. I wasn't asked to show this one though
  • Current driver's licence
  • I think that's all they needed, but I had bundles of other paperwork that was available for x-ref purposes
  • it might also be worthwhile checking out the VR interstate transfer form to ensure you have all the facts n figures about your car (eg make = INDCONV, outward facing wheels = 4, engine number, intial registration date, etc, etc). Given that most of you know every intricate statistic about your Cobra, this one should be easy
They then looked up the system to confirm that the new VIC personal plates were registered in my name and said all was ready to go following payment.

And one final important note for the un-initiated - you have to pay on the day, or else you'll have to come back for another appointment. With stamp duty, rego, plate transfer, etc, the damage will probably come in well over $2k, so if you have an EFTPOS limit of $1k for example, I'd suggest you pre-plan the financials.

Anyway, despite the various sagas along the way, it was way easier than building it myself (not that I could even if I wanted to!!)

Thanks to the VicRoads staff at Bundoora who were really helpful. Luckily for me, they were keen to see my INDCONV on the roads, a situation that others haven't experienced.

Happy transferrals.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Buddy23

Good to hear that you have had success.

Let me say the hardest thing in life is to make an appointment over the phone. I held on over four seperate occassions for over 45 minutes and did not get through.

In the end I managed to get through after leaving a phone number and they rang back.

A similiar story to yours once there.

The only thing I would add is that you need a weigh bridge ticket or the weight figure on your current registration. Most rego's have the weight on them.

Cheers
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 03-25-2008, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Knight View Post
The only thing I would add is that you need a weigh bridge ticket or the weight figure on your current registration. Most rego's have the weight on them.
Hi Bernie,

I think I got lucky on the weigh bridge ticket. I couldn't find the weight in any of the paperwork that the original owner / builder sent down. It didn't seem to be on the Qld rego papers surprisingly.

When the girl from VR asked how much it weighed, I said "I reckon it's about 1200kg". She simply said, "yeah, that sounds about right" and wrote it in on the form for me. I am interested in finding out how much it really weighs though!

PS. I love your GT40 Bernie. I was one of the envious onlookers at ShelbyFest..... Hopefully I can live that dream one day too.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Buddy

I think about 1050kg or thereabouts.

The Gt40 is going through a major engine tidy up with throttle bodies, AFR heads, cam etc etc.

Then to start the interior tidy up. It was a good basis to work with though..

The Cobra looks great if I have the right photo from your gallery.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

We don't weigh them up here in QLD for registration, so that's why no weight on the QLD rego cert.

It will definitely weigh less than 1200kg, by looking at the fittings, wheels etc on it and considering drivetrain it uses, around 1100kg would be a good guess. Bernie could be right, it could be less than 1100kg.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think about 1050kg or thereabouts.
Wow! Didn't realise it was going to come in that light!!

Quote:
The Gt40 is going through a major engine tidy up with throttle bodies, AFR heads, cam etc etc.

Then to start the interior tidy up. It was a good basis to work with though..
I look forward to seeing the GT40 again after the next batch of work.

Quote:
The Cobra looks great if I have the right photo from your gallery.
Yup, that's mine. It has new plates now though
Old 04-03-2008, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy23 View Post

And one final important note for the un-initiated - you have to pay on the day, or else you'll have to come back for another appointment. With stamp duty, rego, plate transfer, etc, the damage will probably come in well over $2k, so if you have an EFTPOS limit of $1k for example, I'd suggest you pre-plan the financials.

Serious? $2K just to register a car in Vic that was previously registered in QLD?

You mention stamp duty. I take it this is based on the purchase price and you didnt pay it in QLD?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeyluke View Post
Serious? $2K just to register a car in Vic that was previously registered in QLD?

You mention stamp duty. I take it this is based on the purchase price and you didnt pay it in QLD?
Hi Flukeyluke,

Yes, the stamp duty is payable to VicRoads and that forms the major component of the $.
That's applicable for any car that you transfer, not just INDCONVs.

The following URL shows the fee calculator
http://webapps.vicroads.vic.gov.au/v...OpenForm#calc2

Not sure, but perhaps the seller also has to pay some sort of duty to Qld Transport.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

A new car stamp duty is $5 / $200 valued amount. Of course the cheaper you say the car is the less the duty but these days the Vicroads guys will challenge a stupid value claim without some proof. At rego. I said my car was worth $29,200 and had a spreadsheet to prove?? this. Probably only a few thousand shy but better in my pocket than the Governments!!

Transfer of a second hand car though is $7 or $8 / $200 value and that all adds up. Then there was the rego, TAC fee and stamp duty and in my case the plates transfer off another car, so reissue fee, blah, blah, blah and $1400 odd dollars thank you very much.

But at the end of the day, you want the car registered and you can drive it away so woo hoo all is good!!

I gather transfer from Qld or Tassie necessitates a vehicle inspection but it's all just process in the end.

Cheers
Old 04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mmmm then go and buy a house in Victoria.

One of my young staff just received her First Home Owners grant from the Government and the Victorian Stamp duty just took the lot and more.

Mmmm $14,650 stamp duty for a home under $300,000
Old 04-04-2008, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
A new car stamp duty is $5 / $200 valued amount. Of course the cheaper you say the car is the less the duty but these days the Vicroads guys will challenge a stupid value claim without some proof. At rego. I said my car was worth $29,200 and had a spreadsheet to prove?? this. Probably only a few thousand shy but better in my pocket than the Governments!!

Transfer of a second hand car though is $7 or $8 / $200 value and that all adds up. Then there was the rego, TAC fee and stamp duty and in my case the plates transfer off another car, so reissue fee, blah, blah, blah and $1400 odd dollars thank you very much.

But at the end of the day, you want the car registered and you can drive it away so woo hoo all is good!!

I gather transfer from Qld or Tassie necessitates a vehicle inspection but it's all just process in the end.

Cheers
The $$ make sence when you understand it includes the stamp duty.
When the vehicle inspection is done in Vic, do things like working side pipes get defected?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Not sure if they term them defective or simply say it doesn't comply with ADR's so take them off and fit a compliant system.

If items and not considered legal in our State eg side pipes, you just wont get to the end of the process until you have presented a compliant car.

Whether they check properly to find out is another matter.