Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Best source for engines

Anyone had any exerience with buying write-offs at auction and salvaging the engine, trans, loom etc etc?

I'm looking at $2-3k for an '02 XR8 ute for example, fitted with the last of the Windsors and 6sp box. Much the same for a GM Maloo ute with 5.7l donk and
6 speed.

Obviously I'd avoid a car with front impact damage, whats the likelyhood of internal damage to the drivetrain?

If carefully selected maybe I'd flog off the leftovers and end up making dough
Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

If you can buy trashed GEN III 6 speed Malloo's for $2 - $3K you had better snap them up real quick..... That's a screaming bargain!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

is this for a new built corba just make sure yr allowed to run them

as u cant run old engines

ford engines are also a pain to remove security so u either have to run half the crap under the dash or find someone who emoves security not many around and very expensive when compared to the holdens which are piss easy

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 04-11-2008, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Those prices sound pretty good.

If you have the space, time & motivation, buying write-offs is the cheapest way of sourcing engine/gearbox. You have to sell off the other parts though to get the price down.

Guys, Byron is registering the Cobra in QLD, so can run any ADR 37/01 engine.

In regards to the Ford security.

In AUI & AUII you have Smartlock. This is easy to by-pass, you can get it disabled in the ECU by dyno shops or buy a flashtuner module so you can disable and make other tuning changes.

In AUIII you have Smartshield. This is harder to bypass. Probably the easiest way is to fit the ignition with key and BOM to fit it to your Cobra. You could also just plug in an earlier ECU, but that's not an emissions compliant way to do it.

If you are looking at AU XR8 falcon engines, the later the series the more power they have.

My brother bought a Ford engine a few weeks ago - AUIII Tickford XR8. 220kw, handbuilt engine by Tickford, even had a factory oil cooler.

Note the Tickfords(non-strokers) do not have any extra power on paper compared to a standard XR8.

I personally wouldn't be turned off by front damage, if it's enough front-damage to impact the pulleys & front accessories, that's where you start to walk away. Cars with front damage should be cheaper.

It's a lot better if you can still start the engine, lessons the risk. Same as if you buy the engine/box from a wreckers, at least you get some sort of warranty support.

Also note that you can feed the AU falcon engine looms back through the firewall, so whichever way you go, do not cut off or anyone cut the harness off to get it out.

Have fun.

Last edited by 400TT; 04-11-2008 at 08:47 PM..
Old 04-11-2008, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all that.

You're a wealth of info Craig......... Peter at DRB suggested a ute (at the time he was talking a Boss XR8 which now won't fit in the Harrison) as the loom is about the right length for a Cob As the chassis is the same length in a ute or sedan I can't really follow this however I guess he should know.

On what years did the AU series change from 1, 11 then 111?

For a comparo, what did the Tickford cost that your brother bought?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

$2800 for 2002 tickford with all the required parts, inc. ECU, maf, loom, O2 sensors etc. We saw the vehicle it came from and had minimal front end damage. Came from a local wrecker, so you get a warranty of sorts.

The engines ranged from $2000 - $3000 depending on year, k's and features. Gearboxes were extra.

The only date you need to remember is 2002. The Ford's changed from AUII to AUIII in 2002. Just do a google to get the specifics of the model change.

The ute's are longer than he sedans.

Also remember the ECU's are different depending on transmission, so auto ecu is different from a manual ecu.

As a comparison I can source complete EFI 90 model Mustang HO engines full reconditioned for around US$2k + delivery. But delivery for me from the USA is no problem these days. That's without T5, but keeping the original T5 in the package is not expensive anyway.

Last edited by 400TT; 04-11-2008 at 04:38 PM..
Old 04-11-2008, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all that Craig

Sounds for similar money to buying a wreck that an engine/trans setup may be less hassle than buying/transporting/breaking down a wreck. I'm wondering also l how much else is really usable.

Considering that I live outside a metro area, shifting leftover parts may be a challenge as well.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure about how much you could use. There would certainly be some money in selling off the unused parts.

On the Harrison we built, we bought an import front-cut to source the Lexus engine. We also used the radiator from the front-cut and a lot of other smaller parts.

The amazing thing was that by the time we sold the power steering pump, AC compressor, air bag suspension and the other big items, we ended up recouping a fair bit of the purchase price. But that sort of stuff was in demand for the Lexus engines as it was hard to get. Not sure if it would be the same for Ford/Holden.

It's a tough choice, there are pros/cons to both approaches.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

If you wish to use the computer from the AUII XR8 or the AUIII then you will need the "body control module" BCM as well as the main computer otherwise smart shield will never let you start the car. Try and get the ignition barrel and original keys as this will save you a lot of hassel.

Hi 400TT, when you say the Tickfords did not have any more power (on paper) than the standard XR8. As far as I am aware all the 220kw motors were Tickfords, thats how they got to 220kw from 200kw and 185kw on earlier ones. Compared to the 200kw engines the 220kw engines had the same heads but with bigger valves plus Tickford did CNC porting and matching. The lower intake manifold was port matched and they also ran a 70mm throttle body (65mm on the 200kw). Fuel pressure was increased from 2.8bar to 3.5bar
Old 04-11-2008, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Cameron, I'm certainly no expert on the AU Falcons, but have been around long enough to see quite a few in Cobras & GT40s.

When looking at engines we only looked at 1 x AUIII and it had Tickford badges all over it and the 220kw sticker on the back. It's also the one we got the engine from. So I don't doubt it. Interesting to know.

Cameron did yours also have a factory oil cooler?

Last edited by 400TT; 04-12-2008 at 02:16 AM..
Old 04-12-2008, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Byron

If you are prepared to fiddle with parts then you should be able to scrounge a lot more off a wreck and remanufacture it to fit the cobra.

If I did it again I would buy a wreck and do it that way.

If you buy a ute and can use the brake parts, master-booster, the bias/balance settings will also be comparable to the cobra weight distribution. You may also be able to fit the fuel tank out of a ute, depends on shape, but the design is likely to be closer to matching a restricted cobra.

Ford yes the stroker security is harder to get around if you don't use all the standard bits but I'd try the plug and play option with the full loom. I'd agree playing with the Ford ECU is harder too so it depends if you don't care which brand you use.

Cheers
Old 04-15-2008, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

It'll be a while before we see second hand or crate versions of these new Ford engines, but 315kW is nothing to sneeze at!

New FPV Falcon
Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i think new ford engines suk asss

bloody hard to remove security

not many people do it so price is way more than a late model holden

we just did an l76 into a 2.5 tonne 2004 4wd patrol had 150 kws at all 4 wheels

then our friends at castle hill exhaust put a supercharger on it went up to 240 kws

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au