Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-16-2008, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     
Smile Hello from another (almost) newbie

Hello everyone,

I am from Melbourne VIC and I am just about to embark on purchasing a Classic Revival Kit (rolling chassis option) and have found an 5.7L LS1en3 engine/gearbox ecu, exhaust, cats etc.

I have been researching on and off for about 4 months now. I wish I had found this forum sooner though. You guys really are very helpful to each other. (I have studied a few threads)

Anyway my biggest hurdle was the whole engine side of things.

I got in touch with Bernie from Enkelman and he was very helpful in advising me on what my options are.

He said if I finished by the end of 2008 I could use an ADR790/00 - Euro2 setup, or end of 2009 use an ADR79/01 Euro 3. Basically he said you count back 3 years from the DOA.

I understand from reading a few of the posts there are some different views on this i.e. the applicable ADRs are when you receive your chassis etc.

I have confirmed twice with my engineer (Bernie) and am now seeking this in writing just to make sure. Appreciate anyone who has found VicRoads overriding the VASS engineer.

I dont have a lot of time to muck around in the build so I am going for the bare minimum build to get rego. i.e. no paint, minimum trim etc. Also rolling chassis option with suspension, steering, brakes and fuel lines/tank etc.

I have 3 teenage sons to help me - lucky me :-)

I am also going to purchase the "minumum required" items rather than scrounging in wreckers just to save time. Once it is registered then I'll take my time to finish properly.

The guy I am sourcing the engine/gearbox from (VY SS Series 2), is also going to get the VATS removed from the ECU etc.

My first Question:
Can anyone advise on the bare minimum you need to get registered in Victroria? i.e. Do you need bumbers?

Second Question:
Am I dreaming in attempting a "rolling chassis build" to be completed in 5 months. (Ian says it would takes 3 months to receive my rolling chassis)

Oh, lastly I wish to join the Vic Cobra Car Club, does anyone have the member app form/email address handy.

Thanks

Rgds

Gregg
Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Gregg, Welcome to our little world.

Melbourne must be the CR/GM capital of Oz. There are lots of them down there. I don't know exactly what that says about Melbourne but the builders/owners seem like a great bunch of blokes.

Don't tell em I said that

I'll let them answer your questions.

There are some rules in here you must respect.

Rule 1. Don't take offense at what any-one says.
Rule 2. Take no notice of what an owner of a ford powered cobra says.
Rule 3. If there any dispute then rule 1 & 2 apply.

Cheers and welcome to the mad house
Old 04-16-2008, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Not Ranked     

Les... Les...Les.....

Let me straighten this conversation out before you give this poor soul the wrong Impression...

Quote:
Rule 2. Take no notice of what an owner of a ford powered cobra says.
Ummm, There are only Ford Powered Cobras, the rest are just flash bodied go-carts

-- It's OK really, I have my flak jacket and flame proof undies on (mostly for the local restaurants -- see the SpookyPT thread for that connection)...

Cameron
Old 04-16-2008, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Cameron Sir, I shall not debate with you.

I saw what you fed to Spooky and that was under the guise of a friendly get-together. I heard he now purchases suppositories in bulk delivered by a very large truck.

Cheers for now
Old 04-16-2008, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the welcome.

I understand the GM/Ford thing.

Makes for great debates over a beer or two.

Looking forward to many posts with dumb questions.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB. Engine out :)
Not Ranked     

Will you be painting your cobra with a ford colour at least ?

1st dumb question
Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually I think I will be, blue with white stripes (I hope they are ford) :-)
Old 04-16-2008, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Car Club of Victoria Membership

Hi Gregg,

Please email me at either tony_cram@huntsman.com or atcram@bigpond.net.au I will send you a membership form. I am working on the website so you can download a membership form soon. www.cobracarclubvic.org.au

Better still come to the next meeting and you can join there if you like. Next meeting is 7th May at East Malvern RSL, Stanley Grose Drive East Malvern at about 7:30pm. This will be the AGM meeting as well so there will be some formalities to get through. You are most welcome to come along and find out what it is all about. And yes there are many Classic Revival members who would be very happy to talk about their cars.

Cheers

Tony
Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Gregg, congrats and welcome to the mad house.

My brother and I built a Harrison in about 5 months part time that's from the time we receive the chassis. Just the bare essentials, no paint, minimal interior, minimal body accessories. Not even a boot stay.

We did make sure all doner parts like suspension etc were all cleaned, painted and new bushes etc where required before being installed. We didn't want to have to pull that sort of stuff out.

What you want to be doing now(sounds like you are) is get the engine/gearbox ready to bolt in. All accessories sorted, engine loom etc.

Basically find as much as you can to do without the chassis. Do a lot of the shopping, get the dash sorted and wired. There are lots of things you can do and get ready without having the car there. Even if you have to pop down to CR or fellow CR owners and take some measurements/templates etc.

We had to wait 2 months for our chassis and we had the engine/gearbox and all the suspension, diff etc all ready to bolt in by the time the chassis arrived. It made for very quickly assembly early in the piece.

It can be done, but you will need to be committed. Nothing like a deadline to move things along and keep you focussed.

Enjoy.

Last edited by 400TT; 04-16-2008 at 05:52 AM..
Old 04-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And yes there are many Classic Revival members who would be very happy to talk about their cars

Try stopping them...

and welcome Gregg - the CCCV is the centre of excellence for Cobra builds in South-East Australia - bring your questions and ask away.

Your engineer has the last say in the minimum requirement - you don't need bumbers (who does)
You might want to consider the Aussie Mike approach and forgo the windscreen to bypass those requirements
If you have the money to buy all the bits and are able to source them before you need them then 5 months is do-able.

good luck

LoBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 04-16-2008 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: quote misadventure
Old 04-16-2008, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lobelly, good idea with the Aussie Mike Windscreen Approach(AMWA).
Old 04-16-2008, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Dont need bumpers - and I well known NSW CR guy had his car ready for engineering in 3 months....he's built it 2 more times since though! Are you getting one of the new CR chassis?

Also if looking for a engine box consider new. There are terrific deals around on L76\L98\LS2 engines and T56's. There isnt a swag of older commodore owners transplanting in these 6lt engine for nothing. L76+cam = 300kw+ at the wheels.

Do fords come in beige?

Last edited by Tenrocca; 04-16-2008 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: added a bit
Old 04-16-2008, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default The first build

HI Gregg,
Congratulations on your purchase.

I had the same experience as you with my build, with the threat of the new ADRS coming into play I had about 3 months to finish my car to a standard that would pass engineering and registration.

I would check with your engineer, but there are many things you can do without. You will find that a very basic car, without bumpers, windscreen, wipers etc will pass.

The cr community is fairly strong and there will always be someone arround for advice or help, I know that there is an underbody exhaust system that a few guys have used for rego.

As you are not looking at ppainting straight away, ask Ian if he will used coloured Gel Coat when making the body, they can look quite good at a few paces. Craigs brother John, has done his this way and the car looks great.

I understand that there are few options on motor choices so if you have to build a rebodied comodore thats ok, we all cant have the best....

Good luck, enjoy your build.

Phil
Old 04-16-2008, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks evryone for your feedback.

I wasnt sure if 5 months was do able.

I was trying to obtain an earlier engine from a wreck etc, but I could only seem to source an older Euro 2 model - hence my need to finish by end of 2008. I really wante to use a donor vehicle/wreck to make sure I didnt have to source a lot of bits that dont come with a crate/new negine.

I am planning to get as much bits in advance as possible. I'll actually have the engine/gearbox ECU, Clutch Master Cylinder etc in advance as well as bits like seats, wiring harness, lights, belts, warning lights, radiator, fan etc.

I am hoping to hit the ground running as soome as the chassis/body arrives.

I am planning on going to the Vic Cobra Car Club AGM in early MAy, so hope to meet some of the VIC people.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I expect it will be a lot cheaper as well for an older euro2 engine.

Out of curiosity, how much are you looking at for engine & box & all required parts.

Is this ebay item in the ball park price wise, I thought they can be had for less money than that? Ebay Item: 280216276898

"Curently wrecking a Holden VY2004 SS crewman with a 6speed gearbox, 61 000kms, well sell complete running Gear conversion, Will give Warranty with the conversion , licensed motor dealer. $6500 But It Now in NSW"

VY Series II, that's a Euro2 compliant engine in my books.

Last edited by 400TT; 04-16-2008 at 05:12 PM..
Old 04-16-2008, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
Even if you have to pop down to CR or fellow CR owners and take some measurements/templates etc.

No point Craig, CR's are like finger prints.
"Everyone has one, but no 2 are alike".

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
I expect it will be a lot cheaper as well for an older euro2 engine.

Out of curiosity, how much are you looking at for engine & box & all required parts.

Is this ebay item in the ball park price wise, I thought they can be had for less money than that? Ebay Item: 280216276898

"Curently wrecking a Holden VY2004 SS crewman with a 6speed gearbox, 61 000kms, well sell complete running Gear conversion, Will give Warranty with the conversion , licensed motor dealer. $6500 But It Now in NSW"

VY Series II, that's a Euro2 compliant engine in my books.
Yep, my info tells me VY Series II is Euro 2.

The one I am looking at is on the Holden LS1 forum. Its got a lot more K's (>150K) on it, I am looking at $4500 for engine, gearbox, ECU, clutch pedal/cylinder, engine wiring harness and he said he'd even get the security removed from the ECU. I am going to NSW next week to have a first hand look. I was a bit concerned about the K's but I thought I'd put the engine in for rego and then reco it after its registered. The one on eBay looks interseting I might take a look at that as well as the lower K's look more attractive for not too much more. Other prices I have had for old VY series 1 combinations have been $7500, so $6500 looks interesting.

I have struggled to find any wreck/conversions for VZ Euro III. I have been trawling through eBay, Trading Post, Fowles/Manhiem, and about 10 different wrecker/salvage guys to no avail.

Ideally I would have liked a Euro III to give me til end of 2009.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Are you getting the new CR chassis with the VE rearend? Also are you getting body prepped by Ians painter? The doors and boot etc need a fair bit of work for them to fit nicely before paint so allow for that time. Have you looked at a holden dealer for a Brand new LS2 and T56? There was a few selling LS2s for around $4500. There is a thread on here about which dealers they were. You should be able to get it done in 5 months. Make sure you order all the bits you need now because thats what will hold you up. Ian says you can pull the engine out with the body on but it aint easy, pull the body off when you get the roller and fit everything then refit the body, There aint no way I can remove the radiator with the body on!!

Last edited by alffie; 04-16-2008 at 07:44 PM..
Old 04-16-2008, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

If you are aiming for rego before end of this year, you could also look for a 347 stroker Windsor from an AUIII or even a 220kW from an AUII / AUIII.

You did start by saying you just wanted to get it registered ASAP. Once registered, you can do what you would like to do without time constraints!

Cheers
Old 04-16-2008, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post
HI I understand that there are few options on motor choices so if you have to build a rebodied comodore thats ok, we all cant have the best....

Good luck, enjoy your build.

Phil
Subtle, very subtle note rule 2

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: