Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newby Cobra Guy - Tassie

HI Guys!

I am new to cobras and this forum so please go easy on me! I grew up dreaming of owning a cobra one day and a while ago I decided to take the plunge after years of dreaming and fluffing around with 911's and rotaries I purchased an early python with plenty or race history....log booked etc Car is bluue with white stripes, big simmons, anyone know it? it is on the pythonweb site as "how not to park a python"

She is a nice old thing completed 4 targa tasmania's the cannonball in 94 and various other events.....It is very well set up,even with a MG front end

The car has not been touched (excepting for maintenance ofcurse) at all since it was built in the early 90's but it has had a new tickford crate EBGT 302 with tricked up auto fitted a few years ago (soon to be replaced with tremec if the budget allows, or may go toploader....)
It is a fast car compared to the many 911's and rotors I have owned and raced, never had a V8 before -wish i had!I will use it for Targatas next year and the tassie hill climb scene....which will hopefully include Mt Wellington next year!!!

Not sure it there are many Mk 1 python's around anymore, anyoe on here got one?

Anyway hi to you all form Hobart!

Cheers

Mike!!!!!!1

Last edited by Tassiemike; 06-20-2008 at 05:10 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Welcome Tassiemike

Don't get too many Tasmanians or Python owners here.

Perhaps it's too cold for snakes in Tassie(?)

Post some pics and keep us updated on your progress

And good luck keeping it horizontal

LoBelly
Old 06-21-2008, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Hi Mike, congratulations on the Python and welcome.

Regards.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys

It does get a tad chlly down here at times, fortunatley the heat from the foot well/exhausts keeps things comfortable! I also have asoft top which makes a difference.

There are a few down here, i count three including mine, probably more.

Will stick up some pics when can, but truthfully it's not too different to the shot of it down the bank in Targa tas......less stckers of course.

I put it around Baskerville the other day and it turned a time only 2 seconds slower than my old tarmac rally rx7, i was a tad shocked allthough dont think it would maintain that pace with current street radials adn brakes!

I have two primary issues I would like to get your advice on!!!

1) Gearbox - The car is fitted wth a tickford modified late model auto, so all shiffting safety measures have been removed and it has a strange shifter arrangement....You can basically drve it like a manual. I want to fit my toploader to it because that seems like the "right thing" to do but the bloody thing is quite fast already and not sure if i will get much of a realistic benifit from the chage and $$$$$. Any advice from guys that have gone either way, remember I will use the car for targa and hill climbs.

2) The biggest problem BRAKES!!!!!!

Up front it is running commodore discs with VR clamps with NO booster and the Jag in board DISCS on the rear, I have run cars without a booster before but this thing really needs one even on the track.

Is anyone aware of a decent upgrade that will fit under 15's (I have 17's butI want to be able to use my hallibrands for street) that I can leave unboosted? Alternativley I can fit a booster and see what difference it makes?

ANY HELP AND ADVICE HERE APPRECIATED - I AM A TOUCH DESPERATE!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!

MIKE
Old 06-21-2008, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Welcome Mike!

Interesting car, we do not hear of many Pythons up here in NSW.

Ben
Old 06-21-2008, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

G'day Mike, welcome to the nut farm.

Re your brakes, have a read of this:
http://www.autospeed.co.nz/cms/A_0645/article.html

Maybe you're getting little rear brake effort. Also given the rear brakes are inboard they do tend to suffer fade quickly because they are out of a cooling air stream and also pick up heat from the engine/exhaust via the tunnel.

There is a vented rear rotor kit available from Spiteri (sp) Jag in melbourne. You use the same calipers but insert a spacer which comes with the kit.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Old 06-25-2008, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for that, i will check it out.....!

Yeah it feels like I am not getting much help from the rear now you mention it, does anyone have a suggestion for a front upgrade as well???? (still want to fit under 15" wheels)

Also any thoughts on the transmission question? Does anyone on here race a car with an auto? (tarmac and hill climbs not drag etc)

And another, does anyone know if there is a manufacturer of the le mans hard tops in Aus, i can only find a distributor in the UK....

Thanks for the advice guys, i am a newby but I learn quickly!

Cheers
tassiemike!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Mike, dunno if this is the overseas hardtop you're looking at but this one is just plain magic.

http://www.v8cobra.com/hardtop.html

There are a few of us toying with bringing one in.

Cheers
Old 06-25-2008, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Welcome Mike, from sunny Queensland. I would also be interested in one of those Le Mans-style hard tops - optional in winter here.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yeah thats it, just stunning - not sure on the fit though, might need mods......

is the idea to bring one in and take a mould?

i prefer a cob with one of these tops to a daytona, butthat jus my opinion!!

any other tassie guys on this forum?

cheers

tassiemike