Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, LSx Block
Send a message via ICQ to Tails Send a message via AIM to Tails Send a message via MSN to Tails Send a message via Yahoo to Tails
Not Ranked     
Default Exhaust FYI Guys

Little backstory on this. I've been searching for an exhaust setup that would work on the car. Well originally I was going to use a set of GTO manifolds but I found that they won't work with the mustang mounts I'm using. Mike gave me a few ideas along with making a set. Well my welding skills are subpar to say the least and I'm finding that the cost for a set is more than I want to spend at this time. So I've been searching for something to bolt up. I got an idea from the turbo fbody guys over on LS1tech. They use truck manifolds cause the collectors are moved infront of the motor for turbo placement. Well that's exactly what I need only I'm not running turbos....Yet I've also got a set of fbody shorty headers on the way to try fitment. Depending on how they fit I'll go from there. Here's a few pics incase anyone needs a visual idea for their setup..

Tails
Build Blog
First Start
Gokart
Let's Take A Ride
Old 07-08-2008, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

To get by registration without rushing out to buy new stuff that mightn't pass inspection I cut up two pairs of original manifolds and reassembled them to suit.[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Rob\My Documents\Cobra Pictures\Engine[/IMG]
I've done it again. I can't seem to insert an image...too thick i think.

Last edited by Rob. Smith; 07-08-2008 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: too thick to add a pic.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Rob, you need to upload the picture to your gallery on this forum, then link to that image inside your message. Don't worry, you're not thick... most people struggle with this.

Paul
Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, Pushrod 16 valve V-8, Aluminum block/heads, GM engine-control system with port fuel injection
Send a message via AIM to Ls6venom
Not Ranked     

Tails-
i had issues with exhaust for my ls6, my problem was that the stock manifolds hit the frame rails. what i did was made a 35 degree plate to bolt to the heads and then bolt the manifolds to the plate allowing them to clear the frame. however my kit is a E-M not a ffr. but looks like your well on your way! good job!

Danny
Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Tails Send a message via AIM to Tails Send a message via MSN to Tails Send a message via Yahoo to Tails
Not Ranked     

Rob, thanks for trying... I'm in the US so registration is a bit lienent on some of the requirements.

Danny, Yep same issue I had. The collector on the fbody headers is little further back towards the firewall so we'll see how they work. I'll post up my findings when they arrive. The only negative thing about these is it limits my H/C choices if I were to stay with them. Might have to get a of longtube headers made but I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it..

Tails
Build Blog
First Start
Gokart
Let's Take A Ride
Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, Pushrod 16 valve V-8, Aluminum block/heads, GM engine-control system with port fuel injection
Send a message via AIM to Ls6venom
Not Ranked     

Tails,
i wish you the best of luck with the headers, hopefully the f-body collectors do the trick for ya, i wouldn't be to worried about heads and cam options, my almost stock 02 LS6 pushes the heavy everett morrison car very nicely. That motor and a ffr car that is a good 300+ lbs lighter..... its going to fly!!! can't wait for an update and I am glad to see some more chevy power!! good job and good luck!
Danny
Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default L76 Exhaust

trails,

I had similar issues with my build (the builder did anyway)....

This is what they came up with....

I feel that there are some jobs you only need to do once, headers are one of them, so I spent the money on them. I will have to redo from the headers onwards after Rego but thems the joys of living in Australia....

stiffy
Old 07-09-2008, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Headers are pretty straightforward to build. Just buy a bunch of 90 and 45 degree bends and piece them together.

Start with the most difficult pipe first and then build forward from there. I cut the bends and then tape the sections together with masking tape as I fit the pipes together. When you're happy with how they run you can tack them together and check again.

Checking the fit with the body on:

All finished bar the rear mounts and ceramic coating

You can buy most of the lazer cut flanges from a good exhaust shop.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 07-09-2008 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

G'day sambo, I did download it from my gallery. But the internut gremlins just love me.
Not to worry there are more important things to do ...Cobra work !
Old 07-12-2008, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[IMG][/IMG] Here's anothe attempt at the temporary mods I did to the manifolds
Old 07-12-2008, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

**** ! It worked (the pic bit)...explanation... For rego I needed to put an under car system to pass noise regs, I rebuilt the original manifolds and fitted so many mufflers that the car whistled, which blew the sound meters away. It wouldn't pass for the high pitch sound on a high speed pass. I argued the point with reference to harleys and their creative mathematical averaging resulted in a perfect 91 Db pass.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quick update guys. The fbody headers didn't work. However had a guy over on LS1Tech suggest that shorties from a Silverado SS. Got em in and they work great. So I'll be making a j-pipe to connect to the side exhaust for now. I'll end up doing a 4 into 4 setup but that's not gonna happen till the car gets on the road. Funding won't allow it at this time. Here's some pics:

Tails
Build Blog
First Start
Gokart
Let's Take A Ride