Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Importing perils - seeking advice

Am just having a wonderful read of the customs legislation....I needed that sleep!

Anyway, can anyone pre-warn me of the pitfalls of sea freighted goods in advance.

This relates to the impending purchase of a Tremec gearbox and bits out of the States.

As one issue I am aware of a possible duty dodge for goods declared as made in the USA but what level of proof is needed on this and what other information if any is needed?

Have to pay GST that's a given but are there other ways and means to soften the custom's blows?

Cheers

Steve
Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

For the free trade componant - I just wrote up a statement indicating the good (wheels) were made wholly in the US from US sourced materials. I just supplied this to the shipping company when they called to let me know the goods were in town.

send me your email and I can send you a copy of the letter I used. ttenroca@tpg.com.au.

Cheers
Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Easy

Steve,

1. Thats why when you buy local its more expensive that from the net.

2. The time you have spent on the forum discussing the importation of goods you could have flown over and brought them back as hand luggage without paying the G.S.T. and duty

3. There is no such thing as a FREE LUNCH.......

STIFFY THE IMPORTER
Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Stiff

3 - everyone knows that

2 - had a mate just come back from the US, he was happy to carry on luggage but i couldn't afford the hernia operation costs for him

1 - if it touches ground in any form and customs get hold of it any net purchase will rapidly approach local prices

Trying to read the legislation is giving me a headache.

Think I'll go get a beer instead..................
Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Import

Imported a gearbox about 4 months ago. Was not able to get Free trade USA as gearbox specifies built in Mexico. Tried getting 5% duty but ended up paying 10% Duty ,Customs wanted a CAMs vehicle racing type for 5%. All up air freight, Duty, GST and custom/brokerage was approximatly $1000AUS on a US$1850 gearbox.
Wallyk
Old 08-22-2008, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffy View Post
Steve,

1. Thats why when you buy local its more expensive that from the net.

2. The time you have spent on the forum discussing the importation of goods you could have flown over and brought them back as hand luggage without paying the G.S.T. and duty

3. There is no such thing as a FREE LUNCH.......

STIFFY THE IMPORTER
Give it to 'em Stiffy
Best advice I've read this week.
The image of trying to stick a gearbox in an overhead locker appeals
Richard
Old 08-22-2008, 12:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Steven, You probably know that under $1000 is GST free and the FTA means that the only costs you should have are for the freight and handling. Provided that you have a statement from the seller that the product is made in the USA, you should have no problems. The import agent can advise of any issues that arise. I had no problems with tyres/tires and wheels.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

By co-incidence I just unloaded a container today. It was like a bottomless pit. I am sure it was bigger on the inside than it looked on the outside.

Steve, for country of origin, basically they take your word on it. I'll let you ponder the risks of a false declaration.

I assume you are sharing a container with what seems to be the favourite importer for Melbournites or another. So will have just been given a price for freight costs and won't have to worry about all the details.

Yeah, see if you can buy a Tremec that costs less than $1000 on paper.

Also check about insurance.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by 400TT; 08-22-2008 at 01:06 AM..
Old 08-22-2008, 02:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There's three of us bring in boxes and other stuff in support so am uncomfortable witha <$1000 call and as said Tremec print made in Mexico on the side which I've since learnt today is not part of the USofA. Strange since they're attached.

So may just have to take the lumps which are still cheaper than buying of someone here.

Oh and we were going to be the import agents or is there a heap of trouble likely with this route?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you have the time and energy, no problem with being the import agents. Customs is friendly and helpful with the paperwork required. It's much easier though if you can go into the customs office in person and have the ladies tell you what to write where, particularly the codes required etc. I did it myself years ago.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i got a parcel worth 1400 us

and they put that invoice on it

had to pay 170 duty

so its not too bad

if u know them u can get them to write a dodgey invoice and then email u the correct invoice

thats what i did in my latest massive box of ls2 l76 l98 air flow meters and other stuff

another time i looked at buying this special battery powered crimper
i can get it from the uk but they wanted 300 bucks for postage
would have saved only a bit after i paid duty
then if the product failed im stuffed with what to do for warranty
as it would cost me 200 bucks to send it back then 300 back here again

so maybe see if its all worth it

for a 2000 dollars part from usa say u pay 200 duty
then u might pay 200 freight

are u goin to save thta much

if u are saving abit then just pay it

ive had parcels sent as gifts and they make them look like girly boxes and ****
but very little gets past them

probably the only way to not get cause is to find someone bring **** over in a contaner and chuck the boxes in

not many containers get checked totally

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 08-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Pray the ship does not sink.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

two bits worth..I imported gauges from england and was stung pretty hard. The customs bloke then told me that if it was less than 1000 bucks it would have been cheaper so I should have bought two separate packages.
A work colleague, who caught onto the "birthday gift" angle, got a letter from the customs tax department suggesting that he had, had a few too many birthdays that year and next year he should age a bit slower. Customs do have a sense of humour !
Smithy

Last edited by Rob. Smith; 08-22-2008 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: missed a nought
Old 08-24-2008, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Glass 302 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Do a price check with Summit for freight and gearbox ad 10% duty and 10% tax and that is all you will pay then check what the same box is going to cost here Hogster air freighted one in and saved heaps
Old 08-24-2008, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Ffr

Steve,

I purchased some side pipes and a car cover from Factory Five Racing, 5 days shipping to my door, no hasstles.

The box was huge and heavy well packed and the shipping cost was OK considering the size. But the things I purchased dont need warranty, tehrefore no drama's, but for a gearbox/engine I would be a little bit worried. What if its a DOA Who would pay the freight back? I know you can get the same box locally for about the same price, no frieght, local warranty and FAST.

STIFFY
Old 08-25-2008, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the comments.

Have committed to a new TKO600 and associated parts a tad late but the contacts weren't available to me until a few days ago, a shame.

However these items will still be less than just a gearbox here by a long stretch. Boxes are to be rebadged made in the USA so I'll try the duty free angle but playing it cautious on price as I want the goods insured.

We will see how this all pans out.

Cheers
Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good luck with it mate, you've done all your homework, so I expect it will all go smoothly for you.