Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 12:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Harrison 71 Passes Engineering

Got the Harrison past the Engineer on Thursday. Got to say what initially started as a nervous day turned out really enjoyable. Thanks to Warrick and Ray (engineer) I only have some minor issues to rectify. Have the surrogate VIN. Now I put it in the garage until I come back from Texas in 2 1/2 years.
How do you store a car for 2 1/2 years?
Thanks all for your help.
Bruce
Old 08-30-2008, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

macloft

Bruce,

Well done a real relief I bet!!

Enjoy your time back in Texas.

Mmmm one of the better places I went to a few months back was just out of Fredericksburg - Luckenbach the home of real Country and Western.

Whilst I'm not a big fan I found it really a neat place.

Well done with the engineering again.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 08-30-2008, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

The tyres have a 5 year life ( warranty wise) if kept in the dark they will last longer. Mine are 8 years old and are still soft and no cracks on the tread blocks. There's a debate regarding suspending the car on stands to save the suspension and tyres. I reckon it wouldn't hurt. Fluids should be OK as long as you replace them on recommissioning. Fuel -- gone. In the old days oil in the engine would actually damage bushes, cam bearings and big ends etc due to high sulphur content; not now. Remove (secretly) a vital ignition bit to prevent unauthorised use and finally cover it up.
The hardest part is leaving this machine just as it's ready to go. That's tough.
Good luck with future business !
Regards Smithy,
P.S. I might have mine finished by the time you get back !
Old 08-30-2008, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     
Default Congratulations Bruce

Good on you Bruce! You must be pleased. If I can ask, what were the minor issues you had to sort out?
Enjoy your time in Texas.

regards

Mick
Old 08-30-2008, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi guys
Thanks for the replies
I think it will just sit in the garage with plenty of leather cream and everthing topped up with no battery
As far as items to fix
1/ The master cylinder switch (brake balance) was not working ie staying on all the time. The brakes worked well
2/ I have a superformace internal mirror and I was advised to have a plastic surround one ie Cortina (the superformance one is all metal).
3/ The tyre rating placard in the glove box did not have all the info on.
4/ I ran out of time to finish the windscreen washer.
5/ The 2 mufflers just in front of the diff hang to low by 1/2 inch so we need to bend the exhaust pipe a bit more. Luckily the pipes are all flanged. I have the rear springs jacked up as high as they can go to the extent the rear end bangs to get the 4" clearance.
6/ I didnt finish the immobiliser hook up.
I knew all the issues bar 2 but just ran out of time.

Mick and Rob I was so looking forward to taking my son to the Cobra Nationals with it. But I will now borrow some trade plates and take him to school next Monday that will blow him away as he will not know till the last minute.
Anyway guys get back to your cars you dont realise all the little things to do until you have an appiontment with the engineer to keep. Good luck
Bruce
Old 08-30-2008, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by macloft View Post
Hi guys
Thanks for the replies
I think it will just sit in the garage with plenty of leather cream and everthing topped up with no battery
As far as items to fix
1/ The master cylinder switch (brake balance) was not working ie staying on all the time. The brakes worked well
2/ I have a superformace internal mirror and I was advised to have a plastic surround one ie Cortina (the superformance one is all metal).
3/ The tyre rating placard in the glove box did not have all the info on.
4/ I ran out of time to finish the windscreen washer.
5/ The 2 mufflers just in front of the diff hang to low by 1/2 inch so we need to bend the exhaust pipe a bit more. Luckily the pipes are all flanged. I have the rear springs jacked up as high as they can go to the extent the rear end bangs to get the 4" clearance.
6/ I didnt finish the immobiliser hook up.
I knew all the issues bar 2 but just ran out of time.

Mick and Rob I was so looking forward to taking my son to the Cobra Nationals with it. But I will now borrow some trade plates and take him to school next Monday that will blow him away as he will not know till the last minute.
Anyway guys get back to your cars you dont realise all the little things to do until you have an appiontment with the engineer to keep. Good luck
Bruce
Macloft,

Hi Bruce.

Just a couple of questions.

What State are you in? It doesn't mention that in your personal summary.

Did you have any problems with the height of your seats? In NSW now the top of the headrest must be at least 850mm from the seat swab.

What was the maximum speed you had to travel at for your high speed brake test? In NSW it's 160 kph, but I'm doing my best to have that changed.

Baz.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Baz
Queensland State
The headrest heights were measured and came out at 770mm and deemed not an issue. I have adjustable head rests (Harrison seats) but even at full stretch they only come to 790 from the swab.
The speed was 100kph but it was raining really hard at the time (the engineer lives in NSW which explains the rain) and he felt going any faster might be unwise. The result he got satisfied him. He actually uses a pressure sensor on the pedal and a deceleometer (? where is spell check).
Bruce
Old 08-31-2008, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Bruce,

When do you leave???
Old 08-31-2008, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi PCC
20th September on the plane.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     
Default Congrats

Well done on the engineering Bruce!! Job well done. Now just for QT but that won't be for a while by the sound of it.

I stored a vehicle with TNT storage a few years ago and they suggested that up on blocks is not ideal since the suspension is not designed to *hang* (although I do remember my Cobra suspension hanging for about 18 months while it was being built!!). That being said, they did drive the car once a month to move it about. If you want some volunteers to do the same for your Cobra - just on the track of course - this might be a good place to ask!!

Cheers

Geof
Old 08-31-2008, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good to hear from you Geof. How is the car going. By any chance are you going to the Queensland breakfast on Sunday.
Also amazing how many people want to look after the car for me. Now let me see.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Breakfast

Bruce

Quote:
How is the car going?
Fast!! Oh and about 7000km since rego in January.

Quote:
By any chance are you going to the Queensland breakfast on Sunday.
Absolutely. It will be good to catch up before you head away.

Cheers

Geof
Old 09-01-2008, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good to hear you are getting lots of use Geof
I will try to make it with my son. Maybe you can take him for a spin. Cheers
Bruce
Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello,

I'd certainly put the car on blocks, I had to replace a brand new (tread wise) set of bfgoodrich tires on a cobra I'd purchased that had been sitting in one spot for about two years. Went thump, thump, thump down the road. The tank was also not drained, clogged everything with 'sticky' gas.

M
Old 09-02-2008, 01:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Drive

Quote:
Good to hear you are getting lots of use Geof
I will try to make it with my son. Maybe you can take him for a spin. Cheers
Bruce
Bruce

I'll take anyone and eveyone for a spin every chance I get. Hence the kms on the car.

Geof
Old 09-06-2008, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Absolutely imperative that the car is jacked up off the ground so that the car is sitting on its suspension and not with the suspension hanging.

The tyres will develop flat spots which will not recover if left sitting without moving for such a long period of time.

Dimi
Old 09-06-2008, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I agree with Dimi, lift the car and support it with chokes under the control arms, as far out as possable.
Or even better would be to make some jack stands that actually bolt to the hubs (with wheels removed) and stand on these, I have seen them on cars on display at car shows.

Or put some slave wheels on it.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Geof you certainly made a lasting impression on my son today Just kept going on about the way your car went all the way home.

I have some old tyres/ wheels which I will put on when I have my ar in storage
Thanks Guys