Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BJ's Snake

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 12:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     
Default Water Pumps

I think that this is a quick one. I have readied my Mustang EFI motor and removed everything up front except the alternator and the existing water pump. The alternator has been relocated on an alloy bracket low on the drivers' side to reduce its potential to disturb air flow in front of the air intake for the EFI. So now these two components will be driven by a gilmer belt arrangement by the crankcase pulley. Problem is the water pump on it, although a new one it seems, has to be a reverse rotation (was driven CCW by serpentine belt) and the spare one I have is also a reverse rotation! I wanted to buy a standard (clockwise) rotation pump with the lower outlet on the passenger side and have not been able to find one so far.

I assume that these are easily available and that they will fit the timing cover that is one there now? Any suggestions re a part number or possible sources would be appreciated.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

G'Day Merv,
Have you looked at a Summit Racing catalog yet ? They have all sorts of stuff and ship fast and cheap. Good Luck !
Old 09-14-2008, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Glass 302 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Flowkooler part number BRA-1650 has the outlet on the passenger side (Australian car) and is alloy and will fit the standard timing cover but then you need to have a drivers side timing indicator and balancer with that side as the timing reference
Old 09-14-2008, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Thanks will try to contact them.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CobraEd - I see on my motor that the timing indicator is already on the drivers side now. That is correct from what you are saying? is that it? Still trying to track down the FlowKooler pump.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It seems that this has been a common problem for many builders seeking to use a V belt instead of the serpentine belt, looking at the previous postings. Ford Racing have a standard rotation water pump for the Mustang 5.0L: M8051-G 351. This is an alloy pump that has the radiator outlet on the passenger side and the heater outlet on the top of the driver's side. However, if fitted to the standard timing cover (it will fit I am told) the plate between the pump and the timing cover may not create the best water flow. I am not keen to change the timing cover as well and I seem to recall somewhere that one builder altered the hole/s in the plate to suit. Is that correct or have I got this all wrong?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Glass 302 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Not sure about the plate modifications as the one I have fits on and ligns up correctly but now I will go and double check.
The pump was sourced from Summit for about $89.00 us
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Merv

I retained reverse rotation water pump and did away with the serpentine setup by using this method.

Seems to work fine. Here is the link to the guy who makes the brackets and he has the water pumps as well

http://www.replicaparts.com/
Cheers
Brett
Jaydee likes this.

Last edited by BJ's Snake; 09-15-2008 at 11:13 PM..
Old 09-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Edelbrock make a standard rotation water pump

I have one fitted to my roller-cam block

You can see a bigger version of this picture in my gallery.

I think that the side that the opening to the radiator is on is determined by the year of engine you spec

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...331+115+400065

good luck
LoBelly
Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Brett and LoBelly (two motors?) I have ordered the one described above from Ford Racing for $88. I will be interested to see how it goes. If it does not work I will be trying your system Brett - but that would mean moving the alternator up high on the driver's side (it is now low on that side to clear the airflow to the intake). I also have a gilmer belt system that I am keen to fit.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.

Last edited by Merv and Sharon; 09-16-2008 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: image
Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Dont forget youll need a standard rotation timing cover.

Regards.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mando the guy at Ford Racing said this will fit the existing water pump, if decided to do so. Will need to consider coolant flow but he also said that many had fitted this pump without further change and with no dire consequences. Is this impossible?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Sharon and Merv, you would think the guy at Ford would know what he is talking about. I had the same experience as you after my motor was built. The engine builder told me if I wanted to use gilmer drive I had to change the waterpump to standard rotation. Its a few years since my motor was built but for some reason I remember having to change the timing cover as well, maybe it was for another reason.

Regards.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB #145, Ford 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     

Not looking to resurrect an old topic...but I get that the stock 5.0 HO block's pump IS reverse rotation = pulley spins counter clockwise ... so standard rotation pump= pulley spins clockwise,like the rest of the accessories thus regardless of which direction the pulley spins,the impeller on the pump moves the water in the same direction..so..in from the lower rad hose,thru the block and out of the upper rad hose into the rad and spinning a reverse rotation pump the opposite way(clockwise) would result in no water movement.

So question is.. if I fit the standard clockwise WP to the 5.0 HO block with a GILMER set up, rather than my current serpentine reverse drive set up..are we are in the zone for this application...I understand that the pumps are identical apart from the directional impeller..but my concern still is...IS this a direct bolt up with hoses in the same place and do the bolts still line up...or do we need to modify the timing case housing...and any one got a part number for a compatible 5.0 HO standard clockwise rotating WP suitable for the gilmer pullies
Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It should be fine, based on my experience. I have the Ford Racing standard rotation pump (actually I bought two, with one as a spare) and have had no problems at all with cooling in any situation. I had to have lower pulley fabricated (see separate thread) to get the V belt arrangement I wanted. It all bolted up to the same timing cover housing. I originally had a Gilmer but after a buggered alternator bearing (despite not over doing the belt tension), I chucked that, as many others have done.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

What about if you fitted a idler pulley just left of the water pump? Then It would still run acw.
JD
Old 08-27-2012, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It would if you wanted to fit the extra pulley - as per the original thread. I liked the simpler arrangement however, and they were interchangeable.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looking at that set up...every pulley is rolling clockwise there and the ins and outs are where they need to be...so thanks Merv and Shaz......no sure where Jaydee is going as I do not see a directional change (ie like the serpentine belt where the back of the belt is providing reverse CCW drive on a pulley)...

but thanx for the input so far...I would live a P/N if anyone has one
Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICETOO View Post
...I would love a P/N if anyone has one
ICETOO

Here is my setup - similar to Merv's:

This is a standard rotation pump from Ford Racing. PN: M-8501-G351.

Ford Racing M-8501-G351 - Ford Racing Mechanical Water Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com
FORD RACING STANDARD ROTATION V-BELT WATER PUMP -- M-8501-G351

It bolts to the original timing cover which apears to have actually been designed for the standard rotation pump in regards to water flow between the cover and the pump. The reverse rotation pump appears to have been an afterthought. At least on my engine.

Good luck

Geof
Old 09-01-2012, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Geoff, thats exactly what I am after...

Now do I need to factor in short series vs long series at all (read that on a US post somewhere) for the Gilmer. I suppose that spacers are available anyhow and it will depend on the alignment once its all together.

I will probable brace the Alternator bracket as well as RAY (COB 96- my cars stunt double) chewed his first gilmer belt out due to alternator bracket flex...and sorted this with a brace back to the charge air manifold. see below pic.

I am also considering cutting the pump out of the equation and going for a Moroso electric WP or similar.

Thanks Again for the intel