Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     
Default Rego Rules on importing from USA?

Hello All,
I have a customer in Australia that is looking to import a Cobra from the states that has not been titled (it would be new). Is there a list of regulations and required equipment I can consult to assist him? I realize everything is open to a single inspectors interpretation as we face here.

Biggest thing I assume is the engine selection? Emissions equipment?

Cobra would be RHD.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Hello Jay

The consolidated list of rules/regulations is contained within the Australian Design Rules (ADRs)

The following link takes you to a .pdf that has a summary list of the ADRs

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s_nov_2007.pdf

You can purchase the ADRs on CD (or can find them on www.comlaw.gov.au)

Engines are an issue - many now choosing the LS series rather than contend with the 5.4 modular engine (4.6 is not certified) however, I understand some states have their own sub-set of rules that will allow a particular engine combo - hopefully someone will chime in here.

Good Luck

LoBelly
Old 11-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Hey thanks for the lead. Too bad the 4.6 is not certified. I suppose you must follow the Chevy family to keep things on the up and up?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Ford 4.6 DOHC, 5 speed gearbox
Not Ranked     

Cashburn
The 4.6 is acceptable in some states of Australia. I am putting a 2004 Mach 1 Mustang 4.6 into a Harrison cobra kit here in Queensland Australia. Before committing to the 4.6 I did some extensive investigation on this engine. Under all the regulations that I could find and comparing the US EPA and California standards with the Euro standards (which Aust has adopted), the 4.6 post 2000 is compliant with Euro 3 emission standards which are still acceptable under the ADR's. My engineer (Ray Cross) has confirmed the above and also has a letter from the Australian govt department (which controls EPA standards on Vehicles in Aust) that all engines imported from the USA and post year 2000 are Euro 3 compliant and therefore acceptable in Aust vehicles. The problem arises with the various state govt departments that are responsible for vehicle registration and the individual inspectors whether they accept some engines. I can't attest to other states but certainly the Queensland registration people (Dept of Transport) will accept the 4.6 engine (there are a number of 4.6's in Queensland registered for the road. I believe the state of New South Wales is the problem here. Maybe someone here can shed further light on the subject.

Regards
Colin
Old 11-17-2008, 02:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jay
The 4.6 is acceptable in some states of Australia. I am putting a 2004 Mach 1 Mustang 4.6 into a Harrison cobra kit here in Queensland Australia. Before committing to the 4.6 I did some extensive investigation on this engine. Under all the regulations that I could find and comparing the US EPA and California standards with the Euro standards (which Aust has adopted), the 4.6 post 2000 is compliant with Euro 3 emission standards which are still acceptable under the ADR's. My engineer (Ray Cross) has confirmed the above and also has a letter from the Australian govt department (which controls EPA standards on Vehicles in Aust) that all engines imported from the USA and post year 2000 are Euro 3 compliant and therefore acceptable in Aust vehicles. The problem arises with the various state govt departments that are responsible for vehicle registration and the individual inspectors whether they accept some engines. I can't attest to other states but certainly the Queensland registration people (Dept of Transport) will accept the 4.6 engine (there are a number of 4.6's in Queensland registered for the road. I believe the state of New South Wales is the problem here. Maybe someone here can shed further light on the subject.

Regards
Colin
Old 11-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Thanks Colin,
To be fully compliant in your case are you including cats and other equipment standard to the 2004 Mustang Mach 1? I see you have supercharged it? Was that after rego?

How would Queensland handle a brand new crate 4.6 like the Aluminator from Ford Racing?

See: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9871

Old 11-18-2008, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jay,
Yes I have cats the same as the original Mustang. This is a requirement for vehicle registration. Unfortunately, in Australia these vehicles are classified as ICV's (individually constructed vehicles) and therefore must comply with the current design and emission requirements the same as a vehicle from ford or GM. This makes it more difficult to build them rather than in the US where they are classified as 1960's type vehicles. This rule severely limits the type of engines we can use. Many builders of cobra's are going down the road of the GM engines due to the 4.6 being very wide and the 5.4 being higher in the plenum and won't fit under the bonnet without some serious modification. The 4.6 engines are quite rare in Australia as they were never manufactured in Australia so only came in on imported cars such as the Ford Explorer. The 5.4 is built in Australia and Ford went from the 5.0 litre to the 5.4 in Australian made cars.
The engine I have came out of an existing Mustang that had only done 16,000 miles so already had VIN numbers. This will make it easier to register than a vehicle with a crate motor. Having said that, Michael Blair was able to register his DRB (Aust Kit manufacturer) with a 4.6 crate engine without any problems (in Queensland). When I purchased the engine it came with a new Kenny Bell 2.1 supercharger and I was all hot to put it on the engine, but I think old age and serious consideration as to whether I needed that much power won over and I have sold it to Michael Blair. I will probably kick myself after I get the car on the road (hopefully within the next month) but hey thats life.
I think the best option for you would be to correspond with the engineer (Ray Cross) as he will be better able to explain the in's and out's of all the regulations. Ray has completed the engineering for many Cobra's in Queensland and New South Wales and is eminently qualified to advise you. The car will need to be engineered in Australia prior to registration anyway.
I have put my email address below, shoot me an email and I can send back the contact for Ray as well as send you copies of the current ADR's (Aust design rules) that will apply to your vehicle. A number of imported US kits have been successfully registered in Australia.

Regards
Colin
colinh@qldbreathing.com
Old 11-18-2008, 02:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB. Engine out :)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Thanks Colin,
To be fully compliant in your case are you including cats and other equipment standard to the 2004 Mustang Mach 1? I see you have supercharged it? Was that after rego?

How would Queensland handle a brand new crate 4.6 like the Aluminator from Ford Racing?

See: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9871

Looks abit like my new engine
Old 11-18-2008, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Maybe Wazza might have something to say here. His brother in law just bought back a brand new cobra from the states and got it registered in Queensland. Live side pipes, carby fed 351, no cats..... something to do with the fact it was registered in the us as a 66 cobra replica. (year of manufacture of engine??) I am pretty sure it was brought in under the older than 25 year rule which means no ADR's etc...... worth a look.

Towmaster.