Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     
Default Last Minute Checks before Engineering

Hi All,

Getting ready to commit to eng end of next week and just wanted to check a couple of things:

(I will double check these with my Eng beforehand but just thought I'd ask the gurus.)

1. CR "Door opener cables" - Do you need these to be installed? or just opening from the latch by hand is ok?

2. "Breakaway" Rearview Mirror - my eng tells me I need a breakaway variant - I am planning on visiting pick-a-part on Sat and thought I might ask anyone who has got one before which car they obtained it from (save me some time).

3. Ride height - 100mm 4 inches -- I am pretty close on the drivers side with the muffler - this is without me in it. Not that I weigh too much, but does Bernie do this ride height test with weights/people in the car?

4. Does the eng calibrate speedo - or do you need to do that yourself on the "home test track"?

thanks for your time will post some final photos tomorrow night when I fit the mirrors and padding.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 11-19-2008, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Gregg

A latch inside the door should be adequate.

Mirror depends on preference, I've used a large XD mirror for better vision. These glue onto the windscreen.

Dont remember Bernie doing the ride height measurement but am sure he did. It was certainly on the empty car.

If using VDO electronic speedo, you need to calibrate independantly. I can lead you to a marked 1km test strip near Enklemans. I walked a pedometer on a local road to mark up the test distance.

Have fun.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Gregg, don't forget to leave the $100 note in the glove box, it might just make the difference!

Only kidding. Good luck with engineering and please let us know of any "gotchyas" with Bernie as I'll be using him as well.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 11-19-2008, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I have not gone through engineering, but would assume the latch on the door needs to be easily and readily accesable.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
I have not gone through engineering, but would assume the latch on the door needs to be easily and readily accesable.
Yeah I spoke with engineer yesterday and he said the latch needs to be easily accessible etc. No drama's, I've got 2 weeks to get it right.

Put the padding on the Dash Rim and Steering wheel last night. Engineer reckons I have to adjust my ride height with 2 passengers in the car (fair enough). Now that I have a C Spanner that fits (5 bucks from Pedders) this shouldnt be a problem as there is plently of thread left in the AVOs.

Regarding the "breakaway" mirror - glue is deemed breakaway so I will be just glueing on a mirror to the top of the Dash (or Windscreen) - depends how it looks.

Wanted to post some photos but the missus had flattened the battery in the camera - I am sure this is a girl thing.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 11-20-2008, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
Gregg, don't forget to leave the $100 note in the glove box, it might just make the difference!

Only kidding. Good luck with engineering and please let us know of any "gotchyas" with Bernie as I'll be using him as well.

Cheers,
Paul
Hi Paul,

Bugger - I havent made a glovebox yet - I'll have to find another "obvious" spot to hide the $100 bucks.

Will let you know how I go with Engineering.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkrv8 View Post
Yeah I spoke with engineer yesterday and he said the latch needs to be easily accessible etc. No drama's, I've got 2 weeks to get it right.

Gregg

So does this mean keyless/ handleless entry and exit isn't permissible?
I have setup boot or some say "trunk" opener solenoids that run off the immobiliser keypad and are independent on each side.
Would having the button to open the doors in an easy to access spot suffice?
Old 11-21-2008, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwest34au View Post
I have setup boot or some say "trunk" opener solenoids that run off the immobiliser keypad and are independent on each side.
I reckon that would suffice.

I think as long as the driver or the passenger can open their doors without too much reaching around etc. In my case if I didnt have the pull cable arrangement you have to reach around right behing you a flick the latch.

Given there is no roof on the car I reckon I could get out pretty quck without opening the doors

Rgds

Gregg
Old 11-21-2008, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwest34au View Post

From my understanding, the answer is no.
It might be different with a car with no roof, but I know that all vehicles must have an easily accessable handle to open from the outside, this is for incase of an accident, (The handle does not have to be on the outside but it must be accesable from the outside)
The law was changed recently in this regard after a show car was crashed, the car was fitted with electric popper door releases, when the vehicle crashed, the power was cut to the doors, thus they could not be opened.
I read on a hotrod site that the law was changed so that manual release still had to exist.
But as I say, things could (and you would assume) would be different with an open top car.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.